PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Wont Go Over 5 Psi..... Help!!

drewwhitt
08-13-2004, 08:35 PM
I have an 87 FORD THUNDERBIRD TURBO COUPE 2.3 turbo charged sohc..... ok i swapped the internals "fins shaft bearing the whole 9 yards" and dropped a brand new set of internals in and after I installed them .... i only get around 5 Psi of boost .... and i cant figure out why my wastegate acuater is opining at that many psi when its supposed to open at 15 psi .... help

barmanjay
08-13-2004, 09:07 PM
the only thing I can suggest is: you need to install a boost controller

Chris88CL
08-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Are you positive the wastegate is opening at 5psi?
Check for an exhaust leak or a boost leak first. If everything is tight then try running it without the filter on. Some air filters can be so restrictive that they wont allow you to reach full boost.

If your wastegate is actually opening then I'd take the rod off and make sure the flap moves freely. Also make sure you have the vacuum line(s) connected properly to the wastegate.

^SkylinE^
08-14-2004, 03:26 PM
internal or external wastegate i had this same problem a month ago with and external wastegate.... you might just have to ajust it.

tsi_neal
08-14-2004, 06:56 PM
pre turbo exhaust leak
wastegate not closing properly, or not sealing properly if closed
boost leak in the intake track

id call these the 3 most common problems to slow spool and limited boost pressures.

Merkur
08-15-2004, 01:21 AM
wierd, i owned my merkur for 2 years, same engine and i never had any problems turbo wise whatsoever, if you wanted you can call the local merkur guy, he may be willing to try to help out, of course stuff isn't free these days.

Ben

2.0turbo
08-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Pressurize the intake system. After a major overhall, unless you did it yourself, and even if you did, there is mostlikely something not done right. Check all the clamps and make sure they are tight. For months I drove around with 9psi not nowing what was wrong. changing actuator and all kinds of stuff, then one day a buddy of mine looked at the clamp and the bottom of the intercooler and realized that speedville hadn't tightened it enough and although my turbo was running as fast as it could, it would only push 9psi into the motor and the other 20 was going out into the atmostphere. Also, a common prob with dsm low boost is bad seals in the throttle body. Your leakdown test will show you.

mr2mike
08-17-2004, 01:47 PM
If you disconnect the wastegate actuator as a test, you should have the WG fully closed and it will not open. Then you try to boost to 8psi or something then you'll know if it's the WG or a leak in the pipes somewhere.

Oh and 2.0turbo... a leakdown test is to test for blowby on the piston rings. I don't think pressurizing the intake tract is called that.

Dr. Lightspeed
09-05-2004, 09:37 PM
I own the exact same car I am suspecting after replacing the turbo you have boost pressure dirrectly onto the wastegate actuator. Disconnect the vacuum line to the wastegate actuator.

Dick Starbuck
09-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Umm... don't disconnect the vacuum line to the actuator. It's there to regulate boost.

Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
09-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Dick no offence, but DR. Light speed is an expert, I would rather take his advice over anyone elses! (especially when he owns that car!)

Dick Starbuck
09-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that.

But, can someone exlpain to me how will boost be regulated without a vacuum line connected to the actuator? In my car if I disconnect that vacuum line my boost levels go dangerously high (like up to 20 psi by 5000 rpm if I'm at full throttle) because the wastegate stays shut.

finboy
09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
Dick no offence, but DR. Light speed is an expert, I would rather take his advice over anyone elses! (especially when he owns that car!)

except for the fact that if you pull the vacuum line off the wastegate, you will have nothing controling the boost.

not sure on the ford t3, but the dodge t3 wastegate will allow up to 25psi if its unplugged.

i don't know about you, but 25psi + no extra fuel = need for another new motor.