PDA

View Full Version : Build Quality

Pages : [1] 2

Weapon_R
11-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Okay, aside from ALL BIAS that you may have, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on build quality of these two manufacturers.

I've had my Integra for over 2 years now, and knock on wood, im thoroughly amazed at the way it's held up. It's given me rarely no problems during this time and i haven't had any parts replaced as of yet.

Which brings me to my question. There are people that swear by Volkswagon as great cars, but i've never really known anyone that had one. I thought it would be interesting to see which manufacturer is generally rated as having a better quality vehicle. Throw out your bias, and nothing to do with styling is important. Just quality.

WHICH CAR MANUFACTURER BUILDS THE BEST QUALITY CAR OUT OF THE TWO LISTED?

Ben
11-07-2002, 12:52 PM
I think fit and finish, VW probably has an edge, same build as the audis...although the ludes are put together quite well, and even use the same rubber dash material that VW does which are alot safer than the moulded plastic...

its very close though...now if it was honda/vw Vs Domestics...well then...

Hollywood
11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
VW's Mexico made:barf: ...nuff said.

D'z Nutz
11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
What would you define as "build quality"? Performance and reliability? The over all appearance of finished product? Or even how well it would stand up, to say, like an accident structurally? Build quality can mean different things to different people.

Ferio_vti
11-07-2002, 01:44 PM
I think it depend. Like mentioned above, Mexico?? Some Hondas all really well made, especially straight out of Japan. Like wise for VW from German. But on the otherhand, some of their cars from cheaper plants, tend to be less than par.
So, to ask that question is being to vague.

legendboy
11-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Honda. half of vw's stuff is made in mexico :rofl:

max_boost
11-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Definitely Honda although VW is making their case:)

Ben
11-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Honda. half of vw's stuff is made in mexico :rofl:

what basis of agrument is that? Its build quality, not where its made...

I think we should get a new Honda and a new VW out at a meet and compare them, that way you can directly compare, instead of making assumptive statements based on uneducated opinions.

Or how bout sams Bimmer and FD's Jetta for that matter

legendboy
11-07-2002, 02:25 PM
You forget I sold new Acura's! I've done my homework.

I think VW is a nice car with a good fit and finish but when you buy a new jetta and there is a fuckin burrito stuck in the dash and your car smells like tequila what are you gonna think!!!

j/k:rofl: . I'm partial to honda products. ;)

VTEXTC
11-07-2002, 02:26 PM
I own both, and love both, but my kudos goes to Honda for "build quality" specifically. Two other observations:

1) What is build quality? I believe that it is a very subjective term, and hence, depending on who you ask, responses will vary.

2) Nike products are made in Mexico for the most part. Do we ever contest their "build quality"?

Asif

Stratus_Power
11-07-2002, 02:30 PM
is it REALLY that important that wether the car is made in Mexico or Germany? is it the designs and the material of a car thats important. Since all the cars are bascially made by machines in an assembly line. Does the machines in japan are made in japan and the ones in Mexico are made in Mexico? I guess you can argue that the attitude of the workers controlling the machines are not as .. dedicated as Japanese... but that doesnt really affect the quality of a car as a whole.

personally i would say VW. without looking at specs and detail, it just feels more solid when you sit in it as compare to sitting in a Civic or n accord either. but this is coming from someone who only sat in a 02' Passat, 95 GTI and a 97 Jetta Trek (i think its 97..)

i was really impress with the Passat, the quality of the interior is just outstanding, it doesnt have the rubbish feel as in a civic or a lude.

legendboy
11-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
is it REALLY that important that wether the car is made in Mexico or Germany? .

100% Yes it does

Ben
11-07-2002, 02:59 PM
you have never been to the plant in mexico, it may be on Mexican soil, but its german engineering in the factory. Oh, and BTW, workiers in the mexican plant are paid 4 times more than the national wage average, so they are plenty happy to be thier.

