PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Industries...good?

CelicaST-162
08-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey guys, I would like some feedback about Alamo Industries. I will be sending my CT-26 there for a rebuild and 60-1 trim upgrade. Has anyone had experience with Alamo regarding upgrades? Positive or Negative I would like to hear, because it's a lot of money to be spent and want it done right.

Vic

illeagle
08-10-2004, 06:42 PM
I hear only good feedback, ask Finboy, he's always there..

CelicaST-162
08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Speak up Finboy!....any others?

WGR4Pussies
08-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I"ve heard good things aswell. :)

rage2
08-10-2004, 06:53 PM
I bought some new turbos off them. Awesome prices.

Ven
08-10-2004, 09:51 PM
The shop is a pig sty.

The manager rudely shamed one of his employees infront of me. Incrediably unprofessional.

They wanted $1400-$1600 for the 60-1 upgrade. I decided against since I was installing an SP kit a little later on.

Promised 3 weeks, took 8.

The delay was explained by the manager as having a hard time getting the rebuild kit. 2 employees told me the delay was because they didn't have the socket to get the comp wheel off, and that was the first CT they'd seen. Prior to dropping the turbo off I asked the manager if he's done CT's before, to which he responded yes all the time. Then why no socket? More so, why no rebuild kit stocked if you do them all the time?

Turbo looked AWESOME when I got it back. It also had exactly the same amount of shaft play as when I sent it in. There was no trace of balancing marks. Didn't think much of it at the time since my turbo was in good shape, I just wanted it freshend up while I had it off.

Turbo lasted 6000kms after the "rebuild". Yes it was prelubed, I run only Mobile 1, my TT is set for 1.5mins, replaced the feed and return line with new OEM units, and I ran it at stock boost with a new FIPK.

IMHO box it up and send it to these guys http://64.225.76.178/main.htm They have an above average reputation for CT upgrades.

I'm sure Alamo has had some success stories too, but not with me. Just sharing my experience.

Maxt
08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
I've had work done there, and its been good.. Some of the other rx guys had work done there with mixed results, but my experience were good, they have always been quick, reliable and reasonable with the pricing, like anyone else they probably have their off days as well though...
There is another turbo place though in the southeast in Foothills industrial park, they are supposed to be a garrett dealer, they couldn't even identify my garrett turbo when it was sitting on their counter then they wanted to ship my turbo to vancouver to get the front cover removed?????? It was after that, that I went to Alamo...Maxt

CelicaST-162
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Lots of the Supra guys reccomend me sending my turbo out to PT, but im not sure I want to send it out because it would take long....doing it locally would be a bit quicker.

Hey Ven, Alamo wanted 1400-1600 for a 60-1 on a CT? maybe I should save for an SP?:dunno:

LUDELVR
08-11-2004, 02:24 AM
I had my t3/t04e 50 trim sent there and it was all good. It took a week as promoised and all went well. I basically needed a rebuild because the ring gap was twice that of what it was supposed to be. I guess it helped that I took the turbo apart myself so that may have sped the process up a bit. Shaun was very professional with me and let me know what had to be done and what needed to be replaced as well as prices. In the end, his price was actually cheaper than that of what he quoted so I was happy about that.

My experience was very good but it wasn't that big of a job, simply replacing the oil ring and boring out the hole. But I'd still recommend them. :thumbsup:

Loose
08-11-2004, 08:22 AM
My turbo rebuild from Alamo lasted 2 minutes. Then the seals blew. I had to send it back to them with a letter telling them to redo it for free.

They did, I slapped that bitch back on my car, and sold it.

I think they suck.

90_Shelby
08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Alamo is great, and I only do business with them and there shop is definetly not a pig sty. If you had a problem with a turbo they rebuilt and they fixed it for nothing, Whats the Problem? Thats exactly what a shop should do, they stuck behind their product.

legendboy
08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I also cordinated a group buy and picked myself up a turbo from alamo. Shaun is a nice guy if you can get to know him a bit, although his demeanor isn't all that professional or friendly. I think there turbos are fine and their service is pretty damn good.