PDA

View Full Version : Honda Engines worth turbo charging?

GQNammer
08-06-2004, 12:18 AM
I hear lots of problems that come with turboing honda motors. How much of a hassle is it? Would supercharging be a better alternative? Planning to throw a b16 turbo into my rex before winter hits and I just wanna know if i'm diong the right thing on going the turbo route.

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 12:21 AM
fuck yeah, anyone who tells you its not worth it is a chump. and with uberdata, its like easier then a fat chick with no legs.

rage2
08-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Well buit and tuned honda turbo setups are reliable as hell. There's tons on beyond that are daily drivers, running 100mph+ trap speeds every Friday nights, and no problems.

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Well buit and tuned honda turbo setups are reliable as hell. There's tons on beyond that are daily drivers, running 100mph+ trap speeds every Friday nights, and no problems.

100mph aint far for me :D

Xpnsve
08-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Check it

http://abtegs.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66&sid=1392f6b8bb8aa60318fdf408ca1cfce7

boostfed
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Sure as shit hondas can make an assload of power turbocharged. They like to rev which means you don't need a whole lot of torque to make power, as long as you can hold it high into the RPM range. They handle shitloads of boost and power on pump gas due to a very small bore and a well designed cylinder head, the stock blocks are VERY strong for what started off as a naturally aspirated car, the transmissions are near bullet proof so all you have to do is throw a good clutch in there, and there's lots of cheap parts available.

http://servion.cybercandy.org/jeremydinog.gif

404 WHP @ 13 psi
373 WHP @ 11.5 psi

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=948425

Not some massive dollar setup, it's a sleeved stock bore GSR motor at 9:1 compression, a full-race manifold + T3/T67, tuned with an AEM EMS. He would pick up a solid 30 WHP if he switched to a VictorX intake mani, he's still running the stock GSR intake.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c58b42c5/bc/8e75/__sr_/ec18.jpg?ph6h7EBBy2FnC1gt

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=806428

There's 306 WHP @ 12 psi on a STOCK B16. PTE GT35E, Inline Pro manifold, 2.5" downpipe/testpipe, hondata, and GSR cams.

Doesn't take much of a combo to push out huge numbers. Only problem is getting the car to hook up.

civicluva
08-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Go for it. I turbocharged my non-vtec sohc in the DX and had no problems since. Running 4psi, good for daily driving.

1badPT
08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
What an odd question :dunno: Of course its worth it. Hell, turbo'd hondas are so common they are like tamp... oh never mind :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D

heavyD
08-06-2004, 03:27 PM
You should ask yourself how long you are going to keep the car and how much money you have for maintenance. Factory turbocharged engines are generally less reliable than factory N/A engines so you can understand that turbocharging an engine that was not designed for it will decrease reliability. As you can see there are alot of turbo'ed Hondas in Calgary so there is alot of people with experience to fall back on. Alot of them will tell you that they always have some sort of problem.

Personally, I don't see the point of spending $1K or more so you can add 4 - 7 psi boost to a high compression engine but apparently there are alot of monster Hondas around:rofl: :rofl: .

One example is in last years Sport Compact car's USCC which had a Turbocharged and built Integra Type R. The guy spent $40K U.S. and ended up with the slowest car in the field (14.5 1/4 mile). Sounds like a major waste of money to me.

If you wanted a really fast car, you probably shouldn't have got a Honda in the first place. I learned that lesson years ago.

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 03:40 PM
yeah get a dsm, they are fast :rolleyes:

.........................CRANK WALK!

:rofl: :rofl:

HillBilly
08-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
One example is in last years Sport Compact car's USCC which had a Turbocharged and built Integra Type R. The guy spent $40K U.S. and ended up with the slowest car in the field (14.5 1/4 mile). Sounds like a major waste of money to me.

I think that most of the money spent went into suspension and not engine and drivetrain. That Type R had no buisness in USCC. Speed is just as big a issue as agility IMO.

As to your question......... hell yeah put a turbo on it. And get yourself a loud BOV. ----RICE ALERT----

heavyD
08-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

GQNammer
08-06-2004, 04:34 PM
biggest part on my concern was reliability. There's really no point if I were to boost my car for 4-5 psi daily driving. If i were to do that i might as well drop in a b18c5 and i would get better numbers.

I was looking for a 8-10 psi daily driving car. After purchasing the motor and such, how much am i looking at spending just for a turbo setup to run what i'm wishing for?

