PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Carrera GT vs Ford GT vs SLR vids

Gripenfelter
08-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Seperate vids.

Which is the better car? You be the judge.

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/TopGear_FordGT_lo.wmv
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/TopGear_FordGT_hi.wmv

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Porsche_Carrera_GT_lo.wmv
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Porsche_Carrera_GT_hi.wmv

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_SLR_hi.wmv
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_SLR_Stig_hi.wmv

BigMass
08-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Carrera GT is what i'd want if i could have anyone of those.

Fluidic
08-09-2004, 07:49 PM
SLR thank you very much. :)

NickGT
08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Ford GT :drool:

Gixxer600
08-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic
SLR thank you very much. :)

:werd:

iceburns288
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
CGT...

4 gallons to the mile is insane. (I've already seen them)

Holy crap I just read what I typed and I said 4 gallons to the mile lol... it should be 4 mpg.:banghead: :rofl: This isn't the original GT40 after all...

1badPT
08-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by NickGT
Ford GT :drool: :werd:

Hakkola
08-10-2004, 03:19 PM
wow, that lap time with the SLR was phenomenal. :eek: All the cars are sweet, but I'd take the Carrera or SLR, probably the SLR.

the carrera beat the slr by only a second, thought it would be a bit more than that. While I'd buy the SLR, the carrera looks like great fun to drive.

fj0
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
CGT, easy.

Put the Enzo in there and I'd go Enzo instead. :drool:

E36M3
08-10-2004, 04:24 PM
I'd go with the Carrera GT. Razor-like handling and other Porsche-style reflexes are necessary for supercars.. benzes are too sedate.

The Ford GT is a good value though.. I'd consider one, but not against the other two cars.

Redlyne_mr2
08-10-2004, 05:27 PM
CGT all the way. The Ford GT is an amazing car as well but doesnt handle as well and has a not so exotic engine. The SLR is a super ugly GT car that drives itself..yawn

Hakkola
08-10-2004, 07:26 PM
So praise for the GT, but none for the SLR which is superior in pretty much every single way?

Redlyne_mr2
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
So praise for the GT, but none for the SLR which is superior in pretty much every single way?
The SLR is basically a huge computer on wheels, not really my idea of a cool car. And no Im not a Benz hater, I have some friends with some wicked W series Benzos:D

iceburns288
08-10-2004, 08:38 PM

If it was so superior it would have been faster round the track, right? And looked almost nearly as good as the CGT? And it would be at least available in manual? And it would be able to make some real N/A power instead of relying on a supercharger for a little power to keep up, no? CGT all the way! Until, of course, you bring the Enzo in. A convertible Enzo!:eek: :burnout: :burnout:

Redlyne_mr2
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

If it was so superior it would have been faster round the track, right? And looked almost nearly as good as the CGT? And it would be at least available in manual? And it would be able to make some real N/A power instead of relying on a supercharger for a little power to keep up, no? CGT all the way! Until, of course, you bring the Enzo in. A convertible Enzo!:eek: :burnout: :burnout:
The CGT is a faster track car than the Enzo. Its also over half the price. :thumbsup:

962 kid
08-10-2004, 08:46 PM
c-gt!! ford GT can't touch the porsche in anything other than price and the SLR is ugly, has plastic panels in the interior (:eek: ) and weighs more than the wheelchair lady at 3800 lbs

track results:

Autodromo del Levante

Porsche 53.86
Enzo 54.98
Lambo (Merc) 55.82
SLR 57.45

Nardo Bowl

Ferrari Enzo: 218.7 mph
Porsche Carrera GT: 205.8 mph
Mercedes McLaren SLR: 205.8 mph
Lamborghini Murcielago: 203.3 mph
Bentley Continental GT: 198.4 mph
Aston Martin DB9: 190.4 mph

NickGT
08-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
c-gt!! ford GT can't touch the porsche in anything other than price

It also apparently has a higher top speed according to video. 212mph. Obviously it doesn't handle as well or match the porsche in lap times. But everything has its ups and downs.