On a side story, it was funny, they recieved a Jetta t my dads dealership, and it had a wallet of one of the builders fallen underneith the seat of the car. A visa card, drivers licence and all that neat stuff, it was kinda cool to see the face of somene who helped build that car.

legendboy
11-07-2002, 03:24 PM
if you have 2 vw's. one thats a mexican and one a german and you feel the paint there is a difference that can be felt by touch. 2nd, look at the 2 cars, you will not find ANY paint flaws on the german made and you WILL find flaws on the mexican.

Same as japanese cars being made in north america. if you take an american and japanese cars and do the same test you will have the same results.

I'm only talking from experience. The VW facts come from perry iskivitch, with whom I use to work with. (He ownes northland) (iskivitches own NW Acura, where I use to work and we were always compairing the 2 makes)

Ben
11-07-2002, 03:29 PM
you can find flaws in any car...

Ben
11-07-2002, 03:37 PM
go sit in Peters car and tell me that it has shitty build quality

legendboy
11-07-2002, 03:45 PM
haha, I'm just trying to get ya going! vw's are nice cars, jettas are :bigpimp:

Weapon_R
11-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Please try to keep the comments about each company to appropriate ones as this is going to explode into a flame war.

When I posted about quality, I meant that the persons voting take into consideration longevity and reliability. I know for a fact that VW's last a long time, but i've also seen so many Hondas with 300,000kms on them and solid as a rock.

I'm pretty impressed with my car and I think that Honda is undoubtedly one of the best vehicles you can buy. Honestly.

Since VW and Honda are naturally competitors, and offer similarily priced vehicles, the thread was started.

Personally, to comment on where specifically a car is made. While the engineering is the most important factor in building a good car, you have to remember that machines are not the sole manufacturers of vehicles. People are there. Now if you look at both Japan and Germany, you find that the employees of a firm are extremely loyal and take pride in doing a good job for their employers. In Japan, people usually work their entire life in the same business if it offers room to move up. In Mexico, people just dont care as much I think.

RiceCake
11-07-2002, 03:50 PM
I really like VW's in recent years, although I must admit I've had friends tell me about their expensive maintenance and reliability on their 92-96 jetta's. I also have friends that bag the shit out of their accords and they still seem to hold up well, versus some with minor problems.

But its really hard to say which is better because every manufacturer has their pros and cons. Just hope you don't get a lemon. :)

Ben
11-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think.

Keyword being the above, you dont know

I like hondas alot, if I didn't own a VW, I would buy a honda plain and simple, unless I could afford an Audi/BMW etc

VW has very high quality control standards no matter where they are built, as does Honda...you sure dont see many Honda or VW recalls do you?

These people in the factories are trained by the same book as in the headquarters...and saying the worker doesn't care...how is that, they have excellent jobs and pay compared to the standard currently set in Mexico...

In any case, both are very competative contestantse in quality of build...

Like my car for example...sure it looks like ass, and everyone is quick to say that, but take it for a rip...its a pretty agile and well built little car, especially for its age...and look at CRX's, alot of people swear by those as well.

Ferio_vti
11-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Benny

I lkike hondas alot, if I didn't own a VW, I would buy a honda plain and simple, unless I could afford an Audi/BMW etc

VW has very high quality control standars no matter where they ar built, as does Honda...you sure dont see many Hhonda or VW recals do you?

True enough, and if you do see any recals, its usually something minor and obsure that doesn't affect the cars safety or quality. Nothing life threatening like the accelerator gets stuck down when you floor it.

legendboy
11-07-2002, 04:36 PM

I like hondas alot....I would buy a honda plain and simple....very high quality..Honda...you sure dont see many honda...recals do you?

so what your really trying to tell us is that you wish you owned a honda ? :rofl:

Ben
11-07-2002, 04:38 PM

so you really trying to tell us is that you wish you owned a honda ? :rofl:

Yes, if VW was not around, they would be my number 2 choice.\

Also, I'm not to sure how accurate this poll will be...alot more people own hondas than vw's on thos board, and will vote honda just because...like I said...you really want to compare, lets do it at a meet, we'll make a checklist and document it.

buh_buh
11-07-2002, 04:48 PM

Yes, if VW was not around, they would be my number 2 choice.\

Also, I'm not to sure how accurate this poll will be...alot more people own hondas than vw's on thos board, and will vote honda just because...like I said...you really want to compare, lets do it at a meet, we'll make a checklist and document it.
yeah, but the reason why there are more honda owners on the board because people like their "build quality" or whatever better than VW.

