PDA

View Full Version : 4 runner issues

bheuchert
08-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I have a 88 4 runner with the 22r motor that I just picked up for a good price now I want to be able to kick my kids butt. He has a tracker with 32 inch tires and a 3 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift.

Now my questions have more to do with practical issues that just lifting. With this vehicle what is the cheapest and best way to go from only having two tires spinning to maybe adding a posi to the rear? Is it worth it to add the posi or does the 4 runner work well as is?

I was told a cheap way to get posi is to do some welding in the dif. is this an advisable way to go. I will only be using this vehicle to play or put my boat in and out of the water. I like a more sleeper approach to things.

my list of changes are as follows:
winch, posi, cam, and then depending on motor's power other changes yet keeping it as a 4cyl ( bored out maybe if needed)

no hills in manitoba only bush and mud.
brad

turboMiata
08-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by bheuchert
I was told a cheap way to get posi is to do some welding in the dif. is this an advisable way to go.

NO. If you weld your open diff together, your diff or drive shaft will grenade when you drive on asphalt or slickrock.

Unless of course you only drive in a straight line.

CelicaST-162
08-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Your better off putting in an LSD from another 4runner (entire axle swap easier), or you can slap on a locker. (Air locker so you can lock and unlock:thumbsup: )

freakin
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
88 was the last year before the body style changed, right? I'm trying to remember my toys, but I belive that year still had a leaf in the rear before going to coils in the newer body style. Anyhow, what I'm getting at is, you should be able to pull the axle off any of the toy trucks or 4runners that already has posi. Welding the diff is a VERY bad idea if you plan on driving it anywhere but in the bush. Alternatively you could add posi, or a locker, but that's more money.

PS, if you do find a doner truck to pull the rear off of, you should take all of the front end as well. The truck will perform a lot better off road with a solid front axle. You'll have to do a bit of work to change it over, but if you get all of the spring perches and misc. mounting pieces off of the doner it's really not that hard to do.

CelicaST-162
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by freakin
The truck will perform a lot better off road with a solid front axle. You'll have to do a bit of work to change it over, but if you get all of the spring perches and misc. mounting pieces off of the doner it's really not that hard to do.

SAS swap!

Redlyne_mr2
08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
^^^^Holly shit thats awesome. I want to get into 4x4ing so badly but only have the money for the sports car thing:(

CelicaST-162
08-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
^^^^Holly shit thats awesome. I want to get into 4x4ing so badly but only have the money for the sports car thing:(

Ryan, find an el cheapo 4 runner or even better get a cheap Pathfinder :D . Pathfinders love the off road abuse and are always ready for more haha. Anyways find a cheap good running one, slap on some 31's, some tow rope and your on your merry way to newbie 4 wheeling. I was planning to go to the Calgary Nissan 4x4 club jamboree but the Pathfinder decided screw that and broke the starter....no 4 wheeling for me for a while :(

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51169

freakin
08-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

SAS swap!

Now that's what I'm talking about!! That pathfinder is sick!!

Redlyne_mr2
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

Ryan, find an el cheapo 4 runner or even better get a cheap Pathfinder :D . Pathfinders love the off road abuse and are always ready for more haha. Anyways find a cheap good running one, slap on some 31's, some tow rope and your on your merry way to newbie 4 wheeling. I was planning to go to the Calgary Nissan 4x4 club jamboree but the Pathfinder decided screw that and broke the starter....no 4 wheeling for me for a while :(

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51169
Yeah man Ive been keeping my eye out for one. A buddy of mine bought a pathfinder like yours with 160K for $750. Its a 2 door 89 I beliebe 5 speed manual. The thing rules, we even towed my ae86 on a trailer with it!

CelicaST-162
08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Some more SAS pics :D

CelicaST-162
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
This is the exact place where the mud owned my pathy :( , Mud in your alternator is really a good thing!

CelicaST-162
08-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Mr Bojangles, got some more pics of your beast? ^^^^:D Redlyne, an important tip...get a rig that has LSD!!! It sucks off roading on an open diff:(

subdermal
08-24-2004, 11:10 PM
theres an 89 sidekick with a bunch of mods (33's, lift, welded rear diff, and more) going for $2k on 4wheeler.ca right now. I would have grabbed it myself (next sbc swap!) if I had room for any more projects... might be worth lookin into redlyne if you want a cheap 1st rig.