PDA

View Full Version : e36 vs s13/s14

three.eighteen.
08-02-2004, 04:28 PM
should i sell the bmw and buy a 240 (for sure will get sr20 swap)? pros, cons?

boostfed
08-02-2004, 04:31 PM
If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan. if you want a great looking car with great quality that is respectable, keep the bimmer.

three.eighteen.
08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
the main thing is, i want a car that is fun and reliable, the bmw is reliable and handles wicked, but its slow, and for the amount of money i want to spend, a 240 would be much faster

KoukiS14
08-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by boostfed
If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan. if you want a great looking car with great quality that is respectable, keep the bimmer.

This coming from a guy who owns the ultimate "boy racer" car :rolleyes:

Keep the Bimmer

Idratherbsidewayz
08-02-2004, 04:50 PM
The Bimmer has a lot more class. But if you manage to find a 240 with a really clean body, then I suggest you buy it and do the SR20 swap. I love mine...

Originally posted by boostfed
If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan.

Boy racer? The civic is a boy race car. All the 16 yr olds who get them think they're the fastest bastards in the world till a Nissan comes by and spanks them. They proceed to go on Beyond hatin on a car better than theirs.

three.eighteen.
08-02-2004, 04:57 PM
i realize that im not that much of a stickler for the showiness, i'd rather have boost and the ability to pull on a corvette, im 19 and have the rest of my life to build/buy a sick bmw...the only thing im worried about is can a 240 handle and drive as well as the bmw with mods?

Hakkola
08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Sell it, if it was anything other than a 318 or 320 I'd say keep it, people are just blinded by the BMW badge. IMO the 318 is nothing great to own. S13/S14 :thumbsup:

Actually I'd take a 240 over any E36 that isn't a 328is or M3.

Big_C_racing
08-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I think we need to know which engine your BMW has??? I was in the same situation as you at one time and would way rather have the BMW after having driven many 240s. Pain in the ass finding a decent one also.

ZorroAMG
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Big_C_racing
I think we need to know which engine your BMW has??? I was in the same situation as you at one time and would way rather have the BMW after having driven many 240s. Pain in the ass finding a decent one also.

LOL...hmmm his name is three.eighteen, he drives an E36 so i would hazard a guess and say it is a 318i or is ,

KoukiS14: There will be no "buying a 318" he already has it.:banghead:

READ people...

Keep the 318 if it is in MINT shape..cancerous suggests rust and translates to big $$$ for our bavarian friend..otherwise look at a 92-93 325 or something similar.

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW...You can put all the suspension mods on a 240 and make it fast as hell, but it'll NEVER feel as solid or well built, especially at highway speeds..

So basically what is more important to YOU right now? We can't tell you that :)

Ben
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Big_C_racing

it's a 5spd 318. (4cyl)
I think more importantly we should be asking what model year 240.

I would definatly scrap your base bimmer for an S14 hands down, far superior cars.

Like Hakk said, unless you got a 5spd 328 or M3, not much to really say.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW....

Maybe an M bimmer, but a base model entry line BMW aint the cats pyjamas, I have more respect for an SR20 240 than a bottom line 318, thats a car for someone who just wants to say they own a bmw.

///M3
08-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Keep the 318 if it is in MINT shape..cancerous suggests rust and translates to big $$$ for our bavarian friend..otherwise look at a 92-93 325 or something similar.

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW...You can put all the suspension mods on a 240 and make it fast as hell, but it'll NEVER feel as solid or well built, especially at highway speeds..

I agree. But if you wanna trick out a bimmer, be prepared to spend alota cash.

Or you can experiment with a 240, and spend twice as less on mods.