James
11-07-2002, 04:54 PM

That sounds like a good idea

Originally posted by Weapon_R
I'm pretty impressed with my car and I think that Honda is undoubtedly one of the best vehicles you can buy. Honestly.

Arnt you Comparing Honda/VW not Acura/VW, then it should be Acura/Audi dont you think?:dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
11-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Toyota OWNZ all y'all

James
11-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Toyota OWNZ all y'all

yeah, whats this honda/vw crap?:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Ben
11-07-2002, 05:14 PM
shaddap james, you are a dubber at heart:rofl: :burnout:

James
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
shaddap james, you are a dubber at heart:rofl: :burnout:

I know, Even though i still loved it, my Passat wasnt Exactly Reliable:( ...Brand New VW's have WAY better Build Qaulity though, B3 Passats (90-93) had So many Problems because VW tried to do too much at one time, VW's Didnt come with all kinds of Fancy options up until then( atleast not that i know of, maybe some select models) and they just didnt get it right until around 95-96, I know Tons of People that have/had BEAT THE HELL out of old 80's Volkwagens with well over 200,000km, and they Ran Mint!.

People Say that old VW's looked like crap as well, has anyone taken a look at early to mid 80's Civics/preludes?....not the Pretiest cars, id sure as hell prefer to Drive Bennys car over an '83 Civic, although by the Late 80's Honda Was well above everyone in there class with Interior/Exterior Design IMO(Except VW and Toyota that is):D

5.9 R/T
11-07-2002, 05:48 PM
I don't think you can pick one because build quality differs from car to car. Also 'Build Quality' is a bit of a general term that really doesn't describe anything and means different things to different people. For example GM was at the top of the last JD powers quality servey, second only to honda i believe. Every article i read about a gm car say, not to mention the ones i've sat in, seem to be poorly put together, are rather ugly to look at and to touch, yet they hold together well and are very durable. Bottom line, build quality means different things to different people so you'll never settle this.

Ben
11-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I don't think you can pick one because build quality differs from car to car. Also 'Build Quality' is a bit of a general term that really doesn't describe anything and means different things to different people. For example GM was at the top of the last JD powers quality servey, second only to honda i believe. Every article i read about a gm car say, not to mention the ones i've sat in, seem to be poorly put together, are rather ugly to look at and to touch, yet they hold together well and are very durable. Bottom line, build quality means different things to different people so you'll never settle this.

thankyou!

Fluidic
11-07-2002, 06:07 PM
As long as my car's not made in America, I'm happy. My car was built by German engineered robots, not American... so at the end of the day... I'm happy!

American cars are garbage... period!

Peter

Fluidic
11-07-2002, 06:08 PM
-- you know what, you opened a HUGE can of worms here... this is the last I'm going to check of this thread... I got so much work to do... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

LOL

Hollywood
11-07-2002, 06:09 PM

100% Yes it does

Sorry Benny..I'm with Legendboy..Nothing can convince me that Mexican produced vehicles can compare to Japaneese produced vehicles. I know this due to personal experiences and friends. And it is my true opinion.

Fluidic
11-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Benny... don't fight a battle you are never going to win. This is like the never-ending battle of 1.8T vs. VR6.

Peter

Ben
11-07-2002, 06:15 PM
hey, we cant change some peoples opinions if you slap them in the facte with a fact book, its human nature, and I dont hold that against you.

I just know that the steriotypes are false from hands on experience, but hey, I'm just one person.

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Give me a break, all this talk about low quality cause it's made in Mexico is a bunch of :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

All you have to do is look inside a new Volkswagen and a new Honda and you'll see the difference. Honda's look cheap when compared to VW and that's the bottom line.

5.9 R/T
11-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by PlatinumTurbo
Give me a break, all this talk about low quality cause it's made in Mexico is a bunch of :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

All you have to do is look inside a new Volkswagen and a new Honda and you'll see the difference. Honda's look cheap when compared to VW and that's the bottom line.

No, the bottom line is this:

Bottom line, build quality means different things to different people so you'll never settle this.

