PDA

View Full Version : Huge ticket- need help

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
my brother was driving back from edm yesterday morning and got pulled over goin 169 in the 110 zone...
yes i know its gonna be hard 2 fite, yes i know hes dumb and shuldnt have been driving that fast, yes i know he put others in danger....bla bla bla

however is their nething we can do
as in contact points or whatever other companies their are that can represent us

cuz what the police office sed was its gonna be between 900-1200$ fine, and 30-90 day suspension....

my brother has no problem wit the fine, its just the suspension and demerits......we also understand theirs no way 2 get them all taken off...whats the best way to go about this

btw the court is in panoka if that matters

any help is greatly appreciated

Gonthro
08-09-2004, 03:10 PM
panoka court = YER FUXORED

those guys are so hardcore on highway charges, its the only source of income for that lil hick town, good luck fighin this one.

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
panoka court = YER FUXORED

those guys are so hardcore on highway charges, its the only source of income for that lil hick town, good luck fighin this one.

tru...the fine is no problem, its just the demerits, like honesty he wuld pay whatever so that the insurance doesnt gett affected and my mom doesnt find out
shes alrady paying 8300 for his insurance..

Kartelli
08-09-2004, 03:14 PM
8300!!!!!!!

holy shit, I think it might be a better bet just to take the ets

ZorroAMG
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
That sucks. Looks like she'll be paying more quite soon. Too bad, so sad.

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Kartelli
8300!!!!!!!

holy shit, I think it might be a better bet just to take the ets

well he needs his car, him not driving isint really an option...

Gonthro
08-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Jynx

well he needs his car, him not driving isint really an option... whats he drivin?? if he got a lil beater not only would it lower insurance but it would prevent charges like this cos he would not b able to go that fast :P

1badPT
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
wow d00d, I don't think you have much good news coming to you or your mother. Up to 49km/h over the limit is considered a minor speeding ticket, he's 59 over and if you're mom is paying that much in insurance, I'm guessing he's got some accidents or other major tickets in his insurance history. Even worse is its in Ponoka. The demerit points might be the only thing you can bargain on but don't count on it because its not like he was a little over the 49km/h limit, he was way over it, so there's not going to be a lot of room to deal.

Big fine, suspension, points and likely a big increase when it comes time to renew the insurance. Only thing I could suggest is volunteer to exclude him from the auto policy. This means he cannot drive - not his car, not his mothers, not yours. If he drives any other car, the other driver runs the risk of being rated at with his insurance history. What I'm getting at is your bro should probably take a break from driving for a long while. Or be prepared to pay a lot in insurance.

GL
PS - insurance doesn't give a shit about demerit points - those points are only there for licensing purposes. If you get enough of them you lose your license. The damage of this ticket is already done with or without the points. Suffice it to say, with a major ticket on his record, any insurance policy he appears on will be considered high risk, which means extremely expensive rates.

Strider
08-09-2004, 03:23 PM

well he needs his car, him not driving isint really an option...

There's always an option... especially when he's made enough stupid mistakes to make mommy pay that much for his insurance.

I'd sure as hell have a hard time justifying paying for insurance when the cost could buy me a new car every couple years.

Too little too late, but Ponoka is a known fishing hole... there's not much you can do to fight the ticket.

rage2
08-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I've never heard of anyone being able to bargain for anything at Ponoka. Full demerits and full fines, everytime.

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Strider

There's always an option... especially when he's made enough stupid mistakes to make mommy pay that much for his insurance.

I'd sure as hell have a hard time justifying paying for insurance when the cost could buy me a new car every couple years.

Too little too late, but Ponoka is a known fishing hole... there's not much you can do to fight the ticket.

ok...what bout gettin a lawyer or goin threw one of those ticket fighting companies..?

Gonthro
08-09-2004, 03:29 PM

ok...what bout gettin a lawyer or goin threw one of those ticket fighitng companies..?

phone one, tell them the situation and they'll give you an estimate price and what you can expect to receive as punishment.