Big_C_racing
08-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Sorry about that....go with a 95+ 240sx or upgrade to a nice BMW with some guts. Just remember that there are a lot of crappy 240's and BMWs out there, make sure you know what your getting into.

three.eighteen.
08-02-2004, 07:27 PM
yeah...the bmw was my first car, lots of mistakes went into it, so i want to find a project car that is mint to begin with, the reason i want to buy the 240 is i realize that modding a bmw is expensive, and i should do it when i actually have the funds for it

statick
08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
if u want speed and performance and all that , i'd say go with the S14....as previously mentioned u need lots of money to pu in2 an E36 , or an engine swap for it to perform nicely...

boostfed
08-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14

This coming from a guy who owns the ultimate "boy racer" car :rolleyes:

Keep the Bimmer

I own a civic because I'm not 20 anymore, and can afford to have one plush vehicle to daily drive in, and then another car to have for the weekends or whenever I feel like it. If I could only have one car you can bet your ass I wouldn't be driving a civic.

FiveFreshFish
08-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
should i sell the bmw and buy a 240 (for sure will get sr20 swap)? pros, cons?

The BMW is your first and only car, so why not try the 240 for something different?

bol
08-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Sell it, if it was anything other than a 318 or 320 I'd say keep it, people are just blinded by the BMW badge. IMO the 318 is nothing great to own. S13/S14 :thumbsup:

Actually I'd take a 240 over any E36 that isn't a 328is or M3.

Originally posted by Ben

Like Hakk said, unless you got a 5spd 328 or M3, not much to really say.

Maybe an M bimmer, but a base model entry line BMW aint the cats pyjamas, I have more respect for an SR20 240 than a bottom line 318, thats a car for someone who just wants to say they own a bmw.

I think you should rethink your statements. I just bought an E36 318is and I think it's a great little car. It's not a fast car. There's noboubt that a 240 with an SR20 swap would be faster but speed isn't nessecarily important. What's the point of having a few hundred HP and suspension that can barely handle city streets if you don't drive on the track. I don't drive on the track and I don't need a few hundred HP so the 318 was a perfect car for me. They're cheap, reliable and great on gas. They have all the little comforts that people buy a BMW for. My car is 10 years old and it has heated seats... that's not even an option on a lot of brand new cars these days!

Acceleration isn't everything guys... as you two should know. Besides, after riding sportbikes on and off the track even rage's Porsche seems slow.

Oh, and BTW. The E36 318 handles better than any other E36 that isn't an M3. It's lighter.

Ben
08-02-2004, 11:02 PM
hmmm...I never said anything about accelleration.

We're discussing a heavily modivied 240 versus a entrylevel bmw.

Of course the BMW has creature comforts, it's not a base model neon. for what they sold for they should. Hell, beat ass VW jettas from 89 had heated seats and those cars are worth like 10 grand off the lot.

:whocares:

All I said is that I wouldn't base the decision of owning a 318is just cause it's a BMW...were looking at modifying a 240 (still havend been told what year) that sure as hell wont have stock suspension if you're gonna spend the time and money on an SR20 swap, and a basically unmodified, cept for suspension/wheels, bimmer.

2 completely different cars here. Yes, stock for stock, same model year cars (that would put his 318 up against the s13), I would choose the BMW, but if you're comparing a Modified s13 or s14 to his current 318, 240 indefinatly.

If he buys the 240, his whole automotive experience will change greatly.

bol
08-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben

If he buys the 240, his whole automotive experience will change greatly.

Yep... that's sure the truth. I simply responded because people were cutting down the 318 because it's not a fast car. Depends on your wants in the end... If I wanted a fast car I wouldn't have bought mine. I went from a 330Ci to a truck to a 318is... and let me tell you... it's sure nice to be in something comfortable again. Fast and comfort can be had... but we all know how expensive those cars are!

DeathBy240
08-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Get the best of both worlds. Swap an Sr into your BMW.

http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/sr20det.htm

If it can be done in an E30 that an E36 cant be that hard. :D

three.eighteen.
08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
the 318 handles amazing (especially with the amount of suspension i have in it)...you can plow onto offramps with the utmost confidence, and i have been enjoying that bit of the car for the last while, but it just isnt fast enough for me...which brings about the dilemma im really facing here...will an s13 with modified suspension (coilovers, cross-braces, sway bars, urethane bushings etc) handle just as well as my E36 with suspension mods as well?

