PDA

View Full Version : Toms Motorsport Coilovers

Weapon_R
11-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Heard that these were the same as Ground Control coils, and that they are a very high quality coil. I've never heard of them. Does anyone know anything about em?

jdmakkord
11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
If they were the same as ground controls they would say ground control on em....

max_boost
11-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
If they were the same as ground controls they would say ground control on em....

I think what he meant was the same quality as ground control

By the way, never heard of them before, your best bet would be to just buy the ground control, at least they are proven to be a good adjustable spring

del-lude
11-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Not quite like the ground controls....
The ride is pretty rough, ask Leo he installed a set in a civic, he can give more detail of the ride quality.

max_boost
11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by del-lude
Not quite like the ground controls....
The ride is pretty rough, ask Leo he installed a set in a civic, he can give more detail of the ride quality.

In that case, it might not be the spring but the quality of install:rofl: j/k

Weapon_R
11-05-2002, 04:59 PM
I mean quality wise, not that they are the exact same Coilover. The design is said to be almost identical, and they are built the same. I'll check with Leo...

acuracy
11-06-2002, 11:19 AM
I installed a set into my friends crx and he has no complaints. The rides stiffer then when he had springs in there but like most coilovers, they do recommend to get a go quality set of shocks to go with the coils.

MrX
11-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Where is this Toms company from?? The only company that comes to my mind by that name is the Toyota tuning company in Japan. If it is the same company, which I don't believe this is, the quality will be excellent.

Weapon_R
11-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Honestly I have no clue. Thats why i'm asking. They are relatively unknown and it's hard finding anything about them on the net. The people who I have talked with however claim that they are pretty happy with them. Again they claim that they are designed like GC, but stiff without aftermarket shocks. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the ride is like with aftermarket shocks...

shadowz
11-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Toms is made overseas but dont get it mixed up with the Toyota tuner, this is a private company who distributes out of Canada

silentrage
11-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Same construction meaning that you only need one allen key to adjust the height where as with skunk2 you need two 'wrenches'.

as for quality, they aren't going to be the same as GC, but you're paying a lot less.

how much?

eur0
11-11-2002, 12:34 PM
i think they were like 220?? or 240? pretty cheap

sunfiredude
11-13-2002, 12:06 AM
im ordering a pair in january

eur0
11-13-2002, 12:31 AM
sunfire dude do you know kyle koke? red sunfire w/ white motegis?

buh_buh
11-13-2002, 12:44 AM
If they were "as good as" GC, then why aren't more people using it? I'd rather go with something that has been proven to perform well.

B18C
11-13-2002, 12:53 AM
The problem with small, little known companies like this one is with getting a consistent product. When you buy these coilovers you could get lucky and get a great set, but you may also be unlucky and end up with a lemon. IMO, if you want to save some money, and if you are going to do the install yourself, I say go for it. At $220, they are cheap enough that I think they are worth the risk if you REALLY want cheap coilovers and don't want to fork out $600 for GC's.

If you are paying a shop to install them, I think they are not worth the risk because install will run you like $100+. If you happen to get a lemon then you will have to pay ANOTHER $100+ to get them changed back.

eur0
11-13-2002, 12:56 AM
you really like lemons huh? hehe, yea go for it, theyre cheap enuf to worth the risk, some nice yellows can make up for the crappyness

Weapon_R
11-13-2002, 04:32 AM
I can get em for about $200 delivered. I can do the installation myself. If they are like any other coil, then I can order any cheap coil online for less anyways. I just wanted to know, because the seller claimed they were "very high quality and great ride". I doubt he would have said anything else, but if its just the adjustment that is similar, screw that. I want to maintain a decent ride after I do it.

shadowz
11-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Weapon R I have these coilovers in stock they are actually on special this month for $175 incl shipping just add tax