PDA

View Full Version : General Thoughts on 95+ Talon

90TurboLude
08-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, im considering a 95+ (thats the start of the new Gen right?) Talon, Im curious of peoples opinions on making extra power on these, reliability, handling, is the TSI worth it etc?

also how much are they worth, ive seen as low as 12.5k for a TSI

hrm..

-mike

civicluva
08-13-2004, 05:56 PM
They look very nice. Watch out for beat up turbo ones though because crankwalk will screw you over. Give the previous owner a good look.

Wolfy
08-13-2004, 06:24 PM
My personal experience:

Just picked up a 96 with 62,000kms..... I was leary at first because of the stories.....plus I saw many before i bought this one. I paid 14g's however its TSi and fully loaded leather etc...owner was older and didnt think it was a mid-life crisis car.

Very true on making sure the car is mint before buying. I still worry something is gonna go wrong however with low K's I am hoping for the best...

For Mods there are tons....Talons are wicked in corners, i am used to riding street bikes and love the Car for its power and handling....

95+ is the new generation... I had a 93 and sold it after 270,000 with no problems. some say the 1G's were better??? who knows luck of the draw i guess

hope that helps.???

EK 2.0
08-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by civicluva
They look very nice. Watch out for beat up turbo ones though because crankwalk will screw you over. Give the previous owner a good look.

WTF!?!....what is it with using the term crankwalk for describing 2G DSM's...I am sick and tired of people learning about a very small problem with the cars, and then blaming that problem on everything from poor gas milage to the reason NOT to buy a great car...

When purchasing one you NEED to make sure all the regular maintenance was done on it...belts especially...the Balance Shaft belt is very often ingnored and can cause havoc to our beloved lil interference 4G63...aside from that they are a great lil car to mod, so finidn prime examples in the 2G era cars will be a lil harder as even they are now approaching 8-10 years old...

Plus making power in the DSM is very easy, and thigns do break/weaken...so just make sure that you get it thouroughly checked over...

Aside from that...yes they do have a few issues...not to make you shy away from them...BUT they do require a fair bit more up-keep than the regular turbo car in my expirience with them...Upgrading a turbo from teh stock T-25 to whatever you heart desires is often VERY cheap...and a good upgrade is the 1G 14B turbo...I will include a few links for you to take a look at...and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me or just post them here...

Good luck with your DSM search

Arif.

DSM FAQ (http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html)

1000 Already Answered Questions... (http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/)

Forcefed
08-14-2004, 10:52 AM
As Arif said, if they car it self is well taken care of and has all records then most likely its a good buy. But like all 7 bolts, there is a potential chance of crank walk due to the crank of course. But will it happen??? Its one of those questions we ponder....like will I win the lottery today?? Its a give and take, take good care of your car, and she wont let you down.