SpoonEK9@STRD
08-03-2004, 08:24 PM
probably handle 2 times better. well with the right wheels.

m10-power
08-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Keep the 318 and put a turbo on the engine, The M42 is a stout engine rigid block, forged crankshaft and rods stock. Anything can be made to handle with the right parts, the E36 chassis is one of the best ever made. The 318i has the best balance out of the lot of them, just needs some more power.

sdubz
08-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
the 318 handles amazing (especially with the amount of suspension i have in it)...you can plow onto offramps with the utmost confidence, and i have been enjoying that bit of the car for the last while, but it just isnt fast enough for me...which brings about the dilemma im really facing here...will an s13 with modified suspension (coilovers, cross-braces, sway bars, urethane bushings etc) handle just as well as my E36 with suspension mods as well?

if it wasn't fast enough why'd u get it in the first place

statick
08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
i test drove a 318i, and ur rite three.eighteen., it handles pretty well, granted it didnt have the mods urs mite... but my s14 handles like a dream, better than that e36, better than w202, and IMO a tad better than some higher end imports like 300zx (or so it seems when i ride in one).....and the only thing done to my car is sport lowering springs and tokico shocks......no doubt about it that with a little bit of money in ur suspension and all that, an S13/S14 would handle better than ur E36.....unless u hav crazy ass mods or sum sht..

Ridelikeme
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
its obvious what u want to do, u dont need us telling u and supporting u into getting a 240... get the 240 and in a few years when u are done with the speed, and want class again get the bimmer... cause no matter what u do to that car, people will notice a nicely done up bmw, or benz, or audi over a economy based import such as the 240... only in japan are they built for track, so build up your 240, and do it well.. sell it in 4 years and buy a 328

Weapon_R
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
An S14 would be superior to the base BMW IMO. It's quicker in stock form, it's more reliable, and it is easy to make it handle better.

The only thing that your has is what others refer to as "respect". LOL, if you need a car to earn you respect, you might as well end it all now.

three.eighteen.
08-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by sdubz

if it wasn't fast enough why'd u get it in the first place

it was my first car after driving a minivan...it felt fast to me, besides do you think its a good idea to give a 16 year old kid 200+hp?

Originally posted by statick
i test drove a 318i, and ur rite three.eighteen., it handles pretty well, granted it didnt have the mods urs mite... but my s14 handles like a dream, better than that e36, better than w202, and IMO a tad better than some higher end imports like 300zx (or so it seems when i ride in one).....and the only thing done to my car is sport lowering springs and tokico shocks......no doubt about it that with a little bit of money in ur suspension and all that, an S13/S14 would handle better than ur E36.....unless u hav crazy ass mods or sum sht..

yeah i have crazy ass suspension mods

you guys are right, over winter i'll fix all the odds and ends and get it ready for sale in spring...unless, while reading maximum boost i have an epiphany or something

Glenn 328is
08-06-2004, 09:56 AM
How much does a decent 240 go for and that sr20 engine swap?

Guys are swapping M3 motors into their 325s and 328s all the time. You could pick up a decent 328 motor with lsd with other goodies for under $4000 and your 318 would be a nice sleeper. But I am a biased bimmer owner and know less than zero about nissans. Although, I love the 350Z. :D

GTS Jeff
08-06-2004, 04:30 PM
is money a factor? i havent seen a single person here mention money at all. if ure looking from a budget viewpoint, it might be better on the wallet to stick with the bimmer, since it would be fairly quick with an M engine and tranny...rather than selling the bimmer and losing the value of its mods and having to start all over again with another old car that needs repairs and other junk as well.

chibi_chas
08-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
is money a factor? i havent seen a single person here mention money at all. if ure looking from a budget viewpoint, it might be better on the wallet to stick with the bimmer, since it would be fairly quick with an M engine and tranny...rather than selling the bimmer and losing the value of its mods and having to start all over again with another old car that needs repairs and other junk as well.

^ what he said

three.eighteen.
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
money is a large factor...the bmw is a pit for parts, and like i mentioned before, i made several rash decisions on buying this car, and i think with experience gained, i really know what to look for when buying a car, when the time comes, i will be looking for a pristine 240 to start modifying upon

chibi_chas
08-09-2004, 01:07 AM
S13/14 . parts are cheaper i think =] + BMW parts are waaaay to expensive