PDA

View Full Version : Team USA gets a thrashing *Merged

PGTze
08-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Anyone else see USA men's basketball team play Portugal today? Man did they ever get they're asses handed to them. USA's problem is they dont have anyone who can shoot over a zone defense. The tables have turned in the International Basketball world I guess.

:drama:

accordboi_02
08-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Hahaha, first loss since the US started sending NBA all-stars to the Olympics, and they got SPANKED by... get this... Puerto Rico!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Final score: PR 92 US 73

US shot a dismal 3 for 24 from the 3 point line. Hilarious game to watch, even funnier to listen to the announcers who were in complete shock!!

Krayzie
08-15-2004, 03:15 PM
haha just finished watching this game
through out the whole game i was just waiting...for the US to make a big run. That run didnt even come. It was sorta disappointing to watch nba players get spanked like that
but then again they could have chosen better people.
I still dont understand why Kevin Garnett isnt playing.
Props to #7 from Puerto Rico

PGTze
08-15-2004, 03:18 PM
No they copuldn't have chose better people, they got the best that actually wanted to play.

davidI
08-15-2004, 03:23 PM
It's tough when you have to play defence and the officials call traveling :rofl:

rage2
08-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Hahaha, first loss since the US started sending NBA all-stars to the Olympics, and they got SPANKED by... get this... Puerto Rico!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Wasn't the first. They played an exhibition game against Spain (I think) earlier this month and got spanked too.

pinoyhero
08-15-2004, 03:39 PM
I can't believe they are playing so poorly. If I were the more vetran players, Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, I wouldn't stand for it and take matters into my own hands to represent.

Weapon_R
08-15-2004, 03:43 PM
The U.S. olympic team record is something crazy like 102-3

shtock99
08-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Wasn't the first. They played an exhibition game against Spain (I think) earlier this month and got spanked too.

it was italy they got beat by earlier this month

liquid1010
08-15-2004, 04:05 PM
serves carmello right for being so cocky :D

Hakkola
08-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by davidI
It's tough when you have to play defence and the officials call traveling :rofl:

:rofl: Hahaha, so true too

Krayzie
08-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I can't believe they are playing so poorly. If I were the more vetran players, Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, I wouldn't stand for it and take matters into my own hands to represent.

:werd: but for some reason i still have this feeling that they are going to be taking the gold medal home this year. They can, they just gotta stop under estimating other teams

accordboi_02
08-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Sorry I wasn't clear - first loss in the Olympics since they sent the Dream Team!

davidI
08-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear - first loss in the Olympics since they sent the Dream Team!

No, it was the same team that lost to italy. That was just exhibition play though so it wasn't an 'olympic loss'. This was the first olympic loss since NBA players were allowed to play.

accordboi_02
08-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by davidI

No, it was the same team that lost to italy. That was just exhibition play though so it wasn't an 'olympic loss'. This was the first olympic loss since NBA players were allowed to play.

Haha guess I wasn't clear again - I know it was the same team that lost to Italy, but it's now officially the first US Olympic team to lose in the Olympics since the US started sending all-stars. :D

habsfan
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM

Haha guess I wasn't clear again - I know it was the same team that lost to Italy, but it's now officially the first US Olympic team to lose in the Olympics since the US started sending all-stars. :D

lol i understood what u meant the first time you said it, so no biggie

davidI
08-15-2004, 10:02 PM

My bad. You can read it both ways I guess, you were right the first time though :thumbsup:

Ajay
08-16-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The U.S. olympic team record is something crazy like 102-3

Think that might be a SLIGHT inaccurate considering the US didn't start dominating Olympic basketball until they started with the Dream Team in 1992 with MJ, Magic, and Bird.

The US plays a different game....the huge difference with the US and the rest of the world is the rest of the world relies on the fundamentals of basketball and fundamentals is what's gonna get you the points and put you in the W column.

When Puerto Rico who has one decent player (Arroyo) and who shouldn't have even been in the Olympics can beat a team that is the 'best' in the world that says alot.

