PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel drive

rfg
08-16-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking about buying a rear wheel drive car. It has A.B.S.. traction control, and driving stability do I still need winter tires?

roopi
08-16-2004, 01:56 PM
You'll be fine with all seasons.

Loose
08-16-2004, 02:00 PM
i disagree

limecorrado
08-16-2004, 02:03 PM
i Never Had a problem all Winter with My Nissan 240Sx. 4 All-Seasons and 2 Sand Bags

G
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
From experience I thought I could get away with all seasons on my G35 last winter. The first snowfall I couldn't stop the car, it kept sliding. I bought some Artic Alpins and it was like night and day. Once you have winter you would never go back to all seasons. Calgary gas snow for 4-5 months a year why would you not invest in tires dedicated for the season? I justify it because I know an accident will cost me more than a $1000 i spent.

1badPT
08-16-2004, 03:47 PM
I have a FWD and the stock tires I had were useless for winter driving. I remember what sold the tires for me - I was at the intersection by the Sunterra up in Signal Hill in the left turn lane. Practically everyone else in front of me was also stuck but I couldn't help think if I came to this intersection and it wasn't an incline, I wouldn't have stopped in time.

Winters went on the next week and I'll never be without them. All seasons are good for plowed roads, but no good on ice or deep snow. In Calgary and Hamilton there is plenty of deep snow and ice on the roads so not having a good set of winters means your chances of an accident increase a lot.

PS - traction control / stability control / ABS don't really help winter driving. Traction / Stabilty are meant to help you accelerate (accidents on ice rarely happen because of a lack of acceleration :dunno: ). ABS assumes you have SOME grip and just makes best use of that grip to slow the car down in a straight line. On ice, you could have any or all tires with no grip whatsoever, how will the ABS help you now? Winter tires help you keep grip during cornering and braking - lose the ability to do that and THAT is what will get you into an accident.

Gspotracer
08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Anyone who has had a car(Fwd or Rwd) with a set of 4 good quality winter tires will agree that it is well worth it.

:thumbsup:

max_boost
08-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Call it safety, peace of mind, or whatever, winter tires own!!!

I'm never going through winter without a set of winter tires again on any of my vehicles. My parents can get away with it on their AWD vehicles but I'll most likely buy them a set for their stubborn attitudes.

chibi_chas
08-18-2004, 12:21 AM
get winter tires . good investment you dont want to slide thorugh an interersection and hit someone

Mike09
08-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Let's see $600 for good tire's..... or you hitting something that could cost alot more. Real tough call!!

lint
08-18-2004, 08:54 PM
All Seasons = No seasons. Get winters.

BigMass
08-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lint
All Seasons = No seasons. Get winters.

very much agreed. Why not anyways? In the end you end up buying the same amount of tires either way since if you get dedicater summer/winter you minimize the wear on your tires