PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Problems

autobahncustom
08-05-2004, 01:08 AM
I just recently hit a pot hole with my 93 del sol. It is equipped with a greddy turbo system. Now the turbo will spoll up but the blow off valve doesnt blow off the same, and the boost guage doesnt show any pressure. When i checked the system out, the air filter had come off, i put it back on and that didnt help. The intercooler plumbing was all secure and attached. The only other thing was I found a gas leak by the fuel filter, which doesnt effect the preformance. The car runs and idles a bit high, but doesnt seem to be effected too much by the lack of boost.

Any advice to check out on the turbo system would be apprecaited.
Thanks

WGR4Pussies
08-05-2004, 01:53 AM
you got a boost leak, look around for it.:clap:

autobahncustom
08-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Could it be from a vaccum line? Or is it something more? Would a cracked intercooler cause something like that? How big does the leak have to be for it to cause this type of problem?

legendboy
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
haha a vacume leak is a boost leak when your turboed :rofl:

WGR4Pussies
08-05-2004, 01:08 PM
you could have also cracked your exhaust(turbo) manifold, does your car sound like it has an exhaust leak?

autobahncustom
08-05-2004, 01:40 PM
I looked at the vaccum lines again. I noticed before that one of the lines didnt appear to be hooked up. I tried pluggin it and runnin the throttle open and backin off, that seems to be the problem. The only thing that i cant really figure out is where it came from. My boost guage runs in the vac part of the guage instead of the pressure side. Is this normal? I bought the car from a guy who didnt know anything about it cause it was his buddies. I took it for a short jog down the street and it seems to have power, I mean im not sure but i dont think a stock del sol can light the tires up into third gear especially with 17" rims on it.

Thanks Alot WGR4Pussies for your input. If you know anything about those guages it would be appreciated. Thanks

CanadianFC
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I would suggest you fix the gas leak before anything.
I don't think you would want a burnt up turboed del-sol.

You boost guage should read vacuum unless you're actually driving and there's load on the engine. So when you're idleing and it reads vacuum, it's functioning properly. The car's sucking air in, like a vauum cleaner.

autobahncustom
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Ya the new fuel filter is coming tomorrow. The car idling reads something just on the vac side of 0. And then when i hammer it out it reads 10 on the vac side.

Ya im sure a bbq del sol would be no fun, cause i have no insurance on it right now.
Thanks for your guys input, its appreciated in this time of fustration.

CanadianFC
08-05-2004, 03:46 PM
You actually have to put load on the engine. So that means you can't read the vacuum guage when you're just sitting there.
Go and drive it, hammer the throttle, and glance at the vacuum guage.

But I wouldn't do this until you have insurance.

autobahncustom
08-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Ya thanks alot. I took it for another drive and at idle it will read 0 but when i drive it, it will read 10 on the vac, but when i take off with the car hard it goes up to 5 psi. I think it should be working right. I wish i would have paid more attention to the guage when i was driving it before this thing screwed up.
Thanks