Superesc
08-06-2004, 04:46 PM
If u are not greedy and boost 5-8 psi (depends on which motor.. these numbers refer to B18B) it should be pretty good as daily driver. There will be issues one way or another, but considering there are many turbo hondas in Calgary, you should be able to find help easily.. and if you can't there's always Honda-tech.com .

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Quick reply. School finish early today little boy? A stock DSM is as fast a alot of turbo'd Hondas. I assume you would know that since you know everything. Funny, I was driving Honda's when you were in diapers and you still know more than everyone else.

i guess they must have been special diapers? :rofl:

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer
biggest part on my concern was reliability. There's really no point if I were to boost my car for 4-5 psi daily driving. If i were to do that i might as well drop in a b18c5 and i would get better numbers.

I was looking for a 8-10 psi daily driving car. After purchasing the motor and such, how much am i looking at spending just for a turbo setup to run what i'm wishing for?

I dont know much about b-series engines, since they cost so much and I'm poor :( . a stock D-series block can take 10 psi daily easily, and still be very reliable. I plan to run 10psi daily. 10 psi is the operational limit of the map sensor, not the block ;). there are different aspects that effect the amount of boost you can take, turbo size, intercooler(or lack there of) engine condition, and most importantly, engine management. its all in the tunning. a turbo honda engine is very reliable.

my current setup cost me a total of 397 dollars, keep in mind that i got a lot of stuff f or less then what you'd normally pay(and its all used). For someone who has limited mechanical 'skill' a turbo is gona cost alot more. for the average backyard mechanic, a do-able system should cost about 1000-2000, using new good quality parts. :)

GQNammer
08-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm not planning to go 'poor man's turbo' or anything. I'm gonna make sure the setup is done right meaning purchasing new valves and pistons, a proper intercooler, hondata, rods, cranks, etc. I'm not gonna just slap on a turbo on a stock motor and expect nothing bad to happen.

WGR4Pussies
08-06-2004, 05:38 PM
o, so you wana be one of them opened motor whores? what engine?

boostfed
08-07-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm not planning to go 'poor man's turbo' or anything. I'm gonna make sure the setup is done right meaning purchasing new valves and pistons, a proper intercooler, hondata, rods, cranks, etc. I'm not gonna just slap on a turbo on a stock motor and expect nothing bad to happen.

Are you going B or D?

civicluva
08-07-2004, 03:57 PM
You can run a max 7 psi on an intercooled turbo with stock internals I think. I run 4-5psi usually though. Don't overwork it.

WGR4Pussies
08-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by civicluva
You can run a max 7 psi on an intercooled turbo with stock internals I think. I run 4-5psi usually though. Don't overwork it.

bullshit. :rolleyes:

boostfed
08-07-2004, 05:18 PM

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/pics/jeff.jpg

11 psi from a massive turbo on a stock motor with some ARP's and a headgasket. Keep in mind that's a T3/T67 so 11 psi is moving as much air as a typical T3/TO4E 57 trim might move at 17 psi.

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/dynos/richy.jpg

13 psi on a stock GSR motor from a PTE SC34!

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/pics/Jeremy.jpg

Stock GSR block with ARP's, 14 psi from a greddy kit.

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/pics/jessedelsol.jpg

Stock GSR block with HG and ARP's, 14 pounds from a T3/TO4E 60 trim.

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/pics/royfinal.jpg

Stock LS block, Greddy 18G @ 15 PSI.

Shit man, these must be super motors, with incredible super powers right from the factory to take that kinda boost! No, the reason you think you can only run 7 pounds on stock motors is because you hear about shitheads that run an FMU and think they can push 14 pounds into a stock motor. Run Hondata, Uberdata, Crome, TurboEdit, even an AEM EMS just any kind of a piggy back and you will be fine.

Redlyne_mr2
08-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Its not about psi

GQNammer
08-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by boostfed

Are you going B or D?

I really wanna go with the B16 motor

AllGoNoShow
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I thoguht the B series wasn't recommended for turboing because it is already a high compression engine, that swhy most people recommend turboing ZC's and D series, anyone care to agree or correct me?

