PDA

View Full Version : adding a supercharger to 3800 series

Ph00lish
08-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, my grandpa who can no longer drive just gave me his 2001 Buick Park Avenue base. Unfortuanatly he is not a performance nut so he opted to not choose the ultra(supercharged). Now the car is a nice car, but not enough pep for me, so im looking to add the eaton supercharger they normally have on the ultra. I am wondering what else would have to be done? Are they basically the same engine just with and without the charger or do they have different manifolds, headers, etc. to put up with the power of the supercharger that I can replace? To go along with that notion, what can be done to cheaply and effectively add horsepower to a 2k1 GM 3.8L V6? All information would be greatly appreciated!!

kwikshifter
08-15-2004, 05:58 PM
No you cannot add a supercharger to your engine economically. Yours is an L36 3800 (n/a) and the other is an L67 (s/c). While the big parts are the same, most of the engine's internals are different in the two versions. You are further ahead to buy a s/c engine (if you really must) and install it. It will be a lot cheaper than trying to rebuild the one you have to L67 specs.

You should be able to pick up a decent s/c motor for between 1500 and 2000. You will need to replace or reprogram your computer as well.

If you just want to build the one you have, you can do the regular go fast stuff to it. Have the heads done, get headers, yada, yada. You should be able to get it up to stock L67 horsepower There are only about 20 hp in the difference. But that s/c whine................. :love:

Gary
86 Fiero
Series 1 3800 s/c powered

barmanjay
08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
checkout this site:
www.l67swap.com