PDA

View Full Version : Buying an 04 jetta TDI, any thoughts?

KAG
08-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Just wondering from you VW fans of what you think of the new TDI? pros, cons, horror story's.

Thanks.

RiceCake
08-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Damn good choice:thumbsup: Milage on the thing rocks :drool:

Forcefed
08-03-2004, 12:48 AM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Pump Duce is just shit!!!! lots of problems with injectors and alot of other stupid things....Buy an 02-03 with low km's.....

bart
08-03-2004, 01:13 AM
thats "pump duse"

and ya, until we get better fuel, you might have problems with them.

KAG
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Until we get better fuel? isnt desiel the all the same. I've been scouring the internet, there is very little mention of it here, but they do mention alot of window problems in the 02-03. Clutch problems in all models except TDI, and a few others about the moonsoon stero.....

QuasarCav
08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
I think it has to do with our sulphur content.

In the UK its like 5ppm but here it's closer to 500ppm. correct me if i'm wrong.

KAG
08-03-2004, 10:33 AM
OK, just got off phone with dealer. he told me to add half a can of fuel additive every fill up, die to higher sulpher here in canada. But apparently, we are getting the cleaner fuel in a few months, so it's all good.

hjr
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
its not the sulfur content. more sulfur is actually better. Its acts like lead used to in normal gas. the downside is its not as clean. The thing that makes our diesel of less quality is the cetane. Our fuel has less of it than Europe. Cetane is similar to octane in regular fuels.

in regards to the pd tdi's, my mom has one and she has had no problems with it (other than the recall on pan heaters in the middle of edmontons coldest winter). they are faster than the older models, and run quiter. they are not the same as the european version as they do need to run on the lesser fuel. If you want you can run additives though.

sputnik
08-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bart
thats "pump duse"

and ya, until we get better fuel, you might have problems with them.

5 ppm Sulphur diesel is available in several locations in Calgary. (Most diesel is still 50 ppm).

Europe is going to be 1 ppm pretty soon though.

P NUT
08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
as per my friend working at the VW dealer, new TDi's are shit. The turbos are variable vane and clog up with carbon. Then they have to be replaced... or the MAF bungs up... or the intake manifold gets clogged with some shit... Those are the problems that hurt power anyway.

He said the only way he'd own one was if it were on warranty. Ditch before warranty runs out!

KAG
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
So the 03's are better?

bart
08-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by KAG
OK, just got off phone with dealer. he told me to add half a can of fuel additive every fill up, die to higher sulpher here in canada. But apparently, we are getting the cleaner fuel in a few months, so it's all good.

no, more like a couple of years. for all your info you will ever need on tdi's, goto www.tdiclub.com

Originally posted by sputnik

5 ppm Sulphur diesel is available in several locations in Calgary. (Most diesel is still 50 ppm).

Europe is going to be 1 ppm pretty soon though.

oh ya??? ok please let me know where i can buy 5ppm diesel in calgary!!!!!! (0.05% means 500ppm, such as shell ultradiesel for example)

Originally posted by P NUT
as per my friend working at the VW dealer, new TDi's are shit. The turbos are variable vane and clog up with carbon. Then they have to be replaced... or the MAF bungs up... or the intake manifold gets clogged with some shit... Those are the problems that hurt power anyway.

He said the only way he'd own one was if it were on warranty. Ditch before warranty runs out!

all tdi engines come with VV turbos. things start clogging because of the fuel once again, disable the EGR, and it wont clog.

the new PD's are more sensitive to the fuel here. i wouldnt buy one for now, until we get the better euro fuel.

germany now has synthetic diesel fuel, its colorless and odorless, it looks exactly like water!!!! but man, does it have ooomph!

KAG
08-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Did even more research. Turns out if you dont add theis fuel additive every 3rd tank, then yes, the intake manifold gets carboned up. Add the additive, drive the piss out of once in a while, and shift at high RPM's and things will work as they should.

k_dawg
08-03-2004, 05:05 PM
not too sure about the TDI but vw jetta are very sick, does have problems but if you buy new with warenty you should be fine.

bart
08-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by KAG
Did even more research. Turns out if you dont add theis fuel additive every 3rd tank, then yes, the intake manifold gets carboned up. Add the additive, drive the piss out of once in a while, and shift at high RPM's and things will work as they should.

the best additive is Power Service Grey Bottle, it boost cetane 6 points. i overdose every tank and i'm fine. and dont think about buying aftermarket airfilter, its a waste of money, nothing beats the oem paper one.

$tillqls
08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
get the new 04 1.8T GLI, my buddy just picked one up, its pretty nice but overpriced. Looks a hell of a lot better than the tdi.:)

elpepe
08-04-2004, 08:30 PM
ugh... I wouldn't touch a jetta... heard WAAAAY too many horror stories bout their reliability.... sure the milage is tempting, but you will pay for it in ways you would hope not to....

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Volkswagen_Jetta.html

$tillqls
08-04-2004, 08:39 PM
my jetta has not had any problems yet even though its at 100 thousand with many mods, but its true that the unlucky bunch do have harsh problems with them.:)

bighead2267
08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
yea, i heard ppl complain more than ppl appreciate about VW i thought their quality is almost reach to the German standard already...........oh well, i try to stay away from euro car anyways, or i'll be broke to mod it and maintaince it.......haha!!

KAG
08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Well I just bought it today. Hopefully it is a reliable one. The sport model is nce looking and has the same suspension as the 1.8 T, 16" rims, and sweet bucket's up front. I also wanted to get 1200 KMS/tank. I drive alot and even filling my accord every week was getting pricy.