PDA

View Full Version : Street Racing Death in Edmonton

rage2
08-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Guess it was a matter of time. Here's the Friday Article from Edmonton, the female died shortly after. I read about it in the Calgary Herald today.

Drag race victim clinging to life

Ryan Cormier, with files from Joel Kom.
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, August 06, 2004

EDMONTON - A female pedestrian was clinging to life late Thursday after she was struck from behind by an out-of-control, drag racing Corvette one block from a muscle-car gathering in northeast Edmonton.

Shocked witnesses said two Corvettes, one black and one white, were racing westbound on 137th Avenue near 50th Street shortly after 8 p.m. when the black car spun out of control, rocketing over a curb and onto the sidewalk, striking the woman from behind.

"I just happened to look up at the wrong time," said Randy, a witness who didn't want his last name used.

"He went left, he went right, he overcompensated. It wasn't slowing down at all once it got onto the grass. That poor woman didn't know what hit her."

People rushed to the woman's aid from nearby cars and restaurant patios.

"I wasn't even thinking, I just ran," said one young woman who didn't want her name used. She was waiting at an intersection in her car when the accident happened in front of her. She was at the woman's side within seconds. Remembering her first-aid training, she held the woman's head steady. "I tried to talk to her. That's all I could do."

A woman named Lisa, who was at a nearby patio, saw the accident and heard the impact of the car striking the woman. Lisa ran to the victim. She said the woman had injuries to her back, neck and foot. She was bleeding from the mouth and gasping for breath. Fragments of the woman's hearing aid were scattered across the sidewalk.

"I would say at this stage that the injuries are probably life-threatening," said Insp. Dennis Pysyk of the Edmonton Police Service.

Police hadn't identified the woman, but Pysyk said she was middle-aged. She was alone when she was hit.

After the accident, the black Corvette sat on the grass next to the sidewalk. Its windshield was cracked, the roof damaged and the passenger-side mirror was hanging by wires. Deep skid marks were in the grass. The white Corvette was parked nearby. Police said the driver of the black Corvette, who was alone in his vehicle at the time, was being co-operative.

"Once we complete our investigation, we'll determine what charges will be appropriate, but it's too early to tell," Pysyk said.

He said speed was likely a factor. Alcohol has been ruled out.

Witnesses said the cars came from a gathering in a nearby gas station parking lot.

Simon Bak, president of the Edmonton Corvette Club, said sports car buffs meet weekly to check out each others' vehicles. He rarely sees cars race, he said.

Boosted_TL
08-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Thats VERY sad !!! I dont know what to say !!

I feel for the poor ladys family and close ones

EK 2.0
08-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Condolences to the victim's family and friends...

you read about it happening here, and there, but never so close to home...

I just hope it opens a few eyes of the Timmies Crowd...sad it takes a tradgedy for people to finally see...

BigShow
08-07-2004, 10:43 AM
The driver will have to live the rest of his life knowing he killed a lady by street racing, I hope they throw the book at him.

rage2
08-07-2004, 10:51 AM
From the way the articles were written, it sounded like an enthusiast meet, much like the 403honda and beyond meets at Chinook. I know a lot of us at our meets go out for enthusiastic test drives with other members, hell even I'm guilty of it. Can't just single out the Timmy's crowd.

Be careful out there.

Boosted_TL
08-07-2004, 10:53 AM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK :whipped:

benyl
08-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Aparently the driver was 57 years old... it isn't just kids that do stupid shit.

EK 2.0
08-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by rage2
From the way the articles were written, it sounded like an enthusiast meet, much like the 403honda and beyond meets at Chinook. I know a lot of us at our meets go out for enthusiastic test drives with other members, hell even I'm guilty of it. Can't just single out the Timmy's crowd.

Be careful out there.

re-reading it...its very true...we all are guilty of a spirted romp on the go-pedal...

eb0i
08-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Condolences to the family, its sad that something like this had to happen. :(

ninjak84
08-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
re-reading it...its very true...we all are guilty of a spirted romp on the go-pedal...

For sure, but not many of us push our Corvettes to their limit's on a street filled with patio diners. It sounds like they were racing on a street as busy as 17th :rolleyes:
The guy is 57? Haha, grow the fuck up.