JCX
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM

ok...what bout gettin a lawyer or goin threw one of those ticket fighting companies..?

I don't honestly know how you're going to have a leg to stand on in court. Your only chance, IMO, is if the officer doesn't show up. That's how my friend got away once. The cop didn't show up and his lawyer whispered to him "get the F%$# out of here". He did.

Maybe begging for mercy. Either way I think he's screwed.

How old is your brother?

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

phone one, tell them the situation and they'll give you an estimate price and what you can expect to receive as punishment.

where can i find their names and numbers?

Jynx
08-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JCX

I don't honestly know how you're going to have a leg to stand on in court. Your only chance, IMO, is if the officer doesn't show up.

How old is your brother?

just turned 20..

turbo_equiped
08-09-2004, 03:40 PM

where can i find their names and numbers?
yellow pages, white pages, internet!!
lots of places man

1badPT
08-09-2004, 03:46 PM

Most of those places are only effective in big cities as they have friends in the local police departments and can have your ticket "unfiled" for a fee. In essence a ticket is a formal document of the police officer charging you for whatever infraction (speeding in this case) and the fee you pay to these ticket fighting companies is for them to get the officer to withdraw his charge. In the case that the ticket has already been processed and a court date set, then they just arrange for the cop to not appear on the court date.

Its worth a shot, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

What's a lawyer going to do? You didn't mention the cop acting out of line or pressing a false charge. You're bro was in the wrong and he got caught, these are the consequences of that action :dunno:

Ridelikeme
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
see if u can get the court transferred to calgary.. if its in ponoka u are kinda fucked, my dad got a huge ticket there on the way to one of my hockey tourneyments, and we got it transferred to calgary.. he was doin over 150 in that same 110 area..

BebeAphrodite
08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've never heard of anyone being able to bargain for anything at Ponoka. Full demerits and full fines, everytime.

Same here. The people that I know who have received a ticket from Ponoka were pretty much screwed because they weren't given any lenience.

Originally posted by Ridelikeme
see if u can get the court transferred to calgary.. if its in ponoka u are kinda fucked, my dad got a huge ticket there on the way to one of my hockey tourneyments, and we got it transferred to calgary.. he was doin over 150 in that same 110 area..

How did it turn out? You're dad is lucky he got it moved! :D

Shaolin
08-09-2004, 04:25 PM
holy cripes, your mom is the only mom i know that's willing to pay 8300 a year so her kid could drive.. if my insurance was up to 8300, my mom will tell me to go whore myself out..

best of luck on the fight..

Z_Fan
08-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Well...at $8300 a year to drive, I'm thinking that's just crazy unless you are insuring Porsche GT. :-) LOL. Cuz then you'd have the money...

I think best option is to get a lawyer, have the lawyer submit a motion to move the court location to Calgary. If that is successful, then you can probably bargain it down a bit.

Good luck. Slow down. :rolleyes:

Khyron
08-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Well I always get bashed for being anti-law, but dude - maybe your brother needs a suspension. 8300 bucks a year and he's still doing 60 over the limit? That boy should be 10 over, max - if he can't restrain himself, then I dunno. The judge may even go harder on him.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
08-09-2004, 05:38 PM
^^^ yep, EXACTLY.

He deserves the fullest punishment due to him.

Zero102
08-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Sheeit, 59 over near Pokona, he's fucked.
Hopefully he will learn his lesson by not driving for 30 - 90 days, and not make his (extremely nice) mom pay over 8 grand a year for his sorry ass to drive.

Skylinelover
08-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Is the ticket really going to be 800-1000 becuase isn't that a little better than going 80 in a 30 zone?

Khyron
08-09-2004, 11:33 PM
That would be more than double limit - probably a wreckless driving charge doing 80 in a 30. The guy being more than 50 over won't even have an amount on the ticket. The judge could order him to pay more if he's already got a bad record.

The HARD limit is 50 over for the highway (so 160) - don't break this unless you can see for miles and there are NO cars in sight.

