PDA

View Full Version : Teryaki Sauce from Edo Japan kiosks?

izzoblitzo
08-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, Im addicted to the teryaki sauce they serve at Edo Japan. Any ideas on how I can get a bottle of that stuff, or at least a teryaki sauce that tastes like it that I can get at superstore or something?

my dad helped the original founder develop the sauce like 20 some years ago! he said it's mainly just brown sugar and water and soy. *L*

It's prolly been tweaked since then though.

EK 2.0
08-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Just steal some...OR ask the guys/girls at EDO to hook you up wif some of the stuff...

shadowz
08-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Yea my buddy owns a EDO he makes it himself now

benyl
08-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Go to real canadian wholesale, they have some good shit.

lam-boy
08-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
Hey guys, Im addicted to the teryaki sauce they serve at Edo Japan. Any ideas on how I can get a bottle of that stuff, or at least a teryaki sauce that tastes like it that I can get at superstore or something?

my dad helped the original founder develop the sauce like 20 some years ago! he said it's mainly just brown sugar and water and soy. *L*

actually its the same, I used to make the sauce haha.

then to thicken it you just heat it and add corn starch + water and stir it to thicken it.

dj_rice
08-13-2004, 10:26 PM
LOL...

The actual exact recipe for the Edo Teriyaki sauce is...u go to Superstore and get the Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce, put it in a pot and bring it to a boil and add water and brown sugar or white sugar..and some soy sauce...and the trick is to find the balance...I cant remember cuz my aunt use to own an Edo and I'd watch her make it lol

dj_rice
08-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Ohhh yeah forgot about the cornstarch to thicken part

kiwi
08-13-2004, 11:47 PM

Would your dad know how to make it? Or does it taste different?

Skylinelover
08-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Just jack it.

///M3
08-14-2004, 11:22 AM
just hold up an edo japan. GIMMIE ALL YOUR TERYAKI SAUCE BITCHES. ITS DELICIOUS AND I CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT.

awd
08-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Its all about the corn starch.

I am a whore for Edo's Sukiyaki sauce and after a few tries at making it I have it mastered.

d-UNiT
09-04-2004, 08:54 PM
YO MAN!.. lol im so hooked on that stuff too.. if only i knew the EXACT recipe.. lol.. its easy to say.. add a little of this a little of that.. but.. yo.. exact measurements pleeeeease.. hahaha PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

dj_rice
09-04-2004, 10:51 PM
LOL u actually dont add anything...

U go to Real Canadian Wholesale...look for a big bucket called I think Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce...bring it home, boil it up....and add a corn starch slurry to however thick u want it..and voila ...

d-UNiT
09-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
LOL u actually dont add anything...

U go to Real Canadian Wholesale...look for a big bucket called I think Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce...bring it home, boil it up....and add a corn starch slurry to however thick u want it..and voila ...

dont add anything?

d-UNiT
09-05-2004, 12:18 AM
and are you sure?.. cuz if you are.. i am going down to superstore right now to wait until their doors open!

finboy
09-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Go to real canadian wholesale

i wouldn't do that :devil:

dj_rice
09-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Yes you dont add anything cept cornstarch to thicken it, well I dunno if its bought at Real Canadian...but its Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce..my aunt use to own a Edo and I'd watch her make it...

d-UNiT
09-05-2004, 12:55 AM
haha nice.. i love your aunt

d-UNiT
09-05-2004, 06:27 PM
what time does superstore close?

GTS Jeff
09-05-2004, 06:51 PM
there must be a LOT of msg in the teriyaki sauce for it to be so good and addictive.

d-UNiT
09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
NO!... there is no MSG.. I WONT BELIEVE IT.. NO!!!!!!!!!!:barf:

d-UNiT
10-12-2004, 12:47 PM
i cant get the right solution!

what am i doing wrong gdamnit

sputnik
10-12-2004, 01:10 PM
maybe tell us EXACTLY what you are doing

d-UNiT
10-12-2004, 02:36 PM
boiling kikkoman terriyaki sauce and adding corn starch

sputnik
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
When you add cornstarch to thicken something you need to dissolve it in water and THEN slowly add it to the boiling liquid.

