PDA

View Full Version : Jenson Button headed to Williams

civic_stylez
08-07-2004, 01:31 PM
i got this off of F1live.com

Following reports yesterday that BAR Honda's lead driver Jenson Button is leaving to join the Williams team in 2005, BAR Team Principal David Richards has made the following statement:

"We are absolutely astounded to hear that Jenson thinks that he is leaving BAR for Williams next season. Neither myself, nor any other member of the BAR team, has been contacted by Jenson to discuss this matter."

"Jenson is under contract with BAR for 2005, since we took up an option on his services only last month. At no time during the last few months has Jenson expressed anything other than his desire to continue working with BAR to achieve our collective goal of winning the World Championship."

Jenson Button joined BAR in 2003 from Renault and has seen his career transformed as a result. During the four and a half seasons of his F1 career he has scored 106 points, of which 78 have been in the last year and a half with BAR. In 2004 Button took his first F1 podium and he is currently lying third in the drivers' championship.

At the German Grand Prix, 23 July 2004, Honda confirmed their long- term commitment to BAR announcing the extension of their existing contract to at least 2007, with an even greater commitment of engineering resources. Their track record of 11 F1 World Championships clearly places them in an outstanding position to provide the resources to take the team and Button to the very top.

Richards continues: "It is our intention to enforce our current contractual position with Jenson. My duty is to the 400- strong workforce which has worked tirelessly over the past two seasons to give Jenson the car he has today; and to our partners, whose unfailing support and commitment to the team has contributed to the solid structure we now have in place."

"Unfortunately this is now a matter for the lawyers and I have every confidence that the legal process will confirm that yesterday's announcement has not only been premature but also invalid."

Press Release
BAR Honda

It also looks live Mika Hakkinen is going to fill his seat at Honda if he leaves and David Coulthard is going to Jaguar.

Team_Mclaren
08-07-2004, 05:27 PM
i can almost ensure u that Mika Hakkinen will not come back!!! he has noth left to prove, and the only team he'll EVER come back for is Mclaren

civic_stylez
08-07-2004, 08:37 PM
i dunno man! i got that from F1live .com!!

Hakkinen to BAR Honda?

Mika Hakkinen and BAR Honda have held initial discussions regarding a possible racing return for the 1998 and 1999 World Champion according to French AFP sources.

The news broke today, less than 24-hours after BMW Williams announced that current BAR driver Jenson Button is to join their team in 2005, an announcement very much disputed by BAR’s boss Dave Richards.

The Hakkinen link to BAR was revealed today on his visit to Jyvaskyla during the Finnish World Rally Championship event. Rumour circulating at the rally service park is that he has already signed a contract with the team.

"There is no smoke without fire," Hakkinen told Finnish Television. "I don't want to say more at the moment. Suffice to say the discussions with BAR are particularly interesting."

Should Williams achieve their aim and Button does move to the team for next season, the seat alongside Takuma Sato is up for grabs. Mika Hakkinen joins the list of many drivers, including test driver Anthony Davidson, who would love a shot at driving for BAR Honda.

E.A.
:dunno:

Team_Mclaren
08-07-2004, 08:44 PM
ya i read that too, but i still think that its not very believable.. since mclaren pretty much raise Hakkinen to be a champ, and his relationship with Mclaren is still good. I even think that Mclaren might even drop Motoya to get him back.. who knows

at least i really dont want that to happen:(

hjr
08-08-2004, 11:30 AM
wow. simply wow. lots of excitment flying around

civic_stylez
08-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by hjr
wow. simply wow. lots of excitment flying around

no shit hey?? i think every team except ferrari will have a new driver next year......

hyperwhite
08-09-2004, 06:23 PM
has this situation been cleared up yet? has anyone heard anything new? i really want button to stay at honda.

bigboom
08-09-2004, 07:23 PM
eccelstone has threateneed button with removal of his licence if he does go to williams.

iceburns288
08-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
eccelstone has threateneed button with removal of his licence if he does go to williams.

When I heard this earlier I was so excited... links to articles in one sec.

Okay here they are (I personally have not read them)

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=94190
http://www.f1central.net/news/1092040466.html
http://www.formula1.com/news/2012.html

hyperwhite
08-10-2004, 09:08 AM
i really don't like the way JB is going about this. he's just lost another fan. btw, what are the odds on villeneuve getting his ride back???:D

civic_stylez
08-10-2004, 05:51 PM
^^ no shit i was like totally JB fan #1 for honda and then he became a dick.... honda was so supportive of button as well. what a waste...

Alpine Autowerks
08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Williams is just exercising their option on JB, they had him first & FW allways leaves a clawback option on his drivers.

Richards can go f*&k himself. he will loose as the prat deserves to.

Team_Mclaren
08-11-2004, 11:50 PM
both teams are fighting for him hardcore.!!!!! i stil dont thin his so great~

civic_stylez
08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
f1 is becoming a mess!! the should do it just like street hockey where everyone puts there sticks in the middle and buddy closes his eyes and tosses the sticks to each side... every driver tosses his helmet in the middle and the teams are picked that way...:thumbsup: :drama:

Team_Mclaren
08-12-2004, 10:34 PM
^^ lol

DC said he wanna be in BAR now... wow, this is a HUGE mess

hyperwhite
08-13-2004, 10:26 AM
well if you were DC would you rather go to jag or honda? but this is now officially the craziest silly season evar! the only guys that will be in the same rides next year are taku, MS, and rubens