PDA

View Full Version : Using cell phones at gas stations.

BebeAphrodite
08-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Is there a policy against it at gas stations?

1badPT
08-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Most stations have signs suggesting that you don't do but to my knowledge there's no law against it. Its just like smoking though, not a good idea at a gas station. Any electronic device is capable of a spark, and sparks and gasoline fumes are not a good combo outside of an engine ;)

I'll usually keep mine on in the car, but talking while filling up might be setting yourself up for a bad situation.

Gonthro
08-11-2004, 01:20 PM
yes, all gas stations have signs up sayign not to use them, electrinics create sparks, sparks + gas vapours = :dunno: :nut:

1badPT
08-11-2004, 01:22 PM
PS now I know who the bored office workers are of beyond ;)

ryder_23
08-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Where i work, if your using a cell phone and pumping gas, we stop the pump, until you get off the phone. Like everyone says its a safety policy, but in by the company, to save our ass's if something goes wrong.

RiCE-DaDDy
08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
its complete utter bs. a myth nothing more

Gonthro
08-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
its complete utter bs. a myth nothing more

lets stand this guy in a puddle of gas, while pouring gas on the ground and give him a fritzing out cellphone :D and watch the fun :burnout:

roopi
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

GTS Jeff
08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
im guessing its no worse than leaving your car running while gassing up. everyone thinks its bad, but it really isnt.

xkon
08-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
im guessing its no worse than leaving your car running while gassing up. everyone thinks its bad, but it really isnt.

:werd: urban legend...

Gonthro
08-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

what if a wire grounds out while you're filling??

like say thw wire for your tail lights, or your fuel pump, soemthing near the fuel filler??

1badPT
08-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't say I think the risk is big, but how important is it to talk while you're gassing up? Conceivably a cell phone with a loose battery connection could arc and if it happens to do that just as gas vapour is around the phone it could set something off.

I mean gas companies and cell phone companies both agree the risk is there whether or not there has been any confirmed incidences...

Certainly not something to stay awake at night worried about, but why uhhhh play with fire? :tongue:

Its like cell phone usage on a plane - they say planes have crashed because of it, and although I'm not convinced that is the case, I keep my phone off on the plane.

Stratus_Power
08-11-2004, 02:29 PM
its not save to use ell phone while gassing up.
you know those LED cell phone case you can buy, when you recieve a call or making a call, the LED on the Case will start flashing?? same idea, when you are talking on the phone while gassing up, the same "power" that light those LED might ignite a spark...

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
More people have won a big lottery than those who ignited themselves while filling at a gas station.

I'd be more worried about getting into an accident while using a cell phone and driving.

sexualbanana
08-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I wouldn't say I think the risk is big, but how important is it to talk while you're gassing up? Conceivably a cell phone with a loose battery connection could arc and if it happens to do that just as gas vapour is around the phone it could set something off.

I mean gas companies and cell phone companies both agree the risk is there whether or not there has been any confirmed incidences...

Certainly not something to stay awake at night worried about, but why uhhhh play with fire? :tongue:

Its like cell phone usage on a plane - they say planes have crashed because of it, and although I'm not convinced that is the case, I keep my phone off on the plane.

Exactly. I'm sure it's not exactly a common occurrence. But really, why take the chance? The result isn't something small. If there is a "spark" or whatever, what could conceivably happen? Gas station blows up. Shit loads of $$ is lost.

Hardy_Boy
08-11-2004, 03:14 PM
i watched a show and they put a cell phone in a room and filled the room with gas vapours nothing happened so i always thought it was a myth.

my question is what if ur pumping dieseil (sp) do u still have to worry about this problem? :dunno:

pho
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
I was in Mexico last summer on my honeymoon and all of the Mexicans who filled up gas had their cars still running. I was like WTF are they insane? My wife and I were in a tour bus and we were parked next to them. I was nervous and scared to tell you the truth. I guess Mexico is somewhat corrupted or do they even care less about safety hazzards at gas stations. Please feel free to comment.

1badPT
08-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Diesel vapour has an extremely high flash temperature - I doubt sparking it directly would set it off, let alone any tiny spark that a cell phone could produce.

A normally operating cell phone wouldn't spark so it shouldn't come as no surprise that a cell phone in a room full of gas vapour wouldn't set it off. What if it has a loose battery connection or a break in the circuit board where electricity is actually jumping a gap? I wouldn't want to be near the room where that experiment is taking place :nut:

freakin
08-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Watch the video in this thread. This was likely a static issue, but without seeing this I would've said it was an urban legend. The potential is there with a cell phone, so why chance it?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=44517&highlight=gas+fire

max_boost
08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Haven't you guys watched Zulander?:rofl: :clap:

freakin
08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
^^^ "Anyone can die in a freak gasoline fight accident."