Try small quanties of soy sauce and keep adding cornstarch and water until it thickens... then keep it at a light boil until it reduces.

d-UNiT
10-12-2004, 03:24 PM
thats confusing...

at first i was toldthat i only need cornstarch.. but now i have to dissolve the corn starch in water.. and then add it with some soy sauce!..

make up my mind.. lol

sputnik
10-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Not really... the cornstarch needs to be disolved before you add it. This goes when thickening gravies, reductions and demi glazes as well.

Just mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch in a cup of water and slowly add it to the boiling soy sauce. The more cornstarch you add... the more it thickens.

Jassie
10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Just mix Soy Sauce, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire sauce, a TINY bit of Pinneapple Juice and some Toasted Sesame Seeds and it makes a YUMMY sauce.

Jassie
10-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Oh and like the others you have to bring it to a boil and then add cornstarch mixed in water to make it thick.

d-UNiT
10-12-2004, 09:02 PM
im just gonna try to boil the kikkoman... dissolve the corn starch.. and add.. does anyone know the exact ratio of dissolved corn starch to boiling kikkoman sauce ;)

dj_rice
10-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Nope, depends on how much sauce ur making I guess...

Call up an Edo shop and ask them for their recipe

dj_rice
10-12-2004, 09:07 PM
And, you dont need any brown sugar or any of that other stuff...

Seriously...all the sauce is, the kikkomen shit...with some corn starch slurry mixed in to make it thick...and pour on rice and enjoy!:drama:

d-UNiT
10-12-2004, 09:33 PM
thanks bud

but it doesnt depend on the size of my brew.. if you give me a ratio.. like 2 cups of kikkoman to half cup of dissolved corn starch

know what i mean

and bad idea to call an edo.. theyde probably talk too fast and unclear and hang up before i could say anything
:devil: :whocares:

lam-boy
10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
theres not really a ratio...

just get like a cup of corn starch and mix it up with like half a cup water.

the more roux (thickening agent of corn starch and water) you put in the thicker the sauce gets. its more on how thick you want the sauce. you can make it so thick that its like a paste or so runny its like water still.

izzoblitzo
10-13-2004, 01:58 PM
ahh! I tried using the recipe you guys gave last night. it was salty and looked mucus-ish! I had to put some sugar in there to get it sweeter!!

I could make a fortune selling this stuff premade (just heat up) if I had the recipe!! mwhauauahaha

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 03:05 PM
what do you mean if you had the recipe..

you do have it.

how did it taste when you added sugar?

izzoblitzo
10-13-2004, 04:50 PM
You know.. the official recipe from Edo Japan. With instructions to heat up and serve (like put in the microwave and serve).

the correct recipe.. down to the ratio... bottled ready to serve.

Im sure it'd be a hot seller.

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
ya without a doubt dogg.. i was looking for that too but everyone keeps saying different things.. and it seems they are all wrong..

AWD.. <-- said hes a whore at the sauce.. i wonder if he can make up a nice little recipe for us edo sauce newbs ;)

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 07:37 PM
k i bought two containers of

kikkoman teriyaki baste & glaze

please tell me this is the righht stuff...

if not im gonna flippppppppppp!

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 07:39 PM
it tastes pretty good on its own.. im sure this must be the sauce..

im about to go and boil!

ill write down exact measurements and shit so we can see what exactly we need to do to make the perfect sauce.. wish me luck edo enthusiasts.. HAHA!