WGR4Pussies
08-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I thoguht the B series wasn't recommended for turboing because it is already a high compression engine, that swhy most people recommend turboing ZC's and D series, anyone care to agree or correct me?

not true.

civicluva
08-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Just saying :rolleyes: I dont know for sure but yeah you can run alot more but I want to keep it onto the safe side. I had a buddy that ran 9psi in a d17 and fucked up his engine. It was a newer engine too so :dunno:

WGR4Pussies
08-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Just saying :rolleyes: I dont know for sure but yeah you can run alot more but I want to keep it onto the safe side. I had a buddy that ran 9psi in a d17 and fucked up his engine. It was a newer engine too so :dunno:

bad fuel management was probly the cause, i know people wh orun 12 psi daily on their stock Ds, with no problems what so ever, but i also know people who have run 8 pounds and blew their engines. its all in the tunning. :)

Weapon_R
08-09-2004, 01:35 AM

There are people running a lot more than that. For someone who has a turbo:rolleyes:, you should know that PSI doesn't mean much.

Expiredsoda
08-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, as a new turbo honda owner, my answer is YES they are worth turbocharging... no it does not cost a fortune to do like many think, and it's a lot of fun if you do it yourself. I am currently running a stock d16Z6 @ 9psi on a T3 .60/.48 --- and it RAN AWAY from a 91 (or whatever year they come awd in 1g) awd TSI dsm from a 50kmh roll. 14b < T3 .60/.48 :)

The setup is coupled with dsm 450cc injectors and uberdata, running a 12psi dynotuned basemap. When I get some extra cash I will take her in for a dyno tune session. Oh, and total cost for my kit including a new clutch was about 2150. The great advantage to running a D-series is that they are dime-a-dozen, if I blow her up, a new longblock will run me no more then 400 bucks.

legendboy
08-30-2004, 11:00 AM
See, now into my 3rd year of owning a turbo honda (and on my 3rd engine), i don't think its worth turboing a stock honda engine anymore. I guess it just depends on how far you need to push it.

Expiredsoda
08-30-2004, 11:26 AM
What are your setup specs? Oh, and why did your two motors go?

buh_buh
08-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I think its worth it.
1.5 years of almost 12psi on stock block and still going strong! *knock on wood*

legendboy
08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
My opinion is based on my own personal experiences, my budget, my time....etc...

I've ran 2 successful years turboed on a stock motor. The motor was almost brand new when I put it in. My car went 13.2 in the quarter, and I had alot of fun with it. After 2 (summers) of abuse the motor was starting to smoke. Cracked ringlands.

This year I decided to kick it up a notch and went 2.0L . That motor only lasted a couple days due to an overboost situation. Cracked ringlands again.

My feeling on it now is do it right, have it last. (which is what i was told at the very start) So......spend some dough, get some pistons, rods and a sleeved block, make twice the power alot safer. Don't get me wrong, a fully built motor isn't bullet proof, but it sure gives a nice safety margin over any stock engine. (and you can make way more power on pump gas)

Basically, if i add up all the money i've spent on motors, parts, gasket kits etc..etc.. I could have had a built bottom end from the very begining! Now my summer is wrecked and i'm stuck waiting for next summer :thumbsdow

finboy
08-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

My feeling on it now is do it right, have it last.

couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:

Primer_Drift
08-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I hear lots of problems that come with turboing honda motors. How much of a hassle is it? Would supercharging be a better alternative? Planning to throw a b16 turbo into my rex before winter hits and I just wanna know if i'm diong the right thing on going the turbo route.

I like how no one really answered his question.. Turbo vs Supercharging honda motors..
:dunno:

gpomp
09-01-2004, 02:50 AM
tubo > s/c

Weapon_R
09-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
tubo &gt; s/c

sc > turbo

legendboy
09-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Its generally accepted that turbocharging is better overall than supercharging. Sure a supercharger will give you a linear boost in power but its very limited. With a turbo, the sky is the limit for power. Myself, I would think that a supercharger is more prone to mechanical failure than a turbocharger is also.

M_Power
09-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Its not about psi
as a non-turbo anything owner i don't no all the secrets of turbocharging. wut is it about than? turbo size vs. psi?

Expiredsoda
09-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by M_Power

as a non-turbo anything owner i don't no all the secrets of turbocharging. wut is it about than? turbo size vs. psi?

It's more or less about the tune and the size of your turbo (and of course how much psi you are running). A larger turbo will flow more CFM (cubic feet per minute) @ 7 psi then a smaller one would at the same boost levels. The real key to running boost is to have a proper tune.

Primer_Drift
09-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by M_Power

There is a fine science to selecting a turbo properly, knowing how to read a turbo map and to play around with different pressure ratios are just a few basic ones.
How big or small a turbo is, is all relative to the displacement and pressure you wish to run. An improperly sized turbo for instance, can produce its maximum pressure too soon, and not be able to flow enough pressure to maintain boost the outer rpm limits.

