PDA

View Full Version : a good and cheap paing job in Calgary...

elpepe
08-03-2004, 08:37 PM
anyone know of anyone (preferably private - cheaper) that does quality work for not much $$$$$$ in calgary? My car's a 93 so I don't want to spend lots of $ on it, but it's still in good condition generally and is fun to drive... so I'm thinking of keeping it for a bit longer....
thanx!

ACX
08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by elpepe
anyone know of anyone (preferably private - cheaper) that does quality work for not much $$$$$$ in calgary? My car's a 93 so I don't want to spend lots of $ on it, but it's still in good condition generally and is fun to drive... so I'm thinking of keeping it for a bit longer....
thanx!

I know a guy who does FANTASTIC work, much on the side. I'll see if he's into it... He is out of town a lot, but worth a shot..

Gonthro
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
you cant get good AND cheap, its good OR cheap, not both.

Weapon_R
08-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

That's not true, but anyways, what is your budget for a paintjob?

elpepe
08-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

That's not true, but anyways, what is your budget for a paintjob?

well, I was hoping not to go above 1400-1500... cash....with some preparation by myself. I would take out the windshield (needs to be changed anyways) and as much of little pieces as I could, like lights, mirrors, side moldings etc... there is no major body damage of any kind... just some parking dings and a bit of rust around the windshield and few other small spots.....

elpepe
08-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ACX

I know a guy who does FANTASTIC work, much on the side. I'll see if he's into it... He is out of town a lot, but worth a shot..
I'd appreciate it, thanx!

C4S
08-04-2004, 05:24 PM
$1500 ? what kind of car ? I guess the best os take ot over to different body shop, but if u want a good job for just $1500 .. may be tough ... I spent $2000 on repaint my whole car .. still not a good job .. and I got a good good paint job last time, but $2,500 for just half the car repaint, and then power polish ... so, look like the whole car was repainted.

Sometimes, you may not need to re paint the whole car, may be just need to pain the hood, few fenders .. etc .. and polish and touch up the rest.

:)

elpepe
08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
yes but you DO realize that paying 1500 cash... (ie no receipt) is pretty much like paying 2000 or more officially, before the dude has to pay taxes...

talonboi
08-04-2004, 06:24 PM
thanx!
pm me...we paint cars we could meet up and i'll give u the estimate for ur car...depending if theres rust under the windshield etc....

elpepe
08-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

that very much depends on who is doing the job.... sometimes you can find good people that take pride in their work and are not super money hungry....

Kona9
08-04-2004, 08:05 PM
UH OH better get MAACO!!:rofl:

method
08-04-2004, 08:33 PM

that very much depends on who is doing the job.... sometimes you can find good people that take pride in their work and are not super money hungry....

the prices you pay at shops are set by the industry. they're reasonable prices. if you're getting a 4000 paint job for 800 bucks, it's because the materials are stolen or obtained for free, and because you know the person.. or they do terrible work.

you get what you pay for.

elpepe
08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by method

the prices you pay at shops are set by the industry. they're reasonable prices. if you're getting a 4000 paint job for 800 bucks, it's because the materials are stolen or obtained for free, and because you know the person.. or they do terrible work.

you get what you pay for.

well then you would be quoted the same price for the same job at every shop, wouldn't you?

It's not "the industry" setting their prices, it's individual shop owners... and it's based on supply and demand. Also every shop is in a different situation, has diff expenses, efficiency, labor, etc....

If there is enough jokers willing to pay 5000 for a pain job, and not enough shops to go around. Then that's what it'll cost. Or more.

thich
08-04-2004, 09:18 PM

well then you would be quoted the same price for the same job at every shop, wouldn't you?

It's not "the industry" setting their prices, it's individual shop owners... and it's based on supply and demand. Also every shop is in a different situation, has diff expenses, efficiency, labor, etc....

If there is enough jokers willing to pay 5000 for a pain job, and not enough shops to go around. Then that's what it'll cost. Or more.

i dun think u understand method's statement; the "industry" also has set standards; there is a helluva big difference between a paint job done at a shop like Maranello's to something like Maaco.
The materials and machinery may cost roughly the same per shop in most instances; but it's the hands that are doing the painting that'll cost you that extra more.

bighead2267
08-04-2004, 09:33 PM
personally, i know alot of reputable body shop won't do rust anyways, b'coz most of them a too busy this days, u can't imagine how busy they are although it's summer time......

all i will suggest is try to quote around and see the car part on the lot and check out what's the job they've done. so u know what they a doing. hope this help

Good luck for $1500

elpepe
08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by thich

i dun think u understand method's statement; the "industry" also has set standards; there is a helluva big difference between a paint job done at a shop like Maranello's to something like Maaco.
The materials and machinery may cost roughly the same per shop in most instances; but it's the hands that are doing the painting that'll cost you that extra more.

I disagree. There is no set prices. There is no set standards. This is not APEGGA. There is no rules whatsoever - anyone can grab a paint gun and open a shop. You don't need a certification, you don't have a standard.

All they have is their reputation...

and yes, labor is the biggest cost variable. That's the one I'm trying to use. Not everybody needs/wants/can charge $5000 for 2-3 days of work.

elpepe
08-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
personally, i know alot of reputable body shop won't do rust anyways, b'coz most of them a too busy this days, u can't imagine how busy they are although it's summer time......

all i will suggest is try to quote around and see the car part on the lot and check out what's the job they've done. so u know what they a doing. hope this help

Good luck for $1500

if you read my posts you'd see I'm not looking for a "reputable shop".

Yah that's what I'm doing, getting some private quotes. So far they all are below 2000.