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 08:03 PM
k guys

i made a pretty good sauce

this is what i did

you will need:

one container of kikkoman teriyaki sauce
2 table spoons of brown sugar
cornstarch(optional)
water
stove
brain

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 pour one container of kikkoman teriyaki sauce into a pot
2 bring to a boil
3 (optional) mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a couple onces of water.. this is optional because i made two sauces one with cornstarch one without.. they both tasted close to the sauce.. the one with cornstarch was thicker add to boiling sauce
4 put in one or two tablespoons of brownsugar (to your liking).. and mix...
5 by now it should be pretty thick.. so to thin it up add a bit of water.. this is a desired ammount depending how thick or watery you want it

it should be completed now...

SUCESS your a chef
haha
... so... i thought mine tasted pretty good.. and im not being biased at all.. hopefully you all have as good results as i did..

now.. to make the beef..one option is to buy roladin steaks.. and chop them up in strips and baste the steaks with it while cooking

throw meat over rice and add sauce

if you are looking for the hot sauce.. they have there.. its is sriachi chilli sauce.. you can buy it with or without the chilli seeds.. personally myself i like them without the seeds because when i need to let loose the food i ate it doesnt spitfire out my ass and cause irratation to my rectum.. HAHA

anyways.. good luck all hopefully i helped!

dj_rice
10-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Nope..its not the stuff...

Well I dunno...try to make friends with someone who works at Edo lol...and then bring some authentic sauce home

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
well if thats not the sauce i dont know what is.. because it turned out perfect...

what sauce are you talking about

kiwi
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
This thread is making me hungry! Now I want Edo baaaad!!! :drool:

To a certain someone... let's go on Friday! ;) :D

d-UNiT
10-13-2004, 10:11 PM
whos this certain somebody :angel:

i hope your not hitting on me again :dunno: :rofl:

Jassie
10-14-2004, 12:02 AM
A cup of corn Starch?!? You only need like a tablespoon or two, It goes pretty far.

d-UNiT
10-14-2004, 12:04 AM
hey i never said a cup of cornstarch.. that would be fucking crazy.. i said a tablespoon ish.. lol

kiwi
10-16-2004, 12:42 AM
mmm... finally had some Edo tonight! Satisfied my craving :drool: :D :thumbsup:

d-UNiT
10-16-2004, 12:44 AM
haha i had some too.. even though i made it the night before its sick

GucciBoy
10-17-2004, 12:06 AM
this thread is funny

Just drink the sauce its good for you lol.

kiwi
10-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I went to Sukiyaki House for dinner last night, & we bought a bottle of their teriyaki sauce & another bottle of salad dressing! :thumbsup: :drool:

d-UNiT
10-18-2004, 12:20 AM
how is the teriyaki from sukiyaki house?

taste the same

how much did it cost?

d-UNiT
10-18-2004, 12:21 AM
19.14 posts a day

holy fucking snikeys

kiwi
10-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by d-UNiT
how is the teriyaki from sukiyaki house?

taste the same

how much did it cost?

It was about $3.50 or $3.75 for a 250mL bottle. Same w/ the salad dressing :drool:

d-UNiT
10-18-2004, 09:57 PM
and is the sauce the same.. do fucking tell!

HuMz
10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
k guys

i made a pretty good sauce

this is what i did

you will need:

one container of kikkoman teriyaki sauce
2 table spoons of brown sugar
cornstarch(optional)
water
stove
brain

I worked there for years and you have it exactly right, cept they have a special powder they mix in with the soy sauce that comes pre bucketed, therefore noone will ever know the shit thats in the powder, you can buy similar shit tho at that sukyaki place in market mall i tihnk it is or wanna the ones up north

d-UNiT
10-18-2004, 10:16 PM
one thing i didnt do was add soy sauce.. do you think it will affect it much?

