PDA

View Full Version : price of high milage maintenance?

FinalAeon
08-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I want to buy a 1996 or 1997 Acura Integra, but with higher milage because of my low budget, thinking about spending around 6k-7k on it finding a good deal. It would have somewhere between 60,000-100,000 miles on it... and my question is, at that high of milage, what are the most common problems that occur that need fixing/replacing? My dad can help me install the parts and I'm not asking him this question cause he's not thrilled that I'm buying my own car for reasons I do not know... and exaggerating greatly on a lot of things trying to scare me out of it...

he's said so far the normal stuff like brakes, tires, and stuff, but if someone could gimme a list of problems that occur around the 60,000-100,000 mark and the price to just buy the new parts (please do not include installation cost )that'd be great, thx.

RiceCake
08-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Timing belt could be up for replacement... Clutch...

H4LFY2nR
08-08-2004, 03:27 PM
From my own experience:
water pump, thermostat, alternator belt, alternator, axle boots, oilpan gasket, valve seals

battery, axles, cat

My parents tried to scare me out of buying a car by saying how much they cost to maintain aswell. And unforunately it is true, owning a car does burn a hole in your pocket, its just some cars burn the hole faster than others. You just have to be prepared to absorb those extra costs. I suggest having an extra $1000 or even $500 saved as a car fixing buget at all times, this way if something more serious than regular maintainence happens to your car you can fix it right away (less downtime=less money wasted on insurance). And on a 96+ Integra I wouldn't expect there to be much more than regular mainainence anyways unless it was really bagged on. Don't slack on the easy maintainence that way there is less of a chance of something major needing replacement.:thumbsup:

Xtrema
08-09-2004, 11:26 AM
#1 Insurance, Integra has always been thefts' favorite, couple that it's a coupe and you are young (assumed since your bring up dad in your question), insurance can cost you a pretty penny. Check it out before buying.

#2 Honda recommends new timing belt every 60K miles/100K km. I've known they can stretch out to 90-95K miles if you want to risk it but if you're looking for one between 60K-100K, chances are you need a new belt. Belt is cheap ($20-$30), labor is around 2-3 hours, mechanic rates are about $50/hr and up. You do the math.

The other parts you may have to swap is battery ($50), tires ($200-$500), clutch if it's a manual.

Cars ain't cheap, boy. Even if everything is running at tip top shape and car is paid for, insurance-gas-maintenance-depreciation will still run you close to $300-$400US a month. That's before you start modding and doing stuff to your car. Make sure you have some stable income to support it.