PDA

View Full Version : Those who work in the movie industry here is my rant

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2004, 12:15 PM
I dont go to movies very often, maybe about once every 3 months. Anyways last night I went and saw Bourne Supremecy which was a great movie. I paid the 11 or 12 dollars to get in but prior to the showing of the movie I was forced to watch 35 minutes worth of commercials and previews! If im paying to see a movie then why are there commercials! I dont mind watching previews either but back in the day they used to show 4 or maybe 5 at the most. Now its gotten to the point where they are showing 7- 9 previews. It just never seems to end and im sure it will only get worse with time. Whats funny to are those little dramatic commercials that are trying to prevent film piracy. They ask you to show compassion towards those in the industry after youve just sat through 30 minutes worth of commercials that youre paying to see:thumbsdow

EK 2.0
08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
awwwww...sounds like someone peed in your popcorn Redlyne...

But I do agree with all those ads...I dont mind the lil trivia tidbits when waiting for the flick to start...but man then its time, show 3-4 coming attractions and git on wit da show...

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
awwwww...sounds like someone peed in your popcorn Redlyne...

But I do agree with all those ads...I dont mind the lil trivia tidbits when waiting for the flick to start...but man then its time, show 3-4 coming attractions and git on wit da show...
Its horrible man, they showed an acura rsx commercial twice, some makeup commercial, a matrix commercial, a gap commercial, a cologne commercial and a few others i cant remember

QuasarCav
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
I saw the "civic nation" commercial 13 times while waiting for LOTR3 to start.

I think it may have something to due with recently lowered admission prices. 13.95 to 11.00.

They should have two movie times on the ticket: One for when the previews and dont steal movies commercials and one for when the movie actually starts.

Ichigo
08-11-2004, 01:01 PM
I go there for the trailers.... Movies suck...

accordboi_02
08-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Its horrible man, they showed an acura rsx commercial twice, some makeup commercial, a matrix commercial, a gap commercial, a cologne commercial and a few others i cant remember

Obviously the advertising is working however... how many other people than yourself do you think remember which specific ads there were??? Because it's working, there's no way it's going to stop anytime soon unfortunately. :thumbsdow

MattyMatt
08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
I love watching previews!!!

Kobe
08-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Used to work for famous players, the previews are suppose to be 10-15 minutes, if you dont want to watch the previews go to customer service and ask when they end, and then enter then..

izzoblitzo
08-11-2004, 01:44 PM
for the $11bux, I think that all goes or at least most of it goes towards the film itself.. most theatres make their money to pay the bills and wages through concession, and advertising... In westhills, they cleverly disguised polo sport advertising banners to look like some of the comming attractions banners on the wall! those mazda/toyota/telus/cocacola commercials they play before each movie goes towards the theatre too Im sure... I dont think theatres share their revenues with films..

bigboom
08-11-2004, 01:50 PM
stand up in front of the screen and ask when the movie is going to start...then all you have to do is watch out for the ushers that carry big kit kat bars :)

Kamen
08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't know where you went, but 30 mins is DAMN LONG for trailers and such.
And if you go early of course you will see commercials and ads and trivia...

ZorroAMG
08-11-2004, 02:43 PM
As we all know, prices are rising for all consumer goods, materials, wages, etc. In order to pay for movies being made, advertising to increase box office sales has to increase. That's why there are more previews. As for the commercials, would you rather be charged 18$ for a movie Redlyne? Doubtful, that is how the theaters keep their prices lower, it's not like they are charging more for concessions(could they even?? LOL) or are paying employees less, so they have to make money somewhere...

What they should do is post 2 times: one for the beginning including previews and one for when the feature starts...good luck finding good seats though :)

MattyMatt
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Last time I went I got New York Fries, a hotdog, and drink for $12!!!!!!!!!

max_boost
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't mind the previews too much. As for the commercials, thats what happens when you want a good seat and you go in early:D

I must be cheap but I rarely buy anything to drink or eat at the movies. It's just wayyy too overpriced for me.

Anyway, I like how it's 10.95 everyday, cool!

EDM
08-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Its actually about 15 mins of commercials and previews not 35 minutes. I dont know where you see movies but usually its 3 or 4 trailer previews before the movie starts.

but yeah, commercials suck, especially if you get there 30 minutes early and see all of the commercials 2 or 3 times.

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by EDM
Its actually about 15 mins of commercials and previews not 35 minutes. I dont know where you see movies but usually its 3 or 4 trailer previews before the movie starts.

but yeah, commercials suck, especially if you get there 30 minutes early and see all of the commercials 2 or 3 times.
No man it was 35 minutes. I was so pissed off that I was counting lol. This was at famous players westhills. There is no way the theaters are loosing any money. They keep getting bigger and more elaborate

pho
08-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Actually I don't mind watching the coming attractions/previews. It's good to see what new movies will be coming out soon and that certainly make you all excited. Commercials on the other hand is what I don't like. Especially the drink Alive and Toyota commercials which takes so freaken long. Sometimes these commercials will repeat itself and you're like shaking your head.

voidX
08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
i always arrive at the movie about 15 minutes after the starting time to miss all that shit

Seanith
08-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by EDM

whens the last time you've went to see a movie? they have basically doubled the time of the previews. It used to be ok, but now its just rediculous. They should just play them all before the movie starts.

Khyron
08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Yep - I saw Collateral at Westhills and while it wasn't 30 mins, I even commented to my wife about the unusual number of previews. I love previews so I just have to talk through the commercials.

Khyron

benyl
08-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

There is no way the theaters are loosing any money. They keep getting bigger and more elaborate

Acutally, that is because of consumer demand. Theaters do no pay for movie advertising of theater listings in newspapers anymore. The cost was too high. These new megaplexes don't actually make money unless they are full. I guess people just don't like going to small theaters.

I have been in some movies a couple weeks after coming out and it was just me, the gf and two other couples... can't tell me they are making money on that.

Those piracy ads, those are out now because of the net. The gf came back from Korea with Spiderman 2, Troy and a few others on DVD. No where near the qualit of a real DVD (Basically someone went into a theater in Korea with their camcorder and taped the movie!).

So I have seen Spiderman 2, without paying the 11 bucks. And I am not the only one who has done that. I think soon, movie stars aren't going to be paid $20 million cause people will just wait for the pirated version.

JustinL
08-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Those piracy ads, those are out now because of the net. The gf came back from Korea with Spiderman 2, Troy and a few others on DVD. No where near the qualit of a real DVD (Basically someone went into a theater in Korea with their camcorder and taped the movie!).

So I have seen Spiderman 2, without paying the 11 bucks. And I am not the only one who has done that. I think soon, movie stars aren't going to be paid $20 million cause people will just wait for the pirated version.

Fair enough, but these are ads in the theaters where people just paid through the nose to see a movie, not to be berated by some poor bastard that is getting screwed by the production company. Those movie workers need a better union if their wages get dropped every time someone pirates a movie while the big wigs are still making insane ammounts of money.

I maintain the same theory that I had with MP3s. Piracy is not going away, so the companies have to figure out a way to make money with it instead of fighting it head on.

Fluidic
08-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
... if you dont want to watch the previews go to customer service and ask when they end, and then enter then..

That'll be good. :rolleyes:

Especially on an opening night or something -- shitty seats and it's hard to find you're friends in the dark. Good one. :)

I'll live through the previews -- there long -- but whatever.

kenny
08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by benyl

My #1 question is, why don't they put those ads on broadcast TV? Obviously the audience they are playing that anti piracy crap to are the ones PAYING to see the movie. They should put that commercial on during the superbowl if they want the message to get somewhere.