HuMz
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
oh sorry i read wrong i thought you said kikomen soy sauce, but yeah id try using soy sauce (maybe add a bit of teriyaki) then just add some brown sugar, bring it to a boil and then in a seperate cup mix corn starch and water and mix it in until it thinkens a bit, dont forget tho it will thicken alot more once it cools, but ya c how that tastes it should be close

d-UNiT
10-18-2004, 11:15 PM
ill try that sometime soon thanks snoop dee oh double gizzaaay

dj_rice
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Hahahah

U guys need to go to Teriyakis Sauce Addicts Anoynomous :drama:

d-UNiT
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
well if you could make your mind up on what the sauce is compiled of.. or ask your "aunt" "uncle" "father in law" who owns an edo.. how he makes it

that would be nice

but for now.. my homebrew will have to do

dj_rice
10-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Well u already figured out right ingredientes to ur liking in ur recipe So why need the real recipe?

:drama:

d-UNiT
10-20-2004, 10:40 PM
cuz you cant beat edo unless you match it

DUH!

64SON
10-21-2004, 08:42 PM
imma get edo for lunch tomorrow now lol

d-UNiT
10-21-2004, 08:46 PM
good thinking

kiwi
10-21-2004, 10:09 PM
My bf is so lucky! His office is like, only a block or so away from an Edo! :drool:

d-UNiT
10-21-2004, 10:12 PM
hold on a sec.. YOUR A GIRL!

haha..

wow this whole time i thought you were a guy

my bad
:)

kiwi
10-21-2004, 11:25 PM
hold on a sec.. YOUR A GIRL!

haha..

wow this whole time i thought you were a guy

my bad
:)

Thanks ;)

d-UNiT
10-22-2004, 12:10 AM
haha sorry!

i just never knew!

:drama:

but i will remember for future refrence :)

dj_rice
10-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Hahaha lol...

Teriyaki sauce brings 2 ppl together...awwwwwwww

lam-boy
10-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Hahaha lol...

Teriyaki sauce brings 2 ppl together...awwwwwwww

haha, man i can't believe how that shit is addicting, meh I guess working with it makes it gross.

dj_rice
10-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah .....its aight its aight...

Instead of eating it on rice, try marinating it with some chicken wings overnite..and then bake them the next day...

Mmmmmm mmmmm goodness

d-UNiT
10-23-2004, 06:23 PM
not shab of an idea

izzoblitzo
10-28-2004, 07:59 PM
My dad said 15 years ago, they made it by boiling celery in water (I guess celery has a really strong scent it needs), then the water is used as one of the ingredients.

other ingredients used is kikkoman soy sauce, a dash of oyster sauce for flavor (optional), lots of brown sugar, and corn starch.

He told me to get some kikkoman this weekend, and he'll help me with it. he said they might be selling the stuff premade or some kind of mix to sell to the franchises these days.

GTS Jeff
10-28-2004, 09:46 PM
i ordered sumo sized quadruple beef the other day. it came to $15.

lam-boy
10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

holy shit man, im suprised you're still alive.

GTS Jeff
10-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

holy shit man, im suprised you're still alive. a little part of me died that night.

dj_rice
10-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Damnnnnnn ur brave ur brave...I mean I'm a big guy and the regular size already fills me up...so sumo size lol....I think I'd be on the can for a couple of hours

d-UNiT
10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
jeff arent you niels friend?

fucking my buddy neil had this friend tellin me this story about fucking quadin up my edo

fucking i hat ethe service at edo they always say you want sumo.. and they emphasize the word.. it pisses me off.. im like fuck i didnt ask for it FUCKKKKKKKKKKKk :drama:

lam-boy
10-28-2004, 11:34 PM

fucking my buddy neil had this friend tellin me this story about fucking quadin up my edo

fucking i hat ethe service at edo they always say you want sumo.. and they emphasize the word.. it pisses me off.. im like fuck i didnt ask for it FUCKKKKKKKKKKKk :drama:

man you are retarded, they ask you to make money.

d-UNiT
10-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

GTS Jeff
10-29-2004, 12:35 AM

fucking i hat ethe service at edo they always say you want sumo.. and they emphasize the word.. it pisses me off.. im like fuck i didnt ask for it FUCKKKKKKKKKKKk :drama: i dont know any neils and i dont even live in calgary.

