PDA

View Full Version : Help Importing A Car From US

huffer
08-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Well gentleman, I have done a search on here and was impressed with the turn-out. I have realized there is a scad of papers and phone calls I will have to make to get a car cross the border. MY question to the wealth of knowledge on this board is does anyone know of a company either Canadian or US based that will actually transport a car, ummm lets say from Ohio to Calgary or even as far north in Montana as possible. Ohio is a long drive from here but I managed to get a car I have been after for some-time. Any help would be appreciated.

Also anyway of getting away not paying for the GST at the border. I dont mind paying for the RIV fee and the A/C tax but let me know of some loopies if there is any I am overseeing.

Thanks in advance.

C4S
08-11-2004, 02:36 AM
I think .. 6-7 % import duty .. and 7% GST is a must .. and whole bunch of fee ..and convertion ... and some cars may not allowed to import to Canada ..

anyway ... I talked to few good friends.. whatever price you found from US, other then the exchange rate, ( 1.33 now ? ) then plus 15 % and shipping etc should be about right !

So .. most the cars are cheaper in US now anyway.

um .. do a search on beyond, I think we talked about this topic before ....

anyway .. headache to import a car to here ! :dunno:

TuckinDubs
08-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Go to www.riv.ca

It is the Registrar of imported vehicles into Canada, they have a list that shows which cars may or may not be allowed in.

There are a few mods that you must do, daytime running lights, etc. to make it pass inspection, which can be done at any Canadian Tire.

Read up on it cause I think that whole vehicles can get across with no duty as they are classified as household and personal effects.

statick
08-12-2004, 07:17 AM
BTW, wut car is it ur importing ?

huffer
08-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the input guys but I already have all the customs and what not covered. I was after some information as far as getting the car transported from the location in the US to calgary. Is there any companies people have used or if they know of where to check. I did a search on the net but there is just so many trucking outfits and I do not know which one to pick.

Let me know if you think of anything.

Thanks for the help.

joegrang
08-12-2004, 02:22 PM
i think I sent mine by millenium transport.. it was ok there is also the option of putting ur car up by rail which is a much nicer ride and cost maybe another 600-1000 more... also if it is from ohio have u thought of taking a few weeks off and just doing a nice easy road trip?

AllGoNoShow
08-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I'd vote for a road trip man, I mean, new car, new scenery, no rush, it would be awsome, take afew buddies down too :P

boostfed
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Make sure the titled is signed over to you, that's a biggie. You'll need to get it notarized at a bank or the courthouse or something. Bill of sale and title must be in the glovebox or somewhere in the car. Be warned you cannot drive an Eclipse GST into Canada because it needs to be inspected and insured first, so you have to have it trailored up, you can't tow it on a dolly either. You're going to need to pay GST, brokerage fees, and duty on the car when it crosses the border. I used Convertible Carriers, LTD, out of Airdrie. It was approx. 2000 dollars all said and done to transport the car in from Idaho for me. Easiest way to get it all sorted out is to drive down and look at the car, get all the paperwork and title settled out with the seller, then drive back home and have the carrier deliver it.

Phuqu
08-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Make sure you fax the title to the crossing your going to bring it to at least 3 days ahead of time.

They have to make sure it isn't stolen or liens, etc.. on it.

If you have any question PM me. I've imported a few across and there are a few loopholes depending on the vehicle and situation.

But do realize that you can't get out of all charges, fees, etc... Just some. Sometimes. :)