Khyron

LUDELVR
08-10-2004, 02:37 AM
There's always ways to fight a ticket!! I'd fight this one to the grave and prolly get off too!!! hahaha, first thing's first, get the whole thing postponed, if you're lucky you can do it for months and maybe years! :thumbsup:

Kid_a
08-10-2004, 03:18 AM
haha Ponoka = hardass. You're not getting anything, tell your friend to stop driving like a complete retard how bout?

bwahha :drama:

Jynx
08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
There's always ways to fight a ticket!! I'd fight this one to the grave and prolly get off too!!! hahaha, first thing's first, get the whole thing postponed, if you're lucky you can do it for months and maybe years! :thumbsup:

can we do this via phone or what?
or do we have 2 go all the way down their?

sputnik
08-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
He deserves the fullest punishment due to him.

:werd:

What is it with all of these punks that admit to going 60 over yet expect to be treated as if they are innocent.

Pile on the demerits, suspensions and insane insurance rates! The kid doesnt deserve to drive.

Jynx
08-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

What is it with all of these punks that admit to going 60 over yet expect to be treated as if they are innocent.

Pile on the demerits, suspensions and insane insurance rates! The kid doesnt deserve to drive.

what the fuck is ure problem, i stated at the top of the thread that he knows he cant get all the sutff taken off, but he can still try.....a speeding ticket 20 over or 60 over is still a ticket, so bascially ure saying everyone that tries 2 even get some of the shit off regardless of what it consists of shuldnt be driving......MORE THAN 90% of this forum shuldnt be driving then

if u have nothing productive 2 say, please dont say it.

boostfed
08-10-2004, 07:19 PM

tru...the fine is no problem, its just the demerits, like honesty he wuld pay whatever so that the insurance doesnt gett affected and my mom doesnt find out
shes alrady paying 8300 for his insurance..

Then your brother is a fucking retard and deserves whatever he gets. You don't get an 8300 dollar a year insurance bill by being a god damn angel, if he wants to take the chance cruising at 100 MPH on the highway, fuck him.

LUDELVR
08-10-2004, 10:28 PM

can we do this via phone or what?
or do we have 2 go all the way down their?

Nope, you just have to write out a formal letter requesting an adjournment and then state your reason. You can virtually use anything. For example ask for one because you can't get time off work or because you don't have any means of transportation or because you have a wedding or an appointment that day.

First thing's first though, you need to send in your ticket and plead not guilty. From there you will receive a letter with a trial date and where you need to go. At this point you should then write your letter requesting an adjournment as well as requesting particulars for the case. In your separate letter for requesting particulars, you should request items such as the officer's log book of all the tickets he had written that day as well as the log book for maintenence on the radar gun or laser gun that he had used to cite the ticket as well as his training and so forth. Trust me you'll need all this info and it will help your case.

From there, if you recieve another date, you should then wait till about a few weeks before that date and then send in another request for another adjournment. They will usually give you a couple months and if you're lucky you'll be able to push back the court case a long time, my longest is 1 year and 5 months. I finally chose to go to court after preparing a rock solid case and when I got there, the officier could not remember what had happened so he did not testify and the crown called no witness and the case was dismissed. In another case, I was able to push back the court date 1 year and when I went to the court date that I agreed upon, the officer had resigned from the Calgary Police force and was hired onto the RCMP. Between these two cases that I won, I saved about 1000 dollars.

In any case, you should do this and push it back as far as you can but still find a way to win the case and this is done by researching the laws and by destroying the crown's only witness...the officer. And you do this by destroying his credibility. :thumbsup:

Just to clear things up, I'm not an advocate for dumbass drivers cuz it's true, most of the people on here do drive like idiots from time to time. I'll tell you what I am a huge advocate of though, and that is fucking the court systems in Calgary for giving out tickets. Sure you may have deserved this ticket, but what about all those other people who have gotten tickets based soley on discrimination and we've all been a victim of this....I'm fucking robin hood!! ;) :rofl:

88CRX
08-10-2004, 10:39 PM
/\

wow..... i should print that shit out and save it