Ajay
08-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I've been talking on my cell phone while on my way to fill up and once I get to the gas station I continue talking on my cell whilst filling up....I haven't been lit on fire or spontaneously combusted.

It's all a myth....haven't you people seen Mythbusters?! They did an experiment where they built a booth and let gas vapour escape into the booth. They taped a cell phone inside the booth and allowed the booth to completely fill with gas vapour. They called the phone after it was filled with the vapour and surprise surprise......nothing blew up.

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
More people have won a big lottery than those who ignited themselves while filling at a gas station.

I'd be more worried about getting into an accident while using a cell phone and driving.
:werd: People are getting way way too paranoid. The same goes for using your cell on a plane. There is no chance a gsm signal would ever affect the signals that the pilots are receiving

hjr
08-11-2004, 04:19 PM
cell phone exploding gas - myth
running car exploding a station - somewhat possible, but so very very unlikely. The only real sparks your car gives off "should" be in the cylinder.

Khyron
08-11-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't go out of my way to talk on the phone while gassing, but I won't hang up for it. I'm confortable enough with physics to know there is 0 chance of my cell causing a fire (or at least smaller than me getting struck by a meteor). The Safeway I gas up has no signs against it either.

Khyron

BebeAphrodite
08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
The reason why I asked was because my gf that I never ever talk to called me rite as I pulled up to the gas station and I picked up the phone. I started filling my gas thinking nothing of it. Then this bitch standing next to be rudely says I'm not supposed to talk on the phone in a snappy tone with attitude.

So being told so rudely I said "okay" and continued talking. Then she said I could blow up. I said "okay again". I had heard about the sparks and the combustion but the cases were so few and so rare that I didn't think it was anything. It's similar to those warnings not to get in and out of your car while filling but tons of people do that!!!

Anyways, I ignored her and she ran into the store and ratted me out, the attendant came running out to tell me to get off the phone (quite rudely still) - so in the manner that I was addressed I got pissed off and stayed on the phone. He cut off my gas. I shrugged and just drove off (I had prepaid with a CC). Not that I cared because I dont like Husky anyways and was filling because I was low on gas.

I never saw any signs... I saw the news report on it and I don't think it's that big of a deal since nearly anything can kill us. Radiation from microwaves/x-rays.. and the list goes on and on and on.

D'z Nutz
08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
It's all a myth....haven't you people seen Mythbusters?! They did an experiment where they built a booth and let gas vapour escape into the booth. They taped a cell phone inside the booth and allowed the booth to completely fill with gas vapour. They called the phone after it was filled with the vapour and surprise surprise......nothing blew up.

Hahaha! Mythbusters rocks! :clap: Some funny ones they did were peeing on electric fences and getting breast implants to explode in pressurized chambers (both of which were disproven).

iceburns288
08-11-2004, 11:41 PM
I got pissed off and stayed on the phone. He cut off my gas. I shrugged and just drove off. [/B]

You go girl!:D

I would hate for someone to do something like that to me...

I had something to say and I forgot it...:cry: :nut:

Here's part of it... a lady's hair caught on fire after a haircut because a bunch of electricity built up in it... werd, eh?

ZMan2k2
08-12-2004, 08:51 AM
It may not happen often, but it does happen. (http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00163.wmv)

GTS Jeff
08-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

what if a wire grounds out while you're filling??

like say thw wire for your tail lights, or your fuel pump, soemthing near the fuel filler??

Originally posted by pho
I was in Mexico last summer on my honeymoon and all of the Mexicans who filled up gas had their cars still running. I was like WTF are they insane? My wife and I were in a tour bus and we were parked next to them. I was nervous and scared to tell you the truth. I guess Mexico is somewhat corrupted or do they even care less about safety hazzards at gas stations. Please feel free to comment.

turning off your car to fill up is mostly a western thing. if u guys ever get the chance, go check out a gas station when ure travelling. nobody bothers to shut off their cars. its just not an issue.

403Gemini
08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by freakin
Watch the video in this thread. This was likely a static issue, but without seeing this I would've said it was an urban legend. The potential is there with a cell phone, so why chance it?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=44517&highlight=gas+fire

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
It may not happen often, but it does happen. (http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00163.wmv)

yes but in this video its CLEARLY not a cell phone, this is the #1 cause of deaths and its 90% by women. what happens is when they get back into the car they get electrically charged with static (generally grabbing their purse to get the money to pay) and when they touch the handle they create a spark, thus the fire.

as for cell phones? i believe there is a risk, but i probably stand a greater risk catching west nile

Def_3
08-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Debunking the cell phone myth: gas station safety

Recently there was a media report in the St. John's Telegram indicating that cellphones were unsafe to use around gas pumps. Click here to read the response by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) president, Peter Barnes which corrects the report's inaccuracies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debunking the cellphone myth
The Telegram (St. John's)
Sun 23 May 2004
I write regarding the article "Static spark, cellphone ring may ignite fumes," which appeared on page A5 of The Telegram May 19. The article contained a number of inaccuracies which I believe it is important to correct in the interest of reader information and public safety. The supposed warning from Shell Oil Co. about cellphones causing fires at gas stations is not based on fact.

Following is a statement of denial issued by Shell concerning the false message which is circulating on the Internet:"We understand that there is an e-mail, purportedly official Shell communication, circulating which describes various incidents that are supposed to have occurred as a result of mobile phones ringing while at a retail station. Please be advised that the e-mail in question does NOT originate from Shell Malaysia and we are unable to confirm any of the incidents quoted."

Furthermore, the article refers readers to the website of the Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) for more information about this issue. In fact, that website states: "PEI has not been able to document any cases of cellular phones causing a fire at a gas station. However, we do not recommend using any device that might cause distractions while refuelling. Our refuelling fire report has nothing to do with cellphones whatsoever, but we have posted links to information regarding this urban legend under Related Info."

The Center for the Study of Wireless Electromagnetic Compatibility (Wireless EMC Center) at the University of Oklahoma recently concluded a study on the use of cellphones at gas stations.

The centre's findings state: "Research into the cellphone/gas station issue provided virtually no evidence to suggest that cellphones pose a hazard at gas stations. In fact, there has never been a confirmed incident implicating a cellphone at a gas station anywhere in the world. While it may be theoretically possible for a spark from a cellphone battery to ignite gas vapour under very precise conditions, the historical evidence does not support the need for further research. Until there is evidence to the contrary, we suggest that no further action be initiated in this regard, and that no recommendations for further action are required of the wireless phone or petroleum industries."

Thank you for this opportunity to educate your readers about the facts of this issue.

Peter Barnes
President and Chief Executive Officer
Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, Ottawa

For further information on this subject, visit the following websites:

CWTA Fact Sheet - Use of Wireless Phones at Gas Stations
Shell Oil Company
Petroleum Equipment Institute
Wireless EMC Center

Gonthro
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
i just dont understand why you would take the risk of using any electronic device near the nozzle of the filler, i donno about you but i dont want to be the "first reported case"

people survived back in the day when there were no ce;ll phones, im sure you'll survive the 2 minutes it takes to gas up without using yer cell phone.

Def_3
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
i just dont understand why you would take the risk of using any electronic device near the nozzle of the filler, i donno about you but i dont want to be the "first reported case"

people survived back in the day when there were no ce;ll phones, im sure you'll survive the 2 minutes it takes to gas up without using yer cell phone.

Thats completely true too, but I'm not big on "urban" myths

Hardy_Boy
08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
yes but in this video its CLEARLY not a cell phone, this is the #1 cause of deaths and its 90% by women. what happens is when they get back into the car they get electrically charged with static (generally grabbing their purse to get the money to pay) and when they touch the handle they create a spark, thus the fire.

as for cell phones? i believe there is a risk, but i probably stand a greater risk catching west nile

:werd:

lam-boy
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by pho

jeff is right, its like that in a lot of places.
when I was in Thailand and Vietnam last winter, they filled up gas without even turning off their cars. I was scared but then nothing happened so I just went with the flow after a while because no body turned off their cars.

Khyron
08-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Right, and suppose tomorrow someone said "Hey - digital watches can cause fires while gassing up OMG!!!". Would you start taking your watch off just because it might happen? In that video above the girl was wearing shoes - maybe they caused the fire - you should remove your shoes before you gas up now? At some point it becomes absurd. Smoking while gassing up IS not as dangerous as you think but the risk is not insignificant so not smoking while gassing up is wise. Cellphone use causing fires is on the other line of being absurd.

Khyron

BebeAphrodite
08-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Def_3
Debunking the cell phone myth: gas station safety

Recently there was a media report in the St. John's Telegram indicating that cellphones were unsafe to use around gas pumps. Click here to read the response by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) president, Peter Barnes which corrects the report's inaccuracies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debunking the cellphone myth
The Telegram (St. John's)
Sun 23 May 2004
I write regarding the article "Static spark, cellphone ring may ignite fumes," which appeared on page A5 of The Telegram May 19. The article contained a number of inaccuracies which I believe it is important to correct in the interest of reader information and public safety. The supposed warning from Shell Oil Co. about cellphones causing fires at gas stations is not based on fact.

Following is a statement of denial issued by Shell concerning the false message which is circulating on the Internet:"We understand that there is an e-mail, purportedly official Shell communication, circulating which describes various incidents that are supposed to have occurred as a result of mobile phones ringing while at a retail station. Please be advised that the e-mail in question does NOT originate from Shell Malaysia and we are unable to confirm any of the incidents quoted."