All accidents are preventable!

Rockski
08-07-2004, 12:49 PM
it reallay is a shame that it happened, and i still cant belive that a 57 year old was responsible for not only hitting her, but racing as well... i know somebody who saw it happen and she said it was just unbelievable and unbearable...

XylathaneGTR
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah, i also heard both owner's were in their fifties?
Wow, thats just fucking sad...like, you think a guy of his age would know better.

GQBalla
08-07-2004, 11:58 PM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK:whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

blinkme_210
08-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

For sure, but not many of us push our Corvettes to their limit's on a street filled with patio diners. It sounds like they were racing on a street as busy as 17th :rolleyes:
The guy is 57? Haha, grow the fuck up.

All accidents are preventable!

Actually that particular road is pretty wide, 2 lanes in each direction with a grass median. There are some restuarants there, but nowhere for people to walk at all, as that road is also a freeway leading out of town.

Pete92SL
08-08-2004, 12:54 PM
That is a really stupid road in Edmonton to try to show off. My condolences to the family involved.

Pete

hjr
08-08-2004, 01:02 PM
this was a terrible accident that could well have happened to any of us. i know ive posted triple limits before, not smart in the least, but everyone looses their common sence once in a while.

H4LFY2nR
08-08-2004, 03:29 PM
:werd: It's very unforunate for all involved.

blueripper6
08-08-2004, 03:49 PM
WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT.
holy fuck, that pisses me off so bad, if someone was going to die, why couldnt it have been one of those mother fucking idiot street racers. If your going to street race, atleast do it where u cant fucking see anyone, he probably did it to impress someone but instead killed someone, or just take it to the fucking track.

I hope he gets locked the fuck up for this.

kaput
08-08-2004, 03:56 PM

PGTze
08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
57 years old eh :banghead:

hjr
08-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
57 years old eh :banghead: ya, they are terrible people. always racing around, red light to red light, swerving in and out of lanes. thats why insurance for young people is so much cheaper. 50yo's can see rates as much as 500 a year, i know rediculus. sooo expensive. One thing is for sure, 16-21yo's are the cream of the crop when it comes to not being stupid in cars.

EK 2.0
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
*snip*...If your going to street race, atleast do it where u cant fucking see anyone...*snip*

gee...:rolleyes: isn't THAT a great solution...

blinkme_210
08-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

gee...:rolleyes: isn't THAT a great solution...

Only to have the street racers kill themselves mysteriously in a roll over or something.

boostfed
08-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by hjr
ya, they are terrible people. always racing around, red light to red light, swerving in and out of lanes. thats why insurance for young people is so much cheaper. 50yo's can see rates as much as 500 a year, i know rediculus. sooo expensive. One thing is for sure, 16-21yo's are the cream of the crop when it comes to not being stupid in cars.

Exactly. 5500 dollars a year for my 19 year old male friend with a clean record with no tickets no accidents no claims on a 1992 Ford Ranger is insurances way of rewarding him for the maturity shown by others his age.

Kartelli
08-11-2004, 02:57 PM
the thing Im wondering, why the hell are you racing your corvette if you can't control it? This isnt some honda civic your driving here. Age isnt the point, whether its a 15 year old or a 70 year old... your driving a MUSCLE car, you must know what your limits are. Worst thing is your racing another corvette, its the same fucking car, what a retard.

my condolences to the victims family :(

pho
08-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Those two old geezers they should have been playing bingo and none of this would happened.

DarkDream
08-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Thats fucking suxs.. Is street racing really worth the risk of hiting someone and having that on your conscience for ever...:whipped:

sputnik
08-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

Only to have the street racers kill themselves mysteriously in a roll over or something.

the "mystery" of Darwin

1-Bar
08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
If your going to street race, atleast do it where u cant fucking see anyone.

Sweet, so if I close my eyes while street racing....

chibi_chas
08-14-2004, 02:45 AM
very sad .. condolences to the family too ... i think someone died that same day ina bike crash .. it was a 22year old riding a stolen bike going 120km in a alley and smoked a pole :banghead: :banghead: people these days