PDA

View Full Version : Bigest tires on a stock cherokee?

CSMRX7
08-02-2004, 10:42 PM
What are the bigest tires that you could fit on a stock ride heigth '99 Cherokee???

Thanks

Phuqu
08-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Depends how much rubbing you want to live with.

31's on stock rims will work with minor rubbing. Watch the flares and also the LCA's especially if you have MT's

JENSSEN
08-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
Depends how much rubbing you want to live with.

31's on stock rims will work with minor rubbing. Watch the flares and also the LCA's especially if you have MT's

WRONG! 31" tires rub even with my 3" Lift, I ended up trimming about 1" of sheet metal off and moving the flares up. You also should be careful when choosing a lift for the newer Cherokees, they have a tendancy of getting pretty serious drive line vibes when you do a susp lift. only seems to be the newer ones though

Phuqu
08-15-2004, 12:15 PM
33" tires will even rub with a 5" lift.

30" will rub too.

If he can live with some small rubbing he'll be fine. I think everyone who has had a 4x4 and wants bigger tires without a lift will live with a little rubbing.

If you want a budget lift I can get you 1-3" spacers for the front and you could add a block or an add-a-leaf to the back.

If you do plan to get a lift bigger than 3" drop your transfer case and inch and get a SYE.

turboMiata
08-15-2004, 08:34 PM
During articulation, the tire is going to get stuffed into the wheel well, therefore regardless of how much lift, you'll still be looking at trimming some sheet metal. Longer shocks and springs only buy you a little bit more travel before things rub.

civic_stylez
08-15-2004, 10:08 PM
hook up the sawsall and some tj fenders...it looks good..as for your question you might get away with 30s, but 29s are probably the best bet.

Phuqu
08-15-2004, 11:46 PM
If your a real offroader you will learn to live with tires rubbing. :)

JEEPSTER
08-17-2004, 04:38 AM
WRONG! 31" tires rub even with my 3" Lift, I ended up trimming about 1" of sheet metal off and moving the flares up. You also should be careful when choosing a lift for the newer Cherokees, they have a tendancy of getting pretty serious drive line vibes when you do a susp lift. only seems to be the newer ones though

Listen to everyone but this guy I have own TONS of jeeps and the newer cherokee with fit a 31' with the stock 18"/8.5" LTD RIMS or even the Laredo Rim. just make sure they aren't to wide if you do get some spacers and test before you buy. But the little rubbs here and there tell you that your taller then the guy next to you.

I had a 98' Cherokee last year, I had 31"/ 9.5" might of been 10.5". Very minor rubbing and only when flexing.

My ride now is 95' Grand Cherokee LTD, Black, Lifted Rubicon 4.5", 32" X 12.5" Nice and Beefy but nothing to BIG. I took off all the gold and decals, even the V8 5.2 L one. Tinted the front windows. IN progress of trying to get my friends 98' 5.9L carcoal color exterior, and a black leather interior.

wjjeeper
08-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Check out jeepsunlimited
You should find all the info you want on the Cherokee forum. :)

08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
http://www.universityofjeep.ca/forums/index.php?s=

this is also a very good fourm to check out! they have almost everything you will want to know!