Weapon_R
11-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by James
Arnt you Comparing Honda/VW not Acura/VW, then it should be Acura/Audi dont you think?:dunno:

Not really. When l made the poll, just really wanted to compare Honda and VW. I sometimes call my teg a Honda but it's marketed as a honda everywhere except in North America. Much of the same platform and suspension as a civic...so its a fair comparison.

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
-- you know what, you opened a HUGE can of worms here... this is the last I'm going to check of this thread... I got so much work to do... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

lol I knew it would happen, even though I asked everyone to throw out their biasis and just check off what they thought was more reliable and would outlast the other overall....can't even have a simple thing as that hahaha

Umm...I think you totally misunderstood what I wrote. When I said "I think Honda makes some of the best cars available" you write "you think but you don't know?" Thats my opinion. Let me make it more clear. I KNOW that Honda makes some of the finest vehicles that you can buy today. I simply said that I am very happy with mine and as ridiculous as it may sound, would rank it along with some of the top European vehicle manufacturers today.

Fuji
11-07-2002, 06:48 PM
VW has gotten better in quality, however they are nowhere near the standards of Honda IMO. Japanese engineering and work mentality and work ethics (Kanban, Total Quality control, factory layout ambience etc.)just adds to the quality process most Japanese companies will stop the process if a problem is found along the procustion line and fix teh problem before returning to producing I don't think VW does that and VW is still way behind when compared to Japanese production processes.

I am not in any way bashing VW (I really love the S4), I just studied this and found this to be the case.

Fluidic
11-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Hey Benny... where's that link to the inside of the Volkswagen factories down there in Mexico...

Honestly the factory looks like a mini-Germany city if you look at the layout and what not... it's just fantastic!

Cheers!

Peter

Fuji
11-07-2002, 06:53 PM

So what?? If you have a good looking girlfriend who is a bitch/slut she is poor quality too, but she looks prime. You can't tell by looking at exteriors... Everyone has their own opinion.

If you actually look at the production lines/workers commitment to quality control you will see that Hondas for the most part are better in reliable quality. VW's are good too I'm just saying that japanese automotive production is still ahead of the game.

mwmhong
11-07-2002, 06:59 PM
For example GM was at the top of the last JD powers quality servey, second only to honda i believe. Every article i read about a gm car say, not to mention the ones i've sat in, seem to be poorly put together, are rather ugly to look at and to touch, yet they hold together well and are very durable. Bottom line, build quality means different things to different people so you'll never settle this.

5.9 R/T is correct.

Someone has to specify EXACTLY what "Build quality" is defined as: how long the vehicles last, customer satisfaction, crash survivability, vehicle fit-and-finish, short term, long-term, etc. etc. .

I think the JD thing went Toyota, Honda, GM. It's "initial quality", like only a few months after purchase. See how the GM cars like the "best initial quality" Corvette are doing after they've gone through the years. :thumbsdow

One thing is for sure, domestics SUCK when it comes to most of the above.

"And that's the bottomest line I've ever bottom-lined 'cause Stone Cold said so." :)

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

So what?? If you have a good looking girlfriend who is a bitch/slut she is poor quality too, but she looks prime. You can't tell by looking at exteriors... Everyone has their own opinion.

If you actually look at the production lines/workers commitment to quality control you will see that Hondas for the most part are better in reliable quality. VW's are good too I'm just saying that japanese automotive production is still ahead of the game.

Production maybe, but everybody knows that German Car Engineering is far more superior than Japanese.

Fuji
11-07-2002, 07:10 PM

Production maybe, but everybody knows that German Car Engineering is far more superior than Japanese.

I dunno if everyone thinks that or not... everyone has there own opinion and I don;t want to start any arguments... My opinion is that each side has thier own benefits... I think Honda puts out great though and engineering into their cars. They sometimes use Carbon fibre to reinforce cylinder walls etc just to prove thier abilities. When all is said and done I think that they end up being very similar whan you are comparing jap/german cars of the same caliber.