962 kid
08-10-2004, 09:08 PM

It also apparently has a higher top speed according to video. 212mph.

oops :D but I've seen a vid with a c-gt going 207 mph, and noone has verified the factories top speed for the ford yet

also, does anyone else notice how jeremy has a new 'fastest car in the world' pretty much every episode? the zonda, then the koenigsegg, then the sl55 is the fastest automatic, then the slr is, then in an article he wrote he said the c-gt was the fastest, and now the ford GT is the fastest car you can buy today

Hakkola
08-10-2004, 10:44 PM

It actually was faster, because I was talking about the Ford GT, not the CGT, I should have clarified. I agree with the CGT being better looking as well, but for the streets I'd rather be driving the SLR.

Originally posted by 962 kid
c-gt!! ford GT can't touch the porsche in anything other than price and the SLR is ugly, has plastic panels in the interior (:eek: ) and weighs more than the wheelchair lady at 3800 lbs

Umm, the interior is the same pretty much as the SL55, the interiors of the CGT and FGT are complete shit in comparison, I like the interor of the CGT, but Porsche interiors are not known for their luxury or beauty. Personally I like Porsche interiors, but comparing them to higher end MB interiors is ludicrous.

962 kid
08-10-2004, 10:53 PM

Umm, the interior is the same pretty much as the SL55, the interiors of the CGT and FGT are complete shit in comparison, I like the interor of the CGT, but Porsche interiors are not known for their luxury or beauty. Personally I like Porsche interiors, but comparing them to higher end MB interiors is ludicrous.

in terms of creature comforts, yes the slr is better. but the c-gt has a magnesium centre console, unique to the GT alone, whereas the slr has a sl55 console covered with plastic panels. i had no idea that plastic and leather were so high above carbon fibre and magnesium

Hakkola
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
A magnesium center console!!! I take my comments back.

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2004, 10:16 AM
A magnesium center console!!! I take my comments back.
yeah man the interiors of porsches arent for everyone but the CGT is a different story. Ive sat in side both, the SLR is all Chrysler the CGT is pure business

Hakkola
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
And it would be able to make some real N/A power instead of relying on a supercharger for a little power to keep up, no?

Almost forgot about this. Why do you care how the Mercedes makes its power? Porsche uses turbos on some of their cars for power to keep up, no? I guess the 911 turbo's must be peices of shit because they don't use real N/A power... :rolleyes:

E36M3
08-11-2004, 01:15 PM
NA cars are generally more responsive.. an M5 for example is a lot more responsive than an E55 even though they perform somewhat the same.

Almost forgot about this. Why do you care how the Mercedes makes its power? Porsche uses turbos on some of their cars for power to keep up, no? I guess the 911 turbo's must be peices of shit because they don't use real N/A power... :rolleyes:

NickGT
08-11-2004, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't say the Ford GT interior is the shits either. It has unique styling and the retro look suits the vehicle perfectly. I wouldn't know if it actually felt cheap or not and I doubt you would either. I'm pretty sure the boys on Top Gear would have mentioned if it was (since they bash all american vehicles for quality typically - not this time. All they could hate on it for was the gas mileage, and the roof on the door. Which is pretty weak imo...

Not to take away from the SLR or the CGT, which have gorgeous interiors and perform much better on the road course. But again for their price, I should hope they would. I dont think the Ford GT fits well into this trio based on its lap times. But its cool that it is still being compared (being a ford enthusiast and all), even if it is at the low end of the spectrum.

Pic of the FGT Interior

hjr
08-11-2004, 04:37 PM
so we can all agree that in a perfect world, the CGT is the best, but for hitting around town, the creature comforts of the SLR might outweigh the higher performance offered by the CGT.

word. its all about opportunity cost.

300rwhp
08-11-2004, 06:12 PM
wheere did you sit in a slr i sat in the exact one that was in the top gear vid and it was gorgeous and mclaren is a serious company that isnt all about computers
i got a ride in the slr from a mclaren tech who had it out one night at the pub and from him he states the slr its not a ibm on wheels

Ben
08-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Jesus Hakk, talk about whining like a little baby, you act as if you designed the car and with people not saying it's a total utopian device best in the world you sure take offence.

Every artical I've seen about it states it as a challenging blast to drive. All of them said the car will go beyond the limits of ANY driver on earth. You contstantly have to pay attention to what you're doing or the CGT will own you for it.

