PDA

View Full Version : Official Seinfeld Season 1&2 DVD - Nov 23rd!

rage2
08-07-2004, 11:55 AM
That's right, it's coming!!!!! Official date of Nov 23rd announced. At a price though...

$100usd for the 4 disc DVD set, and $120usd for the 4 DVDs plus a bunch of bonus stuff.

http://www.stanthecaddy.com/seinfeld-dvd-its-official-discuss.html

D'z Nutz
08-07-2004, 12:21 PM
That's awesome! Although I had heard previously somewhere that the first set would've included the first three seasons :dunno: In either case, I can't wait. Are you still gonna it, even though you have a complete set? Hahaha!

Wasn't there some sort of dispute between the actors earlier about the release of the dvds? Something about money?

finboy
08-07-2004, 12:27 PM
damn, thats some expensive dvd's.

i'll probably pick them up anyways :dunno:

ninjak84
08-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Shitty news for the wallet.....

What's the deal with the site you posted? They're selling all 180 episodes on 23 discs? Seems like it would make more sense for me to buy the set from that site instead of in stores

Chester
08-07-2004, 12:36 PM
so expensive but I love the show so I'm probably going to buy it anyway

rage2
08-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
That's awesome! Although I had heard previously somewhere that the first set would've included the first three seasons :dunno: In either case, I can't wait. Are you still gonna it, even though you have a complete set? Hahaha!
Yep. My DVD set was recorded off satellite and edited without commercials. It has all the network logos and crap on it. Plus some networks cut to commercial too quick and it's just not perfect ;).

Wasn't there some sort of dispute between the actors earlier about the release of the dvds? Something about money?
Yea, Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Michael Richards were upset that they're not getting a slice of the DVD pie (Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David gets pretty much all the money). They were only offered a small amount to do some commentary stuff on the DVDs. I'm not exactly sure who actually did do some of the content and who didn't.

Speaking of Larry David, do you guys watch Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's like Seinfeld, with an edge (cuz they can say fuck on HBO haha).

Originally posted by ninjak84
What's the deal with the site you posted? They're selling all 180 episodes on 23 discs? Seems like it would make more sense for me to buy the set from that site instead of in stores
Those are unofficial. There's a handful of Seinfeld VHS full season tapes made available to staff of the show (cameramen, sound guys, etc) as well as friends. Shaq got a set on an episode of Curb your Enthusiasm. Anyways, one of the sets got bought on ebay, and ended up being transferred to DVD. I've seen an episode from this DVD set, and the quality isn't great. The VHS tape that the transfer came from was watched quite a bit, that and VHS isn't the best medium for video storage.

It's a lot cheaper, so you get what you pay for. The official set coming out will be mastered from the original tapes.

///M3
08-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Its an awesome show, but why you guys wanna spend $100 on dvds? its on 3 or 4 times a day. :dunno:

rage2
08-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ///M3
Its an awesome show, but why you guys wanna spend $100 on dvds? its on 3 or 4 times a day. :dunno:
For just the first 2 seasons too! :rofl:

Being able to watch any episode any time you want, that's why!

///M3
08-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

For just the first 2 seasons too! :rofl:

Being able to watch any episode any time you want, that's why!

dont you have every episode on cd already? or do you want better quality?:D

D'z Nutz
08-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Yea, Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Michael Richards were upset that they're not getting a slice of the DVD pie (Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David gets pretty much all the money). They were only offered a small amount to do some commentary stuff on the DVDs. I'm not exactly sure who actually did do some of the content and who didn't.

Well, when I first heard about Seinfeld being released on DVD, it was because Michael Richards had just agreed to become a part of it. The article also mentioned something about Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus being somewhat upset about his decision because the three had earlier voiced their disapproval together (amount the money, no doubt). I was surprised to hear that Jerry Seinfeld would've left them out in the cold when it came to the money, since I was under the impression that he helped negotiate their salaries during the run of the show.

While searching for that article, I came across this:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20040806/en_tv_eo/14665

There will be a whopping 24 hours worth of bonus material, from never-before-seen outtakes and bloopers to deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes scoops, episode trivia, unused footage of Seinfeld's stand-up routines and interviews

Holy shit! Twenty-four hours of extras! According to the article all 4 cast members will be part of the commentaries, which is always good. I love listening to those, since you find out so much about the show you wouldn't have otherwise known. From watching Michael Richards in interviews, he's actually quite different from the character(s) he portrays on tv and film. He's pretty soft spoken.

D'z Nutz
08-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ///M3

dont you have every episode on cd already? or do you want better quality?:D

Yep. My DVD set was recorded off satellite and edited without commercials. It has all the network logos and crap on it. Plus some networks cut to commercial too quick and it's just not perfect ;).

///M3
08-07-2004, 01:09 PM

ohhhh sowwy:)

rage2
08-07-2004, 11:09 PM
I was surprised to hear that Jerry Seinfeld would've left them out in the cold when it came to the money, since I was under the impression that he helped negotiate their salaries during the run of the show.
That was Friends... they wanted to give Courtney Cox a bigger role + salary, and they decided early on that everyone gets paid the same, thus the $1M/episode/actor salary.

With Seinfeld, Jerry wanted to end at the top at Season 8, which was supposed to be the end. The other 3 begged him to do one more year and negged a bigger salary, but still pale in comparison to Jerry's cut, which included syndication, VHS/DVD rights, etc. Syndication alone, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David each got something like $240M :eek:.

Holy shit! Twenty-four hours of extras! According to the article all 4 cast members will be part of the commentaries, which is always good. I love listening to those, since you find out so much about the show you wouldn't have otherwise known. From watching Michael Richards in interviews, he's actually quite different from the character(s) he portrays on tv and film. He's pretty soft spoken.
There's tons of extras floating around, like the original entire series VHS tapes, there were some rare bloopers/outtakes VHS tapes that were given to key members and ended up floating around on ebay. Seinology.com hosted them but it's been down for a while.

no_joke
08-08-2004, 01:04 AM

Syndication alone, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David each got something like $240M :eek:.

Yikes... And he's still pimping AMEX and doing standup? The man sure likes to keep busy. Any idea as to how the rest of the cast fared? I hope Wayne Knight isn't begging on a street corner right now.

rage2
08-08-2004, 09:31 AM
The AMEX thing is about doing something with Superman, he's facinated with him. Stand up, he says he's bored doing nothing, and really enjoy his comedy roots doing standup, that's why he's doing it.

I'm pretty sure money has nothing to do with it ;).

lint
08-08-2004, 09:53 AM
When I was watching the Comedian and he was practicing his stand up routine at clubs in New York, I was thinking that it would sure have been nice to live there. Then I could have caught his show for the price of 2 drinks instead of $135 at the Jubilee. Ah well, money well spent.

rage2
08-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Update. I got the prices wrong. $49 for season 1&2, $49 for season 3, $119 for both seasons in a gift pack.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040808/tv_nm/television_seinfeld_dc_2

Remastered in high def, dunno wtf that means cuz DVDs are SD 480p resolution.

B17a
08-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Sweet Jesus! I can die a very happy man now on or about Nov. 24th!:thumbsup:

CRXguy
08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Update. I got the prices wrong. $49 for season 1&2, $49 for season 3, $119 for both seasons in a gift pack.

I might be able to afford it now. :D

lint
08-10-2004, 02:11 PM
You can pre-order these now at http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JLEX/701-0744857-7510761

$41.97 for Season 1&2 and Season 3 or $123.17 for the Re-Gift set.

Early Christmas present!

Toms-Celica
08-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Already pre-ordered :)

96Mx6
08-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Waiting till its available on the net...:angel: :thumbsup:

roopi
11-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Todays the day its available in stores!!! :D

rage2
11-23-2004, 10:46 AM
haha yep! I'm getting mine at lunch!!!

roopi
11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
haha yep! I'm getting mine at lunch!!!

I'm not that hardcore. :rofl:

I'll wait till after work.

s__dime
11-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Im renting them from blockbuster then burning them:) its way less expensive

bol
11-25-2004, 07:32 PM
The quality is really great. I was suprised that the episodes look so good!

rage2
11-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Seinfeld special is on right now on NBC (east). It'll be on for west coast feeds at 11pm.

It's in HDTV :thumbsup:

Neil4Speed
11-25-2004, 09:19 PM
haha rage and your HDTV lol, I have never experienced it so I guess I can't say anything. I am watching it right now though!

"This was the exact booth that we thought up Seinfeld. Well, not this actual booth, it was the one over there, but there are two ladies in that one, but it was a booth allot like this one"

Neil4Speed
11-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by s__dime
Im renting them from blockbuster then burning them:) its way less expensive

Well man, its going to be $40 at least from any place you rent it because most places rent them individually. That was my original thought to lol. I think I would rather just pay the extra 40 and buy them. If you find a place that rents them as a box, let me know! lol

I love Seinfeld, straight up!

Gspotracer
11-26-2004, 01:02 AM
I can't wait to watch these, 26 episodes in a row:thumbsup: