PDA

View Full Version : Smoke....lots of it..

Zephyr
11-06-2002, 10:30 PM
i dunno wuts causing this in my 5 series..... when i went to the dealer they said my radiator was leaking and it dripped onto my downpipe and evaporated causing all the smoke to come into the cabin and out the hood..... after i replaced it and fixed most of the problems....the smoke is still occuring! the temperature is normal. and everything seems to be running fine, just once in a while a lot of smoke comes out of my hood and horrible smell leaks into the cabin. i checked to see if anything got caught in it, like a plastic bag, paper, or even small animal. but nothing....

i opened the hood up while the smoking was comming out, it seem to be at the area of the downpipe connection with the exhaust manifold...

anyone know wut might cause this?:dunno:

turboMiata
11-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Did you check/replace all the bad hoses and clamps? Check also the heater core hoses. They typically go through the firewall into the cabin. You probably had a fractured hose somewhere.

Start the car, let it warm up and wait for the thermostat to open. Water should circulate and you should find your lead easy.

Of course the worst case is a cracked block or something. =)

cocoabrova
11-06-2002, 11:21 PM
What is the smell of the smoke that's coming out?? If it's kind of like a 'sweet' smell, than it's coolant burning. If it's oil, than I'm sure you'd know what that smells like. Have you noticed any stainage on the ground under where you park??

Zephyr
11-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
What is the smell of the smoke that's coming out?? If it's kind of like a 'sweet' smell, than it's coolant burning. If it's oil, than I'm sure you'd know what that smells like. Have you noticed any stainage on the ground under where you park??

no leaks on the area where i park. the smells is more of a burning type of smell, kinda like plastic burning...

and yea they thought maybe it had something to do with my heater, but they checked it and nothing...

repairs costed me 3k USD....thats one bad thing about driving a BMW...:banghead: