PDA

View Full Version : So who's buying a new SLK?

Shizuku
08-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Heard there is a big waiting list for them. Just wondring if anyone here has one on order already?

max_boost
08-11-2004, 10:35 PM
How long is the wait list? Way too many nice cars on the market to consider. What about MSRP? Haven't bothered contacting any of the dealerships yet.......I'm always in the market for a new car, pending I sell my old ones;)

Skylinelover
08-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Ones.. how many is ones?

C4S
08-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Even the new SLK look damn nice in and out, and the 7 speed auto is the best automatic so far ...

still .. I won't consider one unless they offer a good manual gearbox... just personal taste.. :D
( I dont mind to drive a big 4 dr luxury sedan or SUV with auto ..but not a 2 drs sporty car. )

:)

Kid_a
08-11-2004, 11:05 PM
I have 17 on reserve..

Kamen
08-11-2004, 11:34 PM
You mean the diecast ones? heh

t-im
08-12-2004, 12:00 AM
I'll wait 2 yrs and then look into it

Xtrema
08-12-2004, 08:29 AM
I also heard there's a long list for one. I know a lady who put down $1000 deposit to get on the list.

I think NA is only getting 350 for now and AMG in another year. I like all the pics but still would like to see one in person before deciding. I not too sure about the tail end and build quality.

sml
08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
I saw one in person when I was in Germany. Pretty sweet! :rool:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51869

ICEBERG
08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
I have not had time to check them out yet. I would not buy them the first year they come out. I might be interested next year though. I am not keeping the c230, soon as i sell it i'll look into one. They look really sharp.:thumbsup:

Stratus_Power
08-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I AM!! as soon as i get my hands on the 649 jackpot that is.. saw it in HK, really really want one..

ICEBERG
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I hope wife will let me get one.:D

max_boost
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
When's the official launch? We should have a mini meet since there are quite a few SLK lovers on this site:D Possible Group Buy? haha

As for the long waiting list, this is just for Calgary I imagine. I'm sure there won't be a long wait if you ordered from Vancouver or Toronto?:dunno:

t-im
08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
When's the official launch? We should have a mini meet since there are quite a few SLK lovers on this site:D Possible Group Buy? haha

As for the long waiting list, this is just for Calgary I imagine. I'm sure there won't be a long wait if you ordered from Vancouver or Toronto?:dunno:

it'll be longer..or equally as long...

bentleyfan
08-23-2004, 12:33 PM
:clap:
I just ordered one today. SLK55. I don't know yet how long the Atlanta waiting list is, but will know in a couple of days. Supposedly the first models arrive in two weeks.

Hakkola
08-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by C4S
.. I won't consider one unless they offer a good manual gearbox...
:)

I think they're offering it with a 6-speed manual now, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

bentleyfan
08-24-2004, 07:18 AM
I was not offered a manual option. I am #7 in line at my dealership - sounds like 8 weeks if I'm flexible on color.:clap:

/////AMG
08-24-2004, 10:23 AM
They are offering 6-speed manual. I don't know about the 55, but I heard the 350 will get it for sure. :dunno:

Ben
08-24-2004, 12:12 PM
still not liking that front end....I dunno, I thought it would grow on me...turns out to me it looks like the hood grew some sort of growth that needs to be sheared off by a surgeon.:barf:

rage2
08-24-2004, 12:19 PM
SLK350 is available in the 7 speed automatic, or 6 speed manual.
SLK55 AMG is available in the 7 speed automatic w/Speedshift only.

Expect the 2006 or 2007 SLK55 to be replaced with the new 4 valve V8, probably in the 400hp range.

Texas
08-24-2004, 01:32 PM
I hate to sound posh or arrogant.....but you really havent driven anything worthwhile until you have drive a nice benz.:D :poosie:

PH1PH1
08-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I hope wife will let me get one.:D

thatz sooo nice :hitit:

LowRiderHD2000
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
It's a cute car for a girl. :thumbsup:

Ben
08-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000

Where TF you been man?!

bentleyfan
08-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Yep. SLK350 available 6-spd manual or 7-spd auto. SLK55 only available in 7-speed automatic with steering-wheel shifters. Great wheels and AMG sport package on 55. 0-62 in +/-4.5 sec. I spoke to a salesman who had driven the 350 in California - he said it's dynamite.

NotbadSTi
08-26-2004, 10:38 AM
May take one from Dec/Jan Production, not sure 6 speed manual or the 7 speed auto, I like manual, but for resale point of view, I may stay with auto .. :)

Anyway, not confirm yet, need to see if weissach can locate a car for me sooner, and need to work out the Lease payment. May get get one for a yr, then trade the car to weissach. :)

Redlyne_mr2
08-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
:werd: It is the car for the football players wife, girlfriend, hairdresser

bentleyfan
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
362 hp, 375 lb-ft, hardly a girlie car. WTFAYTA?:guns:

finboy
08-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Where TF you been man?!

werd, i haven't seen that user name for a LONG time

bentleyfan
09-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Just saw the 350 at my dealer. It is better than expected, and has a build-quality and appointment quality that put it in the big leagues. Just waiting now for the 55 to arrive!:clap: :clap:

kenny
09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
The 350 interior is amazing compared to the old SLK and one of the coolest options is the air scarf for people who like to drive top down in less than ideal conditions--it blows warm air (or cool air in the summer) right onto your neck to keep it warm.

Seats were comfy, and interior room seems the exact same as the previous SLK.

The front end (with sports package) looks amazing in person, I've always liked it since I've seen the pictures but in person it is MUCH nicer. The rear end however looks horrible IMO, needs a tiny lip spoiler to hide the bulgi-ness :)

One thing that still surprises me is how BiXenons are still an option, that sort of stuff should be standard equipment, especially on the AMG models.

rage2
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Optioned out, it's gonna be $10k more than my SLK32's sticker. Fuck, I was hoping I'd hate it more in person, but it actually looks pretty darn good. Pictures do not do this car justice.

Kids can wait a few more years... :rofl:

JAYMEZ
09-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Hahah Rage , it looks fuckin nice! for my gf :D

E36M3
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
How so? I can think of five or six brands that generally are better.. BMW, Ferrari, Bentley, etc.. even Audi is a lot better in many ways (interior quality being one of them)

I think that in the old man cruiser market the Lexus cars are much better.. smoother ride, higher quality, etc. but they haven't been able to touch them in acceleration yet.

The new Acura TL has a much nicer interior than most Benzes (including the S Class) in my opinion. I haven't driven it yet, but I bet its smooth as silk.

Originally posted by Texas
I hate to sound posh or arrogant.....but you really havent driven anything worthwhile until you have drive a nice benz.:D :poosie:

BumpinTalon
09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
How so? I can think of five or six brands that generally are better.. BMW, Ferrari, Bentley, etc.. even Audi is a lot better in many ways (interior quality being one of them)

I think that in the old man cruiser market the Lexus cars are much better.. smoother ride, higher quality, etc. but they haven't been able to touch them in acceleration yet.

The new Acura TL has a much nicer interior than most Benzes (including the S Class) in my opinion. I haven't driven it yet, but I bet its smooth as silk.

sure yeah whatever... BMW does not make a car that lines up straight across from the new SLK, Ferrari costs far more, Bentley also, Audi also doesn't make a car quite like this and their styling is much more reserved...

E36M3
09-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I would say that the BMW Z4 is a direct competitor of the SLK.. are you insane?

He didn't specify that you would have to drive a new SLK, as very few people probably have, he said Mercedes, which is what I was responding to.

Audi/Ferrari/Bentley might not have direct competitors, but they certainly do with other Mercedes lines which make it appropriate to draw comparisons of one brand vs. another as it also does with BMW.

Originally posted by BumpinTalon

sure yeah whatever... BMW does not make a car that lines up straight across from the new SLK, Ferrari costs far more, Bentley also, Audi also doesn't make a car quite like this and their styling is much more reserved...

C4S
09-30-2004, 03:34 PM
I would say that the BMW Z4 is a direct competitor of the SLK.. are you insane?

He didn't specify that you would have to drive a new SLK, as very few people probably have, he said Mercedes, which is what I was responding to.

Audi/Ferrari/Bentley might not have direct competitors, but they certainly do with other Mercedes lines which make it appropriate to draw comparisons of one brand vs. another as it also does with BMW.

Agree .. will be nice to see the new 3.0L engine from BMW, that Push 260HP .. that will make the Z4 performance more compete with New Boxster S, SLK 350 .. :)

I don't think SLK buyers will compare a SLK to a Boxster/Z4, nor the other way .. new SLK looks very nice, I like it way more then the older SLK, however, I still rather take a new Boxster .. if spending $70k on a roadster .. :D

E36M3
09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
It would be a tough call.. I really like the driving experience of a boxster, but I can't get over the looks of it.

I think I'd prefer a Z4 or SLK to a Boxster.. the SLK would win hands down in Calgary if I were choosing between them because of how flexible it is for winter.

Originally posted by C4S

Agree .. will be nice to see the new 3.0L engine from BMW, that Push 260HP .. that will make the Z4 performance more compete with New Boxster S, SLK 350 .. :)

I don't think SLK buyers will compare a SLK to a Boxster/Z4, nor the other way .. new SLK looks very nice, I like it way more then the older SLK, however, I still rather take a new Boxster .. if spending $70k on a roadster .. :D

C4S
09-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I think I'd prefer a Z4 or SLK to a Boxster.. the SLK would win hands down in Calgary if I were choosing between them because of how flexible it is for winter.

Me too .. for a 04 Boxster, however, I really love the new look for the new 04/05 Boxster .. the old boxster ... well, not a bad car, but .. nothing special .. :(

max_boost
09-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by kenny
One thing that still surprises me is how BiXenons are still an option, that sort of stuff should be standard equipment, especially on the AMG models.
Agreed! The car is already so well equipped and you have to pay for something that should be standard? :rofl:

Originally posted by rage2
Optioned out, it's gonna be $10k more than my SLK32's sticker. Fuck, I was hoping I'd hate it more in person, but it actually looks pretty darn good. Pictures do not do this car justice.

When do they arrive in the showroom? AMG version is soooooo pimp
:bigpimp: :drool:I need to talk to my accountant first. :rofl:

Rage, what color you getting?!
If it's a long wait, wouldn't hurt to have a deposit down.

fast95pony
10-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by kenny
....and one of the coolest options is the air scarf for people who like to drive top down in less than ideal conditions--it blows warm air (or cool air in the summer) right onto your neck to keep it warm.

Seats were comfy, and interior room seems the exact same as the previous SLK.

Thankyou , Martha Stewart !

Sounds like a gurly car to me....

:rofl:

rage2
10-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

[email protected]? You mean a girly car can beat your car? :rofl:

statick
10-01-2004, 06:32 PM
OWNED:rofl:
sounds like a pretty good car to me, rear end isnt too much to my liking tho.

fast95pony
10-01-2004, 08:42 PM
I guess I need to update that. The Stang's making about 50 more ponies now.

;)

Redlyne_mr2
10-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

:rofl: haha
I guess it comes down to brand preference in this case. As mentioned that slk doesnt have the "roadster" feel like the z4 or the boxster however it is an incredibly nice ride and reminds me of driving an sc without all the extra weight. Its funny though, the slk was always on its own in the market. You can underestimate the Audi rT right now but lookout for the new one coming. Alot more horspower, totally new design adn the body will be made entirely out of aluminum:thumbsup:

rage2
10-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
:rofl: haha
I guess it comes down to brand preference in this case. As mentioned that slk doesnt have the "roadster" feel like the z4 or the boxster however it is an incredibly nice ride and reminds me of driving an sc without all the extra weight. Its funny though, the slk was always on its own in the market. You can underestimate the Audi rT right now but lookout for the new one coming. Alot more horspower, totally new design adn the body will be made entirely out of aluminum:thumbsup:
haha, right :rolleyes:.

The SLK was on it's own in the market because it was a benz, and benz's are not perceived to be sporty. I proved that wrong last year at AutoX and on lapping days.

Now, if only someone would take the Z4's back end and throw it on the new SLK's... then I'll be really happy haha.