Hollywood
11-07-2002, 07:19 PM

Oh boy.....(sigh)....Now you've done it.:devil: :devil: :devil:

buh_buh
11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
This is like the never-ending battle of 1.8T vs. VR6.
There was no battle FD. YOU just made it a battle in your own head. :rolleyes:

VR6... cause it's known for it's legendary success amoung the automobile industry

Actually Mike it was 16.6... and you know what... that VR6 was NOT fast!

Oh man... when my K03-Sport starts spooling... it's small size makes up for the small engine displacement... and since it's a hybrid of the bigger K04... the top end it almost TOO powerful!

The 1.8T is by FAR much faster then my VR6... turbo is where it's at!! :)
hahaha, just had to add in this one too:

Originally posted by Audi Kid
fuck that man!!!! FD representing vw's...shit this is gonna be embarasing... heh

Fluidic
11-07-2002, 07:53 PM
LOL

Hey man... back in the VR6 days, I didn't know any better. :clap: :rofl:

Peter

GTS Jeff
11-07-2002, 07:54 PM
There's no question that VW is great when it comes to fit and finish, but any Honda will outlast a VW in terms of reliability.

Redlyne_mr2
11-07-2002, 08:03 PM

highly debatable

Weapon_R
11-07-2002, 08:17 PM

highly debatable

:werd: :werd:

passatandjetta
11-07-2002, 09:03 PM
I own both German and Mexican Volkswagens.

I feel confident saying that even though my German VW is 3 years older than my Mexican VW, it's in better shape.

But, Volkswagen's Puebla plant has gotten drastically better in the past few years. There isn't even any Spanish spoken in the plant...all workers speak fluent German.

kenny
11-07-2002, 09:09 PM
On a side story, it was funny, they recieved a Jetta t my dads dealership, and it had a wallet of one of the builders fallen underneith the seat of the car. A visa card, drivers licence and all that neat stuff, it was kinda cool to see the face of somene who helped build that car.

Just goes to show the "build quality" at the plant. One would expect that a highly professional automobile plant would find the wallet before the car exits the factory and is shipped abroad. If they didn't find the wallet, do you think they found the loose nut? the missing part? etc etc?

bart
11-07-2002, 09:59 PM
honda? ahahahah :rolleyes: :dunno:

simple test, slam the door on both cars, whichever is louder, means its shittier. ;)

its about time someone has posted this, lol.

GTS Jeff
11-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by suffeks

simple test, slam the door on both cars, whichever is louder, means its shittier. ;)

its about time someone has posted this, lol. its because of people like you that many manufacturers pour tons of r&d into the way a door sounds when it closes instead of more important things

lammer
11-07-2002, 10:05 PM

its about time someone has posted this, lol. :dunno:

haha slam the doors..oh lord. anyways. i don't know the stories behind VW but my uncle has a 93 accord and it feels like new. From the first day he bought it home from the dealership till now, i've haven't noticed anything wrong with it. and i've seen some of these bad boys go up to around 300,000kms but whatever its my opinion.

Weapon_R
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM

its about time someone has posted this, lol.

Great reasoning! :thumbsup:

bart
11-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
its because of people like you that many manufacturers pour tons of r&d into the way a door sounds when it closes instead of more important things

well i'm sorry, but its true. little details like this. ideally, a car door slamming should sound like "a rock dropping into mud", pluuuup.

build quality i believe is how a car is put together. see, here is a fact: honda uses recycled metals, vw uses new metals. therefore making the frame stronger then hondas, and therefore having a higher price. also, the interior on any mk4 vw has a better fit and finish then honda. germans are known for this.

you must note, i drive a vw, so you can say i'm bias, whatever. you can say honda most likely will outlast a vw, well ok, but not my vw, see its diesel, has less moving parts, will last longer then a honda, but then its a diesel, so its like comparing apples to oranges.

does build quality impact safety? well this year vw golf has taken first place for being the safest car in crash tests for small cars.

there are only 4 main reasons i would pick a vw over a honda:

1) the folding laser cut key - something mercedes does not have, their's is semi-laser cut
2) the fit and finish of the interior
3) getting 50mpg while being quite fast, well after my mods
4) build quality

now, if honda offered all this above but better, would i pick honda? no, because if it offered all that, it would end up costing more then a vw, besides, once you get a vw, you wont get a honda, or at least i wont.

