PDA

View Full Version : Installing boost and a/f gauges -- which shops do this?

SpeedStar
11-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Hey,

I finally got my dual a-pillar gauge pod and now I need to install my a/f and boost gauges. I would do it myself, but it would probably result in disaster :confused: .

So I need your help in directing me to a shop(in Calg. of course) that could install these things correctly and for a reasonable price.

Once I have those installed I can install my manual boost controller and crank up the boost!:thumbsup: :burnout:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

J.

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Youre in airdire so Im assuming youre looking for a calgary shop, if you feel like making the trip to red deer give Cam a call at Diablo Power Products
403-346-7960

buh_buh
11-08-2002, 02:42 PM
give LUDELVR a pm.
he'll do it for cheaper than a shop.:thumbsup:

Ben
11-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
give LUDELVR a pm.
he'll do it for cheaper than a shop.:thumbsup:

HAHA, Whats the rate? He can install mine if he wants.

buh_buh
11-08-2002, 03:04 PM
i dunno, you'll have to ask him yourself.
Or let him find this thread.

finboy
11-08-2002, 03:22 PM
i need to fix mine, turns out the prev owner just wrapped it around a wire, and sometimes it pulses to the beat of the stereo.

:guns:

LUDELVR
11-08-2002, 04:45 PM
shop rate? What's that!! ahhahaha, anyway, yah, I've done a few of them. Did the gauges on spyderman's eclipse too. Cept his boost gauge was way off!! hahaa, what was he boosting again? 20 something hahahahahahahah and like 7 in vaccum!!! hahahah

civic_el
11-08-2002, 04:58 PM
I can fix it no problem $35, I'll hook up both properly!

LUDELVR
11-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SpeedStar
Hey,

I finally got my dual a-pillar gauge pod and now I need to install my a/f and boost gauges. I would do it myself, but it would probably result in disaster :confused: .

So I need your help in directing me to a shop(in Calg. of course) that could install these things correctly and for a reasonable price.

Once I have those installed I can install my manual boost controller and crank up the boost!:thumbsup: :burnout:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

J.

U need to mount the pillar pod too right? As well as make all the necessary connections to the gauges?

LUDELVR
11-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by civic_el
I can fix it no problem $35, I'll hook up both properly!

Man, that's pretty cheap

SpeedStar
11-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

U need to mount the pillar pod too right? As well as make all the necessary connections to the gauges?

Yeah, nothing is set up for the gauges yet. There are some holes in the a-pillar from the previous owner's pod, but my pod still needs to be drilled and trimmed to fit. The connection part seems to be the most difficult part of the task and the most likely part where I'd screw up if I installed it myself.

I have no clue how I would run the lines for the boost gauge through the firewall and no idea on how to wire up the a/f gauge because I suck at wiring.....

That's why I'm willing to pay to take it to a shop and have it done correctly. Or if LUDELVR is qualified enough maybe he's the man I should be asking..... ;)

boi-alien
11-08-2002, 05:41 PM
yea dudelvr will do it for you, ghetto hookup stylez!!! :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
11-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SpeedStar

Yeah, nothing is set up for the gauges yet. There are some holes in the a-pillar from the previous owner's pod, but my pod still needs to be drilled and trimmed to fit. The connection part seems to be the most difficult part of the task and the most likely part where I'd screw up if I installed it myself.

I have no clue how I would run the lines for the boost gauge through the firewall and no idea on how to wire up the a/f gauge because I suck at wiring.....

That's why I'm willing to pay to take it to a shop and have it done correctly. Or if LUDELVR is qualified enough maybe he's the man I should be asking..... ;)

haha, yah, I've done quite a few and they're all still working!! haha. Anyway, PM me and we'll talk it over man:thumbsup:

4G63Power
11-08-2002, 05:59 PM
I'll make it very simple for you...

To install you A/F gauge follow these instructions...

http://www.cadvision.com/whitecd/CADSM/af-drl.html

Note the instructions for the 12V power source, as this will be the same for the Boost Gauge.

Next for the Boost Gauge, this link will tell you exactly where to tap in

http://www.myzero.com/gauges/boost.html

To route the tube to your a-pillar, first unscrew and remove the drivers side speaker cover. Next get a screwdriver in behind the a-pillar and move around till you run into a clip, gently pry and it will pop. There should be about 5-6 clips. Remove the A-pillar. Next remove the bottom of the drivers side dash peice (4 screws, 2 from the front, 2 from the bottom). Now look up under the dash and see where other wires pass through the firewall, as this will be the same route to follow. Hook up the engine side, as per the instructions in the link above. Inside, route the rest of the tubing above the steering column, across and up by where the speaker cover meets the a-pillar. Using zip ties secure the tube so it does not kink. Attach pod to a- pillar, and drill holes to route the wire up through the pods. Make connections, push in guages, and your done.

If you have questions or need help let me know.

turboMiata
11-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Install it yourself. It is sooooooo easy.. Just don't cause a vacuum leak with the boost gauge (rare).

lsvetc
11-08-2002, 11:03 PM
I heard tunerworks was pretty good with that stuff, but I think the sure bet would be speedville. I think they know what there doing and they need the business, and that means awsome rates!!!:thumbsup:

B18C
11-08-2002, 11:24 PM
I don't think Tunerworks does installs anymore.

buh_buh
11-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by B18C
I don't think Tunerworks does installs anymore.
:werd:
you beat me to it

DSM Power
11-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Egads man do it yourself like any self-respecting DSMer would! :D

SpeedStar
11-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
Egads man do it yourself like any self-respecting DSMer would! :D

Well I would but...

I have no garage, the weather sucks, I have minimal tools, and I'm a lazy ASS:D

SpeedStar
11-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Actually I might end up doing this myself, I read over the instruction 4G63 Power posted and it might be something I could handle. But I'll probably end up needing a friend's help anyway to borrow a garage and some tools.

This may possibly end up as a spring project because the weather really sucks right now anyway...

DSM Power
11-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Yeah when it gets warmer you'll have to schedule a visit in the DSM Power garage. :D

4G63Power
11-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Yeah given the weather, you would probably be keeping the boost at stock levels anyways. So might as well just wait till we get some warmth.