it was before a movie so i wanted some food. i figured itd be a good time to go all out cuz id have like 2 hours to eat it.

the stupid mainlanders there didnt understand me and tried giving me triple beef instead of quadruple. it took them like 10 minutes to comprehend that i wanted 4 times the beef and sumo sized.

lam-boy
10-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

d-UNiT
10-29-2004, 12:08 PM
haha my bad jeff

it just sounded like a one time thing that someone would do that :rofl: so i figured you were the same guy

and Iam-boy let it go man

christ

analbumcover
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
thread revive

jdmakkord
01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
The Teri I used to make years ago(different rest) was 4 cups brown sugar to 4L soy sauce. No corn starch needed, it thickened up when chilled.

shawtie
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
hmm...this thread has made me crave EDO and ive never even had it LOL walked by it lots but dont kwno what to order there.

analbumcover
01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
sukiyaki beef no mushrooms no veggies, extra sauce and add hot sauce

there no more excuses

izzoblitzo
01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Since I started this post four years ago.. I've grown out of Edo.... it's all about Banzai now... there's on on 4th St and 5 Ave, and there's one on Macleod Trail and Southland drive I think... (it's in the shopping mall across Macleod Tr from Rona/Walmart... that place is awesome... it's higher quality, and the prices are about the same... the Superbowl.... fricken awesome.. so filling.

gatorade
01-04-2008, 11:43 PM
edo gives me diarea but i keep eating it

analbumcover
01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Since I started this post four years ago.. I've grown out of Edo.... it's all about Banzai now... there's on on 4th St and 5 Ave, and there's one on Macleod Trail and Southland drive I think... (it's in the shopping mall across Macleod Tr from Rona/Walmart... that place is awesome... it's higher quality, and the prices are about the same... the Superbowl.... fricken awesome.. so filling.
ive kinda grown out of it too, i feel like the quality had gone dowhill quite a bit, have you tried Teriyaki Experience (or whatever its called) there is one in deerfoot meadows, its excellent!... ive seen that banzai place before, is it take out or is it a restaurant?.. ill have to try it out

Originally posted by gatorade
edo gives me diarea but i keep eating it

:werd: son, but the worst is when you use a lot of the hot sauce and you get diarhea, chilli pepper seeds out your as FTMFL!

sdiep
01-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
sukiyaki beef no mushrooms no veggies, extra sauce and add hot sauce

there no more excuses

I order that too, but I need the broccoli. I am not a fan of the cabbage, carrots shredded stuff.

Anyhow, years ago they had this contest where you could win bottled Edo Japan Teriyaki sauce. (Then again, that was held where I lived, and it was not in Calgary at that time) But they have this special base powder that they provide the restaurants to mix with sugar, cornstarch and water. That is, if they do it the same way nowadays, but that is what I remember.

izzoblitzo
01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

ive kinda grown out of it too, i feel like the quality had gone dowhill quite a bit, have you tried Teriyaki Experience (or whatever its called) there is one in deerfoot meadows, its excellent!... ive seen that banzai place before, is it take out or is it a restaurant?.. ill have to try it out

:werd: son, but the worst is when you use a lot of the hot sauce and you get diarhea, chilli pepper seeds out your as FTMFL!

Teriyaki Experience is just another Edo type of restaurant... I think there's one at Market Mall if I recall correctly.

Banzai is totally different.. it's still fast food.. but the food type is totally like something you'd find when you go and dine in! it's weird.. I didnt believe it until my buddy brought me there.. the prices are on par with Edo too!

Superbowl is the best... it's a huge bowl of rice, with some shredded lettuce on the side, a whole grilled Teriyaki chicken breast, a tiny bit of kimchi (I dont know why!) and some peanut sauce on top (there's already some teriyaki sauce as well on the rice). it's a huge portion for what you pay! They also sell Sushi rolls to go! You can get a meal that comes with miso soup!