see, when people say honda, they assume civic, at least thats what us vw people think. and probably the same vice versa. my golf was $25k new, no power windows, no power seats, just power locks, no cd player, no a/c, no sunroof. what was i thinking eh? ahaha, i wasnt, i knew i would get my money's worth.

perhaps to look at build quality, we shouldn't look at average cars, we should compare the best of the best. so hondas most expensive and vw's most expensive, sorry, honda people, please list honda's best car, i dont know what it can be, prelude? or did they stop making those? dont include acura for this comparison, or i will include audi :)

i present the vv phaeton:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/events/paris2002/2002_volkswagen_phaeton-1.jpg

http://www.in.gr/auto/dokimes/pr_dokimes_ae/foto_big/ae_VW_Phaeton_685_012002_02.jpg

comes in a few engine choices, a W12 with 400 some hp, a V10 tdi, the most powerful diesel engine in a car, etc

this car is a main competitor for the mercedes S600, even so, the chancelor of germany is probably going to pick this vw over a mercedes. btw chancelor is just their equivalent of president.

mwmhong
11-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Just something I found:

So, you like the German cars, eh? Let's get a few things straight. First, it was the Japanese automakers that forced everybody's hand on the issue of quality. The overwhelming popularity of Toyotas and Hondas convinced domestic automakers to improve, while Lexus taught the Europeans that they could build a better car, and for less money. Though this lesson began two decades ago, both the Americans and the Europeans continue to struggle to match the Japanese on the quality front.

From http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/letters/46004/article.html

brianpgriset
11-07-2002, 10:39 PM
i have a friend with an 86 golf. it has 568,000 miles:)

max_boost
11-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by brianpgriset
i have a friend with an 86 golf. it has 568,000 miles:)

What?!?!?! Its at 900 000kms? On the same motor? Is that even possible?:rofl:

bart
11-07-2002, 10:43 PM
germany will always kick everyones ass when it comes to making cars, just as they did in two world wars, lol. :guns:

well they eventually lost... :rolleyes:

finboy
11-07-2002, 10:52 PM
yea, the schliefen (sp?) plan should have worked

bart
11-07-2002, 10:52 PM
speaking of factories, 3 words:
DRESDEN TRANSPARENCY FACTORY

http://www.glaesernemanufaktur.de/

ok, this place looks like someones living room, lol, since when did they start installing hardwood floors in car plants? well, since sept 30 i guess, lol.

ok, so if you have a factory like this, you cannot have any better build quality anywhere else, lol.

go vw :clap: :thumbsup:

mwmhong
11-07-2002, 11:04 PM
germany will always kick everyones ass when it comes to making cars, just as they did in two world wars, lol. :guns:

well they eventually lost... :rolleyes:

I remember from my military history course that WWII was a war of material (a battle of who could produce). The Germany war machine was so productive that if they waited a few more years before starting $#it they would have conquered all of Europe and Russia fairly easily. Very scary stuff, the Wehrmacht was badass.

finboy
11-07-2002, 11:32 PM
plus hitler had ferry porsche designing his tanks, kubelwagon's, vw's etc.

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
Just something I found:

So, you like the German cars, eh? Let's get a few things straight. First, it was the Japanese automakers that forced everybody's hand on the issue of quality. The overwhelming popularity of Toyotas and Hondas convinced domestic automakers to improve, while Lexus taught the Europeans that they could build a better car, and for less money. Though this lesson began two decades ago, both the Americans and the Europeans continue to struggle to match the Japanese on the quality front.

From http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/letters/46004/article.html

Just in case you didn't read the crap in your link. It's letters to the editor which means anybody could have written all sorts of crap which makes your entire statement totally worthless:dunno:

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 11:52 PM

perhaps to look at build quality, we shouldn't look at average cars, we should compare the best of the best. so hondas most expensive and vw's most expensive, sorry, honda people, please list honda's best car, i dont know what it can be, prelude? or did they stop making those? dont include acura for this comparison, or i will include audi :)

I fully agree. You can't just say that a $80,000 accura is a honda because then Audi would have be included in this arguement. It is the same thing to VW as Accura is to Honda afterall.