BAD240S13
09-16-2004, 03:41 AM
its all about a jackson supercharger!!!! much better then any turbo period. my friend has a b16 in a 1999 civic si with a jackson on it producing 400hp beat that!!!! not bad for a honda!!!

KoukiS14
09-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by BAD240S13
its all about a jackson supercharger!!!! much better then any turbo period. my friend has a b16 in a 1999 civic si with a jackson on it producing 400hp beat that!!!! not bad for a honda!!!

:rofl:

400hp?? Yeah with 2 bottles of Nawzzzzzzzzzz.

200 - 250hp is a more reasonable figure.

legendboy
09-16-2004, 08:20 AM

ya ok buddy. Thanks for comming out http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Smiles/rolleyesshakehead.gif

Dirty_SOHC
09-16-2004, 09:25 AM

more like 180-200 whp buddie:rofl: :rofl: :cry: thanks for comming out:thumbsup:

HillBilly
09-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
An improperly sized turbo for instance, can produce its maximum pressure too soon, and not be able to flow enough pressure to maintain boost the outer rpm limits.

try to tell Mitsubishi about that

my stealth can push 20psi at 3000rpm but can only maintain 12psi from 4500-7200rpm

Its like the turbo kicks in and the lets off when you have it floored. The little 9B's are way too small for the car. On the plus side, there is very little lag (2750rpm it kicks in)

Weapon_R
09-16-2004, 04:21 PM

Is that right? That's funny, I have the same charger...Not even 1/2 of your claim :rolleyes:

Kid_a
09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Is that right? That's funny, I have the same charger...Not even 1/2 of your claim :rolleyes:

HUHUHUHU IT MUST NOT BE TOONED WRIGHT!

Weapon_R
09-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Kid_a

HUHUHUHU IT MUST NOT BE TOONED WRIGHT!

OMG U R TRU!!! ITS NOT TOONED YET BUT WHEN IT DOES MEBBE IT'LLL GIVE ME 400HORSEPOWER!!!!

Kid_a
09-16-2004, 04:50 PM
THIS IS A ARTICAL FROM SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN MAGAZZZEN!!!

HillBilly
09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
this thread just got interesting again.

keep the flame show going!!!

SaabKraft
09-16-2004, 05:26 PM
just as an aside about high compression engines: you can run less boost with high compression and still get a reasonable result, as there'll be less lag and more power from before spooling up..

alot of people seem to throw in low compression pistons so they can run more PSI, but then you're really reducing power untill the damn thing spools up. not the best thing for drivability, especially with a garret T-3/4 series (which seem to spool up slower/have more punch than the smaller mitsubishi units)...

so i think some nice forged pistons and a reasonable (4-6) psi of boost would be a well balanced set up... an internal wastegate should be ok at levels like this, and you won't need a huge intercooler. a nice subtle swell of power, with low end torque (applicable to hondas?) for when you're coming off the line... better than dropping the compression and cranking up the boost, which will prolly cause torque steer, bald tires and noticeable lag.

just keep in mind that there needs to be enough fuel for the added air coming in other wise you'll run too lean... bigger or an adjustable FPR could take care of this, or if you're hardcore, a reprogrammed/custom fuel map. (not too neccesary for something like this)

legendboy
09-16-2004, 08:27 PM
The reason people use low comp pistons because its a safeguard againsed detonation. Sure a high comp engine will make more power than a low comp engine at the same boost. But you can run more boost and make more power on pump gas with less risk of detonation on the low comp engine.

Primer_Drift
09-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T

try to tell Mitsubishi about that

my stealth can push 20psi at 3000rpm but can only maintain 12psi from 4500-7200rpm

Its like the turbo kicks in and the lets off when you have it floored. The little 9B's are way too small for the car. On the plus side, there is very little lag (2750rpm it kicks in)

lol is 20psi stock for those 6g72 mitsu motors? jk
The HKS kit for that car is supposed to be good.. twin TDO4s (13G) or TDO5s.. something like that..

HillBilly
09-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

lol is 20psi stock for those 6g72 mitsu motors? jk
The HKS kit for that car is supposed to be good.. twin TDO4s (13G) or TDO5s.. something like that..

the HKS setup is good but lots of $$$

the GTPro GT-357 Magnum Turbos are a good place to go.

$2000 USD and 457 All-wheel hp (with propoer fuel delivery upgrades of course)

rss
09-18-2004, 10:16 PM
buy my car!