PDA

View Full Version : looking to purchase 4x4? help

Paul
08-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey,

I'm looking to purchase a 4x4 upon the sale of my car. I wanted something that i can drive for more than 5 months of the year. What i'm currently considering is a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II SE model. They are currently selling for around the $30,000 range which i'm cool with.

The vehicle won't be off-roaded, i'm not that hardcore. I just want something nice to roll around in that will be good in Calgary's winters.

Does anyone know if they are good vehicles, i searched and for the most part the 2001's seem like decently built vehicles. Does anyone know any horror stories about them mechanically?? I know that FORD bought out the company from BMW in 2000 (i think) so that is of some concern to me as i'm a huge FORD hater. This might be a stupid reason to stay away from one of the best built luxury SUV's but hey, ford sucks major ballz...

Anyways, if any of you know or if you know anyone who owns one and hates it fill me in, i need your advice.

Thanks.

C4S
08-07-2004, 01:14 PM
1999 and up Land Rover Disco is a very good car, recommend 2000 and up, and they were made by BMW ! I miss my disco so much ! and put it this way, somehow, they are very cheap to buy a used one now ! for $30K, to get a high class Disco II or a chinese-mom 4 runner ? :dunno:

Yes, their maintanence are high, but, so do all other SUV ~

Their electronic are more realiable then the series I, yes, it is still a bit under power, but smooth and realiable engine, and agian, fit and finish, qulity is there ! at least, it is a LAND ROVER ! the most well know and high class name in the world for SUV.

I had mine for a bit over a yrs, only few little problem, and the Land Rover service people are nice, running cost is probaby same as my gf's mom 4 runner ! but 1000000 times nicer ! :D

Any question, let me know ! I want one again as well ! and so far, no other SUV looks nicer and cooler then Land Rover ! ( to me ! ) :clap:

turboMiata
08-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Paul, I think you'll be pretty happy with the D2. Land Rover made lots of improvements to the truck from the engine to the suspension and stretched the body out a bit (the ass got bigger). Engine management has been improved and they punched out the displacement a fair bit.

The 99 4.0L engines have a problem with their sleeves in the back 2 cylinders, causing engine failure. However, that was fixed in 2000 so you should be fine. As C4S had said, they are a pretty solid truck and the Calgary dealership is top notch, starting with Karl their service manager and James the parts guy.

The D1 and D2 are completely built in Solihull. There are no jaguar or ford parts in them. The engine is still the old Buick V8. BMW had a lot of influence in the new Range Rover. When Ford stepped in, the decided to leave Discovery mostly alone. With the new Disco3 or LR3, you'll see more of a Ford influence starting with the Jaguar V8. Your D2 will last forever with regular maintenance.

If you get a D2, you should consider taking the vehicle wheeling with us sometimes. I have a 95 D2 and a small group of us go out once in a while. Here's a picture of us at Moab.

BTW, make sure when you buy the truck it has a CDL. This is quite important!!!

turboMiata
08-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by C4S
I want one again as well ! and so far, no other SUV looks nicer and cooler then Land Rover ! ( to me ! ) :clap:

So, why not get a 95? They are going very cheap now!! :thumbsup:

hash
08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
I've driven one of the never discoveries (series II).... and they drive quite beautifully. Somehow 'different' from your average american or japanese SUV. They handle differently, and the driving position is almost like you're perched on top..

However... I've also heard about lots of problems with reliability. But then again... I've never owned one and don't have any personal experiences. So, I'd go with the discovery owners on this one. Only thing I'd be concerned about is terribly low resale values.

I'd say... test drive a range of them... american, japanese... and you'll have a better idea.

subdermal
08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
If you're not going to go offroad, why get a real 4x4? Plenty of cars have AWD, can be driven year round, and will be cheaper to maintain (and keep fuelled).

meithkiller
08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Look at Toyota's offerings. ;)

JordanLotoski
08-08-2004, 09:02 PM
wait for the 2005 xterra, thats what iam doing..should b out in a few months

turboMiata
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
wait for the 2005 xterra, thats what iam doing..should b out in a few months

IFS, leaf springs. meh.

Paul
08-09-2004, 12:32 PM
[i]
BTW, make sure when you buy the truck it has a CDL. This is quite important!!! [/B]

hey,

i'm kinda new to the whole 4x4 lingo, what is CDL? the model i'm considering is the Discovery II SE. would this be standard on it, as it's the hightest trim level (other than the 7) ??

Thanks for your inputs guys, I have a lot of faith in japanese SUV's, but just want something a little more refined. I went to the dealership and test drove an SE this weekend and was very impressed, this one had the active cornering assist (or some variation of it) and was very good on the road. I am also very impressed with the sales staff at the dealership, they wern't pushy and gave me a package on owning a used land rover.

The lady that helped me told me the only reason BMW ever bought Land Rover was to steal the technology to use in their own line of SUV's (development of the X5/3) once they learned all of the tricks they simpily sold the company. If BMW is willing to spend that kinda dough on a company i'm pretty sure they'll be just as good as any Jap SUV

turboMiata
08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
CDL is the center differential lock. Very, very important.

And BTW, i think BMW sold LR to Ford because they didn't realize LR had soooo much friggin quality control issues. Rather than try to fix it, they just gave up. You won't believe how many times Ford has threatened to close down Solihull due to quality issues (LR is getting better).

There's nothing fancy about rovers. Ladder frame, solid axle construction. Buick engine. Open diffs... I'm not sure what's there to steal? In fact, I think LR benefited more with the new Range Rover and Freelander saving the company.

And also remember that the fuel economy on the disco is friggin abysmal, like what subdermal said.

brabus190e
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
my parents have a 99 D2 and they love it...however the only problem that they are having is that the brakes need replacing almost every year...it is their daily driver however the brakes don't last that long

copenahgen
08-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Kobe
08-31-2004, 03:28 AM
99 Chevy Silverado Z71

- 146XXXKM mostly highway
- Heated Seats :drool:
- Extended Cab
- Was around $45,000 new with all the options..

- Price - $22,500OBO GST INCLUDING

Pm me for pics..

Kenny_boy
09-15-2004, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by turboMiata
[B]CDL is the center differential lock. Very, very important.

actually, I would go with a posi diff, cause with all my experience on the farm, nothing pisses you off more than when one tire is spinnign and the other is on good solid ground, yes there is some good limited slips out there, but nothign like the insurance of having both back tires turning all the time...