By the way, what is Honda's best car?????

Redlyne_mr2
11-07-2002, 11:52 PM

Just in case you didn't read the crap in your link. It's letters to the editor which means anybody could have written all sorts of crap which makes your entire statement totally worthless:dunno:
With that sort of reasoning then that makes any of your posts totally worthless, its an opinion that is shared by many automotive journalists and experts worldwide, that statement is far from worthless because it makes valid points which can easily be proven to be true, Lexus for instance was a company that started on those types of principles, Toyota wanted to show other auto manufacturers that they could rival if not beat the build quality of the europeans while keeping prices down and they;ve done it! Have you ever driven or set foot in an LS430,its absolute perfection and is much cheaper than its competitors...Don't get me wrong I love european cars, but there are many areas left for them to improve which in my opinion makes them highly over rates.
Redlyne

max_boost
11-07-2002, 11:54 PM

With that sort of reasoning then that makes any of your posts totally worthless, its an opinion that is shared by many automotive journalists and experts worldwide, that statement is far from worthless because it makes valid points which can easily be proven to be true, Lexus for instance was a company that started on those types of principles, Toyota wanted to show other auto manufacturers that they could rival if not beat the build quality of the europeans while keeping prices down and they;ve done it! Have you ever driven or set foot in an LS430,its absolute perfection and is much cheaper than its competitors...Don't get me wrong I love european cars, but there are many areas left for them to improve which in my opinion makes them highly over rates.
Redlyne

Its still the name of the company......people are willing to pay a premium for the manufacturers name......don't get me wrong, your totally right about the LS430, but for that price, there are quite a few people that would prefer a Benz/BMW just because of the name!

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 11:55 PM
hey, i feel that those letters to the editor are worthless crap and if you're using them as part of your argument then automatically your arguement becomes less credible.

PlatinumTurbo
11-07-2002, 11:57 PM

Redlyne

How is Toyota and Lexus connected to the arguement of VW vs. Honda in any way???

gpomp
11-07-2002, 11:57 PM

I fully agree. You can't just say that a $80,000 accura is a honda because then Audi would have be included in this arguement. It is the same thing to VW as Accura is to Honda afterall.

By the way, what is Honda's best car?????

The most expensive Acura (not including the NSX) is 55k.

Honda's "best car" is the S2000.

Redlyne_mr2
11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
hey, i feel that those letters to the editor are worthless crap and if you're using them as part of your argument then automatically your arguement becomes less credible.
The reason why i believe so strongly in that argument is because that is almost identical to Lexus's original mission statement, look at how succesful that company is now

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 12:00 AM
[

How is Toyota and Lexus connected to the arguement of VW vs. Honda in any way???
No where in my statement did I ever say they were....I was responding in regards to your opinion about that quote that mwmhong posted

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

The most expensive Acura (not including the NSX) is 55k.

Honda's "best car" is the S2000.

Honda is not trying to get a piece of this high end luxury market like VW. VW just came out with the Passat W8 and they are going to be introducing a high end luxury car to compete with the Benz S-Class......I'm really curious as to why they didn't introduce it in Audi division......must be something to do with marketing, it always is

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:01 AM
Ahh who cares.....no matter how shitty quality a car is, someone will always buy it:rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Honda is not trying to get a piece of this high end luxury market like VW. VW just came out with the Passat W8 and they are going to be introducing a high end luxury car to compete with the Benz S-Class......I'm really curious as to why they didn't introduce it in Audi division......must be something to do with marketing, it always is
The reasoning behind vw's entrance into the luxury market is because of its customers extremely strong brand loyalty, its a loyalty that audi does not yet have and may never have, VW is doign what any smart manufacturer shoudl do:manufacturer a lineup up vehicles that evolves and improves as the customer ages and becomes more successful.

CRXguy
11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
:zzz:

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:09 AM

The reasoning behind vw's entrance into the luxury market is because of its customers extremely strong brand loyalty, its a loyalty that audi does not yet have and may never have, VW is doign what any smart manufacturer shoudl do:manufacturer a lineup up vehicles that evolves and improves as the customer ages and becomes more successful.

I'm majoring in marketing and totally forgot about that:rofl: Yes your very correct:thumbsup:

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
:zzz:

And then there is subaru:thumbsdow :rofl: j/k

CRXguy
11-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Still better than a TDI!

:poosie:

PlatinumTurbo
11-08-2002, 12:12 AM

And then there is subaru:thumbsdow :rofl: j/k

No comment.

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:13 AM
Still better than a TDI!

:poosie:

I know a few people that own VWs, and they are all single men who look like FD:rofl: :guns: j/k

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:14 AM

No comment.

Lets hear what you have to say:poosie:

PlatinumTurbo
11-08-2002, 12:16 AM
alright. a good friend of mine has had a wrx for about 5 months now and his seems to spend more time in the shop then on the street. Maybe it's just his but that's my 2 cents/

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 12:16 AM

I'm majoring in marketing and totally forgot about that:rofl: Yes your very correct:thumbsup:
Automotive Marketing Byatch!!!...Recognize
:rofl: :thumbsup:

CRXguy
11-08-2002, 12:18 AM
alright. a good friend of mine has had a wrx for about 5 months now and his seems to spend more time in the shop then on the street. Maybe it's just his but that's my 2 cents/

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of problems? I know a couple ppl who have owned theirs for more than a year, and have had not one single problem.

Maybe your friend doesn't know how to take care of his car?:dunno:

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:18 AM

Something about Subarus developing rust too, my sister has a 2.5RS Impreza and you can see it forming on the front bumper! The car is a 2001!

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 12:19 AM
I think we can all agree that Subaru has had some quality issues, i dont understand why:dunno: The JDM subarus OWN...nevertheless i still love the WRX and I hope its around for a long time

max_boost
11-08-2002, 12:20 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of problems? I know a couple ppl who have owned theirs for more than a year, and have had not one single problem.

When a car breaks down, it breaks down man........unless the dude keeps on redlining 3rd and dropping it into 2nd......do that a few times and I'm sure things will screw up:rofl:

PlatinumTurbo
11-08-2002, 12:20 AM

hey man i think wrx's are kick ass cars. his seems to have drivetrain problems or at least that's what he says.

CRXguy
11-08-2002, 12:28 AM

hey man i think wrx's are kick ass cars. his seems to have drivetrain problems or at least that's what he says.

Is his an early 2002 or late 2002 model? If you do a search on I-Club (http://www.i-club.com), you'll find some interesting threads related to that.

I do know that Subaru has fixed the problem in the late 2002 models. The tranny is the weakpoint, but that's not until you mod the shit out of it!:D

WRX's are kick ass cars. It's still pretty quick with a car-load of ppl.:thumbsup:

James
11-08-2002, 12:59 AM
This has gone on for 5 pages already, i dont even think there is a point to this..........oh yeah, and Toyota's Still Better!:rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by James
This has gone on for 5 pages already, i dont even think there is a point to this..........oh yeah, and Toyota's Still Better!:rofl: :werd:

redline_13000
11-08-2002, 02:17 AM
screw all u guys and ur hondas, toyotas, and vw's, Hyundai ownz all:werd: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsdow

szw
11-08-2002, 02:23 AM
My car was built in mexico...i just found about half a roll of masking tape under my dash (not rolled up, all crumpled up) with some weird looking seeds stuck to it. Man I hope some weird mexican plant doesn't start growing in my car!

kenny
11-08-2002, 02:28 AM
1) the folding laser cut key - something mercedes does not have, their's is semi-laser cut

Laser cut keys are so yesterday! haha who needs keys with Mercede's Keyless Go option? place thumb on doorhandle and it unlocks. Place thumb on shiftknob, and car starts. :bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
11-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Geez, I could go on forever about how Honda and Toyota will own absolutely everyone when it comes to reliability...but it won't change a damn thing or anyone's damn opinion, so why bother!

I'll just leave it at...HONDA OWNZ ME!! :clap:

James
11-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
I could go on forever about how Toyota will own absolutely everyone when it comes to reliability......And Honda sucks

See, Jeff knows what hes talking about!!:rofl: