PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Vancouver through the US?

bol
08-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm going to vancouver for a week in september. I've driven there a bunch of times but always via hwy 1. I want to go down through the states this time either on the way there on the way back. Dip into Montana, check out Seattle and come back up along the coast.

Anybody done this before? What are some good routes and highways to check out?

Shaolin
08-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I go to Seattle every year for soccer.. we go Cranbrook, Spokane to Seattle.. nothing really great to check out, except when you hit the I90 (I think?) that runs from Spokane to Seattle.. very good road to just pin'er.. it's pretty hot on that highway too, feels like a desert. All the sightseeing is done before you hit Idaho, after Idaho it's flatland and the temperature jumps.

Don't know much about Montana though, only been there a couple of times..

hjr
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM
most of eastern washington is like a desert. very southern alberta. not much at all too see.

RC-Cola
08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Instead of going through the States you might want to consider going through Wine country in Kelowna and Penticton. Lots of windy twisty roads and some nice scenery.

lint
08-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I just made the drive to Seattle back in June. We headed straight down and crossed the boarder at Carway. We would have gone through Glacier, but they hadn't fully cleared Logan Pass yet, so we went around. Lots of twisties on this stretch of road too. And the scenery was amazing. That is one of the nicest drives I've been on. Montana is beautiful, we headed through Missoula and then west to Coeur D'Alene and through to Seattle on the 90. I'm heading back down next June, and I'm taking the same route, only through Logan's Pass hopefully. If you haven't done it, you won't regret it.
I didn't notice any desert, and Seattle is called the Emerald City for a reason.

hjr
08-09-2004, 02:21 PM
maybe i was further south, but it seemed like the whole place was like southern alberta as soon as you got out of the mountains

benyl
08-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Have fun:

http://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm

I own the book for BC... you can borrow it if you like.

There is also one for washington if you click on the DHWA link.