Personally I hope the US get's spanked like they did in the World Championships....GO CANADA GO!!!!

accordboi_02
08-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

Think that might be a SLIGHT inaccurate considering the US didn't start dominating Olympic basketball until they started with the Dream Team in 1992 with MJ, Magic, and Bird.

That's still a crazy record, especially when considering that the US' record since sending dream teams is 24-1.

So before the all stars, the record was still 78-2. Only twice since basketball has been in the Olympics has the US not won the gold.

bigboom
08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

The US plays a different game....the huge difference with the US and the rest of the world is the rest of the world relies on the fundamentals of basketball and fundamentals is what's gonna get you the points and put you in the W column.

When Puerto Rico who has one decent player (Arroyo) and who shouldn't have even been in the Olympics can beat a team that is the 'best' in the world that says alot.

Personally I hope the US get's spanked like they did in the World Championships....GO CANADA GO!!!!

how can you be saying fundamentlas is their problem when you have Tim Duncan inside? The only thing I see the US lacking is a pure outside shooter, if they had ray allen or even picked up Michael Redd it would completely draw the defence out. Thats all the US really needed to run over everyone in the olympics.

B17a
08-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bigboom

how can you be saying fundamentlas is their problem when you have Tim Duncan inside? The only thing I see the US lacking is a pure outside shooter, if they had ray allen or even picked up Michael Redd it would completely draw the defence out. Thats all the US really needed to run over everyone in the olympics.

They seem to be lacking motivation from what I saw. They played sloppy, couldn't shoot to save their lives and turned the ball over a million times. It has nothing to do with fundamentals and all about who wants to win. Puerto Rico wanted to win bad and they played hard and hussled. THe US was sloppy, slow and shitty. I am even more sure now that they will not win gold.

davidI
08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I think it is the opposite of fundamentals. The U.S. players have a ton of skill and every move in the book. The problem is that they are not cohesive and don't play as a team. Plus it doesn't help that they're not used to driving against actual defence and having to play defence themselves.

Si_FlyGuy
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
NBA players shouldn't be allowed in the Olympics same goes for hockey. Let the amateur players have their day.

Ya the US needed some outside shooters and they need to learn how to play team defense. They also needed an energy guy like Keon Clark or someone who'd work hard. They don't deserve to win.

B17a
08-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
NBA players shouldn't be allowed in the Olympics same goes for hockey. Let the amateur players have their day.

No way, don't let the selfish US "dream" team of b-ball taint your mind. Did you not see how proud and happy the Cdn Olympic hockey team was in Salt Lake? It sure looked to me like they were proud to represent Canada.

bigboom
08-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by B17a

They seem to be lacking motivation from what I saw. They played sloppy, couldn't shoot to save their lives and turned the ball over a million times. It has nothing to do with fundamentals and all about who wants to win. Puerto Rico wanted to win bad and they played hard and hussled. THe US was sloppy, slow and shitty. I am even more sure now that they will not win gold.

motivation and determination yes. you cant be lacking fundamentals when you have brown as coach and duncan as a captain. it jsut wotn happen. they all know how to play the game its jsut the determination and drive. you can see their sloppy play. its like they are all sitting and waiting for someone to take over. brown is also a very defensive minded coach it just doesnt help when everyone is lazy.

Si_FlyGuy
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Like an ESPN article that I read today said. They should've sent the Detriot Pistons to represent. At least they'd play like a team. Mind you, Wallace and Hamilton refused the invite though.

Btw...I'd pay to watch Phil Jackson try and coax these guys into a triangle offence.

kenny
08-16-2004, 03:23 PM
A funny pic related to this thread haha. :rofl:

Melinda
08-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Holy crap the USA just about lost to greece! It was within 6 points for the last 10 mins of the game! Haha I dont care that they won, coming that close to losing to greece when the USA is supposed to be thebest team in the world makes that a loss for them in my books. Good for greece, I'm routing for anyone other then the USA to win basketball this year

bigboom
08-17-2004, 03:21 PM
im cheering for the US to win. and everyone knows its not whether you win by an inch or a mile...a win's a win :)

i was mad cuz at the club they only get basic cable so no ESPN and CBC cut out for regular programming so I didnt get to see the final 30 seconds.

max_boost
08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Bottom line, they shouldn't lose! LOL

Jim Rome said it best, 'Don't you know that we are the Americans, don't you see our jerseys? We don't have to play defence to beat you, we are the best team and can do whatever we want' or something along those lines.

