PDA

View Full Version : Unmanned Photo Radar

kenny
11-05-2002, 03:17 PM
Rumors of Unmanned Photo Radar coming to Alberta Streets! (most likely tested in Edmonton first) because those cops just love photo radar while the Calgary cops (The Police Association anyway) hate it.

Wonder who testifies in court if its unmanned and you fight it!?

James
11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Thats Bullshit!!:thumbsdow

max_boost
11-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Why do the Calgary cops hate photo radar? Because they don't like sitting in a SUV all day?:rofl:

kenny
11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Why do the Calgary cops hate photo radar? Because they don't like sitting in a SUV all day?:rofl:

They don't think it is effective at creating safer streets and prefer the interaction with people by pulling them over. Edmonton cops are the opposite. Weird, I always thought Calgary loved photo radar, its everywhere.

James
11-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Yeah Calgary Cops have ALOT more radar traps,as apposed to photo radar, this way they can run out into Traffic, and pull your ass over, instead of just "Click, flash".....Ive had my Share of both kinds of Tickets:banghead:

Moe
11-05-2002, 03:51 PM
I've only two speeding tickets so far. The first saw me get pulled over on Deerfoot by an unmarked car. The second was a radar trap. Again the cop actually walked out and signalled for me to pull over. :banghead:

Either way.. radar sucks!

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kenny

They don't think it is effective at creating safer streets and prefer the interaction with people by pulling them over. Edmonton cops are the opposite. Weird, I always thought Calgary loved photo radar, its everywhere. since edmonton is the ghetto, cops here have a higher chance of getting popped from pulling over crazies

legendboy
11-05-2002, 04:16 PM
there's gonna be one on every street :thumbsdow

szw
11-05-2002, 04:33 PM
I read somewhere that Edmonton police chief admitted that the photoradar was being used to raise funds, and was NOT effective in keeping streets safer. No other city has said that.

Either you've got it backwards, or I do...hehe.

I read it last week too, i'll try to find out where. I think it was in the paper.

max_boost
11-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kenny

They don't think it is effective at creating safer streets and prefer the interaction with people by pulling them over. Edmonton cops are the opposite. Weird, I always thought Calgary loved photo radar, its everywhere.

I much rather get a flash instead of him running out on the street, pointing at me and pulling me over.

But I don't speed so I do not apply:tongue:

speedracer
11-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Free digital camera :angel:

ThreePly
11-05-2002, 06:14 PM
unmanned photo radar might mean less police officers are needed...I'd be afraid too if I was a cop. Edmonton cops are dumb, so they don't even realize this.

LaughingTiger
11-05-2002, 06:38 PM
I'd rather keep the photoradar...It's doesn't effect my insurance, and there are no demerits....:thumbsup:

Unmanned photo means more cops on the street, so more tickets given anyway...

theken
11-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Cops in calgary, alberta even believe that photo radar is a cash thing, the photo radar does nothing to slow people down, people will speed as long as they have the money to pay the tickets. people slow down when they know of a photo radar location, but as soon as they pass it they will speed up again so the police only use it to generate money for themselves. My work truck only has an AM radio so i listen to qr77 all day and they had a discussion with a cop. Unmanned photo radars wouldn't work anyways, the radar gun needs to be pointed at something on the front of your car that is shiny and the cop only has 3 seconds to get 3 readings, so an unmanned photo radar wouldn't be ab;le to pick up the shiny spots on the front of your car such as a chrome peice or the headlights. I talked to a photoradar cop at work also.:thumbsup: he said the best thing you can do is get smoked headlight covers and a bra for the front and cover anything shiny up and they won't be able to pick you up on the radar. Also :drool: buy a lasar jammer they are around 3-400$ but they do the best work, the radar gets pointed at the car and the jammer sends the signals all over the place and obsorbs most of the radar which doesnt get sent back to the gun which means they cant get a read on your car which will save your ass from tickets.:thumbsup:

mwmhong
11-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Free digital camera :angel:

Cool, I've always wanted one.
Unmanned photo radar WILL get people to slow down (to pick up the camera) :D

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by theken
Also :drool: buy a lasar jammer they are around 3-400$ but they do the best work, the radar gets pointed at the car and the jammer sends the signals all over the place and obsorbs most of the radar which doesnt get sent back to the gun which means they cant get a read on your car which will save your ass from tickets.:thumbsup: isnt that illegal? and the cop would KNOW that ure using a jammer if he cant get a reading, and then he will be really pissed when he pulls u over.

szw
11-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by theken
Cops in calgary, alberta even believe that photo radar is a cash thing, the photo radar does nothing to slow people down, people will speed as long as they have the money to pay the tickets. people slow down when they know of a photo radar location, but as soon as they pass it they will speed up again so the police only use it to generate money for themselves. My work truck only has an AM radio so i listen to qr77 all day and they had a discussion with a cop. Unmanned photo radars wouldn't work anyways, the radar gun needs to be pointed at something on the front of your car that is shiny and the cop only has 3 seconds to get 3 readings, so an unmanned photo radar wouldn't be ab;le to pick up the shiny spots on the front of your car such as a chrome peice or the headlights. I talked to a photoradar cop at work also.:thumbsup: he said the best thing you can do is get smoked headlight covers and a bra for the front and cover anything shiny up and they won't be able to pick you up on the radar. Also :drool: buy a lasar jammer they are around 3-400$ but they do the best work, the radar gets pointed at the car and the jammer sends the signals all over the place and obsorbs most of the radar which doesnt get sent back to the gun which means they cant get a read on your car which will save your ass from tickets.:thumbsup:

Are you talking about photo radar or radar traps?

i thought photo radar clocks you after you pass the car.

Weapon_R
11-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
isnt that illegal? and the cop would KNOW that ure using a jammer if he cant get a reading, and then he will be really pissed when he pulls u over.

I don't think they're illegal in Alberta

Stratus_Power
11-05-2002, 10:17 PM
take your parents' car out, wave your middle finger as you pass by the unmanned photo radar.. and when the picture comes in the mail to your parents.. ohh yeh

kenny
11-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by szw
I read somewhere that Edmonton police chief admitted that the photoradar was being used to raise funds, and was NOT effective in keeping streets safer. No other city has said that.

Either you've got it backwards, or I do...hehe.

I read it last week too, i'll try to find out where. I think it was in the paper.

The Calgary Police Association openly says that photo radar is not effective but they still use it. If you drive in Calgary and Edmonton, you'll notice how photo radar in Edmonton is much more "sneaky". The EPS uses K band photo radar which is much harder to detect because automatic door openers also set off K band detection on radar detectors. They park their cars behind bushes, and walls so you can't see them until they pass, and they even put the photo radar warning sign *AFTER* where the van is parked! In Calgary, you can usually spot them with plenty of time to spare, and if you have a radar detector you'll detect them on the Ka band which isn't flooded with automatic door opener sensors, etc.

Here is a picture of an Edmonton Photo Radar location:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/halotic/radar/frvan.jpg

max_boost
11-06-2002, 12:05 AM
Oh dude that is sneaky