Furthermore, the article refers readers to the website of the Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) for more information about this issue. In fact, that website states: "PEI has not been able to document any cases of cellular phones causing a fire at a gas station. However, we do not recommend using any device that might cause distractions while refuelling. Our refuelling fire report has nothing to do with cellphones whatsoever, but we have posted links to information regarding this urban legend under Related Info."

The Center for the Study of Wireless Electromagnetic Compatibility (Wireless EMC Center) at the University of Oklahoma recently concluded a study on the use of cellphones at gas stations.

The centre's findings state: "Research into the cellphone/gas station issue provided virtually no evidence to suggest that cellphones pose a hazard at gas stations. In fact, there has never been a confirmed incident implicating a cellphone at a gas station anywhere in the world. While it may be theoretically possible for a spark from a cellphone battery to ignite gas vapour under very precise conditions, the historical evidence does not support the need for further research. Until there is evidence to the contrary, we suggest that no further action be initiated in this regard, and that no recommendations for further action are required of the wireless phone or petroleum industries."

Thank you for this opportunity to educate your readers about the facts of this issue.

Peter Barnes
President and Chief Executive Officer
Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, Ottawa

For further information on this subject, visit the following websites:

CWTA Fact Sheet - Use of Wireless Phones at Gas Stations
Shell Oil Company
Petroleum Equipment Institute
Wireless EMC Center

Hey def, what's the source of this article?
I don't doubt you because I for on don't believe this cell phone blowing up crap because if I listened to all those beliefs I'd be dead from not following them. Just want to know where it came from and if it's credible.
Basically every site that I went to that said cell phone usage while pumping gas was uncredible.
If you know what I mean.. like those sites that people set up themselves as warnings. (sorta like when you research for school not to trust geocities sites, etc).

HighVelocity
08-13-2004, 10:39 AM
I don't think that cell phones could really start a fire at a gas station... but I did want to mention that cars really shouldn't be left running while you're filling. Yes, the chances of igniting the fuel is low... but that's only if people are filling properly. If someone slops fuel all over, or someone spills a jerry can on the ground... THAT's when the chance of a fire comes into play.

We just had a safety orientation on gas plants by a guy who sustained 3rd degree burns to most of his body (he's horribly scarred now... and most of his face is plastic... yuck). He screwed up some procedure and ended up releasing a lot of fuel from a pipeline. It was high octane fuel too... and the vapours began to spread. He got back to his truck... which he left running (against corporate procedure) and boom. Huge fireball... burned up a good chunk of machinery too.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that causes the ignition because your sparkplugs should be sealed off from the outside. But there are other potential flash sources. Moving parts can generate static. Catalytic converters are hot... perhaps hot enough to set off vaporized fuel? The electrical systems on vehicles aren't sealed. I don't know... but I wouldn't take the chance. Not after his story and some of the footage they showed us.

GTS Jeff
08-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by HighVelocity
I don't think that cell phones could really start a fire at a gas station... but I did want to mention that cars really shouldn't be left running while you're filling. Yes, the chances of igniting the fuel is low... but that's only if people are filling properly. If someone slops fuel all over, or someone spills a jerry can on the ground... THAT's when the chance of a fire comes into play.

We just had a safety orientation on gas plants by a guy who sustained 3rd degree burns to most of his body (he's horribly scarred now... and most of his face is plastic... yuck). He screwed up some procedure and ended up releasing a lot of fuel from a pipeline. It was high octane fuel too... and the vapours began to spread. He got back to his truck... which he left running (against corporate procedure) and boom. Huge fireball... burned up a good chunk of machinery too.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that causes the ignition because your sparkplugs should be sealed off from the outside. But there are other potential flash sources. Moving parts can generate static. Catalytic converters are hot... perhaps hot enough to set off vaporized fuel? The electrical systems on vehicles aren't sealed. I don't know... but I wouldn't take the chance. Not after his story and some of the footage they showed us. by your logic, we should be turning our cars off beforehand and rolling them into the gas station, then rolling them back out before starting them :rolleyes:

who here does that? no one? did u ever think that your car was ON when u rolled in and out?

HighVelocity
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Sorry if my logic came across like that...

I guess I didn't have it come across right, but the point I was trying to make was that a car CAN be a source to ignite fuel vapour. The key word there is vapour. We all know how fast vapour bleeds off into the surroundings, so normally it wouldn't present a problem. Slosh the stuff all over the place and start your car... I guess that's a different story.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they can and can't do... I'm just saying that a car can ignite fuel vapour under the right circumstances (namely the presence of a LOT of vapour).

That said... it probably is still a good idea to turn off your ignition while you fill :).

(as for cell phones... who the heck knows... just don't be using any cordless drills around the gas station :nut: )