And A.I coming out and playing a leadership role, what's up with that? :dunno: :rofl:

hyperwhite
08-18-2004, 10:43 AM
The states lost to iraq in an exhibition game about a week before the olympics started. so they've lost to a country that they invaded and one of there own commonwealths. :rofl:

bigboom
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
The states lost to iraq in an exhibition game about a week before the olympics started. so they've lost to a country that they invaded and one of there own commonwealths. :rofl:

ummm they didnt lose to iraq...they lost to italy

Xtrema
08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Holy crap the USA just about lost to greece! It was within 6 points for the last 10 mins of the game! Haha I dont care that they won, coming that close to losing to greece when the USA is supposed to be thebest team in the world makes that a loss for them in my books. Good for greece, I'm routing for anyone other then the USA to win basketball this year

Same here, I would love to see USA basketball walk away without a medal.

But this team is no dream team. Most Tier 1 players don't want to come. Then the didn't pick the potential good players from Tier 2 instead picking marketable players who are not consistant or over-hyped. On top of that, they never play like a team.

max_boost
08-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
The states lost to iraq in an exhibition game about a week before the olympics started. so they've lost to a country that they invaded and one of there own commonwealths. :rofl: Iraq has a basketball team? Didn't Iraq beat Portugal in Soccer or something?:eek:

Ichigo
08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

I got sooo ripped off watching that game... I think I was watching CBC channel and the last 30 seconds of the game. They decided to cut to the news.. I was soo disapointed..

PGTze
08-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo

I got sooo ripped off watching that game... I think I was watching CBC channel and the last 30 seconds of the game. They decided to cut to the news.. I was soo disapointed..

Yeah that was a real piss off :guns:

bigboom
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Iraq has a basketball team? Didn't Iraq beat Portugal in Soccer or something?:eek:

yeah that was the first upset of the olympics was iraq beating portugal. iraq doesnt even have a bball team

hyperwhite
08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Iraq has a basketball team? Didn't Iraq beat Portugal in Soccer or something?:eek:

shit maybe thats what i was thinking about, lol. my bad

RiCE-DaDDy
08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
USA Almost got beat again haha

Ichigo
08-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
USA Almost got beat again haha

What event was that?

car
08-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
im cheering for the US to win. and everyone knows its not whether you win by an inch or a mile...a win's a win :)

i was mad cuz at the club they only get basic cable so no ESPN and CBC cut out for regular programming so I didnt get to see the final 30 seconds.

:werd: ....30 seconds to go....BAM ...antique road show:banghead: :banghead:

RiCE-DaDDy
08-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Ichigo

What event was that?

Basketball Mens

hyperwhite
08-21-2004, 12:55 PM
BAHAHA Lithuania beat the US

sexualbanana
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Close game though. Personally, I think Marbury should've done a better job guarding Jaskievicius (the damn good shooter). He was going behind the screen, giving him enough space and time to drain those 3's. If he had gone over the screen, it would've cut down on the space and time for him.

RiCE-DaDDy
08-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Marbury should sit his ass down haha, his shot is horrible!!!!
LB shoudla played lebron more

max_boost
08-21-2004, 03:10 PM
The Americans lost again!:clap: :cry: :rofl:

iceburns288
08-21-2004, 09:22 PM
They got owned today by Lithuania...:cry: :cry: :cry:

This is just sad.

toyboy88
08-21-2004, 11:42 PM
USA lost to Lithuania!!!! earlier today:drama:

toyboy88
08-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
USA lost to Lithuania!!!! earlier today:drama:

EDIT: OOPS DIDN"T C SECOND PAGE LOL

RiCE-DaDDy
08-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Wade played awesome
and Jefferson finally did something right tonight haha

Jynx
08-22-2004, 02:33 AM
hey that was a fairly good effort from USA, they lost that game in the last 2 minutes cuz that one dude got on fire

he was draining them frm all over the place
tuff loss
but im sure they'l come back strong next game