Thats what makes the CGT a real drivers car.

habsfan
08-11-2004, 06:33 PM
the sound of the CGT alone is enough to make it my choice :drool:

Hakkola
08-12-2004, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't say the Ford GT interior is the shits either. It has unique styling and the retro look suits the vehicle perfectly. not this time. All they could hate on it for was the gas mileage, and the roof on the door. Which is pretty weak imo...

Not a terrible interior. They also hated on the handling, but the car is great value I'd agree. It is stupid how they hate on the design of the door, but it kind of is a silly design. I might be ignorant though, do you know why they designed it the way they did?

Ben, where did I say the CGT wasn't amazing? In fact I believe I said it looked really fun to drive, more so than the SLR. To be Frank, I don't think the SLR is even that great looking, I never once said it was perfect. I just thought some of the comments about the car were silly.

NickGT
08-12-2004, 07:48 AM

Not a terrible interior. They also hated on the handling, but the car is great value I'd agree. It is stupid how they hate on the design of the door, but it kind of is a silly design. I might be ignorant though, do you know why they designed it the way they did?

Considering the FGT is targetted for the Ferrari Challenge Stradale performance and price wise, and then beat it on the course, says the handling although maybe not as refined as a ferrari, is still there. They didn't really hate on the handling to much because when you consider the other 2 cars cost 3X as much they aren't really in the same league and that was quickly dismissed.

In regards to the door design. I'm not completely sure why it was originally designed like that on the original GT40. I think it makes it easier for the driver to get in and out (with the door wide open of course) on the original car. Since it was only 40" tall. (See Video as Jeremy didn't even fit in the car lol!)

However I know that for a fact it was implemented on the new Ford GT to keep true to the GT40 styling. Which is damn cool imo. If any manufactorer brought back a car from the 60's, decided to make it modern, then totally changed some of the most unique aspects of it, however questionable they are, that would ruin the purpose of building such a car.

Hakkola
08-12-2004, 11:05 PM

I think it makes it easier for the driver to get in and out (with the door wide open of course) on the original car. Since it was only 40" tall. (See Video as Jeremy didn't even fit in the car lol!)

However I know that for a fact it was implemented on the new Ford GT to keep true to the GT40 styling. Which is damn cool imo. If any manufactorer brought back a car from the 60's, decided to make it modern, then totally changed some of the most unique aspects of it, however questionable they are, that would ruin the purpose of building such a car.

That makes sense.

Interesting what you said about the GT40, as the SLR is kind of like the modern MB Gullwing...

1badPT
08-13-2004, 12:16 AM
My friend's client is getting one of the 5 Ford GT 40's coming to Canada - and his client said he'd give him a ride in it - JUST A LITTLE ENVY HERE :nut:

NickGT
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
My friend's client is getting one of the 5 Ford GT 40's coming to Canada - and his client said he'd give him a ride in it - JUST A LITTLE ENVY HERE :nut:

Wow! So is his client a local guy? Will we see this on the streets do you think?

1badPT
08-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Yeah his client base is local, I'm assuming Calgary :dunno:

Gripenfelter
08-15-2004, 02:29 AM
I dunno...Ford GT is nice but its still Ford. I would not dish out that much coin for any Ford, GM, or Chrysler.

Made from the finest plastics and vinyls money can buy. :poosie:

Carrera GT for me.

LamE
08-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Fack the ford GT...ugh ford :barf:
Ferrari Enzo, ntkthx. The SLK looks wack but is damn fast for way less $ than an mclaren f1.

Jarn0
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM

Considering the FGT is targetted for the Ferrari Challenge Stradale performance and price wise, and then beat it on the course, says the handling although maybe not as refined as a ferrari, is still there. They didn't really hate on the handling to much because when you consider the other 2 cars cost 3X as much they aren't really in the same league and that was quickly dismissed.

In regards to the door design. I'm not completely sure why it was originally designed like that on the original GT40. I think it makes it easier for the driver to get in and out (with the door wide open of course) on the original car. Since it was only 40" tall. (See Video as Jeremy didn't even fit in the car lol!)

Would you like the drive a great Ford GT40 .. or the über sexy 360 Modena ... IMO, I'll take the 360 modena because it's a ferrari .. I don't want a Ford :barf: .. well maybe that's just me