PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Cruising

KingofBling
08-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am just new to this site and I was curious to know if anyone in Calgary likes to get together and go cruising the town from time to time? I love driving my civic and cranking the tunes, any other civic fans in Calgary who feel the same? I will have a picture of my ride up shortly.

Later:english: :burnout:

ryder_23
08-17-2004, 03:13 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54199

welcome to beyond

78si
08-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Nothing beats sunday night crusing in Winnipeg.. Yes Winnipeg!
Portage Ave is packed with thousands of cars, bikes and people. If your going to be around Winnipeg try and stay for a summer Sunday night! I wish Calgary had something like it!:)

403Gemini
08-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Portage Ave is packed with thousands of cars, bikes and people. If your going to be around Winnipeg try and stay for a summer Sunday night! I wish Calgary had something like it!:)

yup "Cruise night" something i hafta make it out to sometime ;) lets cannonball run to winnepeg one saturday then participate on cruise night the next night haha :D

AllGoNoShow
08-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

yup "Cruise night" something i hafta make it out to sometime ;) lets cannonball run to winnepeg one saturday then participate on cruise night the next night haha :D

Cruise night is friggin tight but the polioce have been trying to shut it down lately because too many stupid kids are goign and street racing and its ruining it for everyone :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

403Gemini
08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Cruise night is friggin tight but the polioce have been trying to shut it down lately because too many stupid kids are goign and street racing and its ruining it for everyone :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

*sigh* that always seems to happen

better not happen on sunday :guns:

sputnik
08-19-2004, 07:59 AM

Uh the cops CANT shut down cruising. They are just doing more "random" safety spot checks.

Shutting down cruising would mean they would have to shut down Portage Ave. Which would be like shutting down 16th Ave N here.

KoukiS14
08-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 78si

Thats about the only thing i miss about winnipeg

QuasarCav
08-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by KoukiS14

Thats about the only thing i miss about winnipeg

Besides being able to throw quarters at the peelers instead of loonies!

KoukiS14
08-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Besides being able to throw quarters at the peelers instead of loonies!

hmmmm wouldnt know much about that, i dont frequent such establisments

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Uh the cops CANT shut down cruising. They are just doing more "random" safety spot checks.

Shutting down cruising would mean they would have to shut down Portage Ave. Which would be like shutting down 16th Ave N here.

Yah they can, they can give everyoen tickets for whatever that is, supporting street racing, I forget what the legal name is, they can give everyone tickets for disrupting business on Portage, start impounding cars if they don't pay the tickets... theres lots of ways the police can shut it down

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
And shutting down POrtage is nothign liek shutting down 16th, Winnipeg isn't as economically active has Calgary is, 16th ave night or day is busy in Calgary, Portage dies off at die, jus tliek on Sundays, half the shops closed *starting to stay open now* and on Holiday Sundays, man tourists are the only people on the roads.

rage2
08-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Winnipeg cruising is nuts. I can't believe how many cars come out at night, insane.

If the cops want to curb cruising, they can make a cruising law and ticket anyone for driving around the same road more than once. Laws like that exists in tons of big cities in the states, and has effectively shut down the popular cruising spots.

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
:), anwyays, I wonder if we would have enough support for a sat/friday night cruise around here, but I think we have to many stupid kids that would turn it into a big street racing event

sputnik
08-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Winnipeg cruising is nuts. I can't believe how many cars come out at night, insane.

If the cops want to curb cruising, they can make a cruising law and ticket anyone for driving around the same road more than once. Laws like that exists in tons of big cities in the states, and has effectively shut down the popular cruising spots.

:werd:

I saw signs like that when I was in Virginia Beach.

"It is illegal to pass this sign twice in an hour"

sputnik
08-19-2004, 12:39 PM
And shutting down POrtage is nothign liek shutting down 16th, Winnipeg isn't as economically active has Calgary is, 16th ave night or day is busy in Calgary, Portage dies off at die, jus tliek on Sundays, half the shops closed *starting to stay open now* and on Holiday Sundays, man tourists are the only people on the roads.

:english:

what does "economically active" have to do with the usage of a major thouroughfare? If memorial or the 4th ave flyover were closed on a sunday I am sure people wouldnt be too happy about that here. And there is NOTHING going on in downtown calgary on a Sunday night.

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 02:01 PM

what does "economically active" have to do with the usage of a major thouroughfare? If memorial or the 4th ave flyover were closed on a sunday I am sure people wouldnt be too happy about that here. And there is NOTHING going on in downtown calgary on a Sunday night.

Dude youve never fucking been to Winnipeg for a cruise night have u? fuckoign moron, the only thign out are the fuckign cars for the show, they coudl easily shut that shit down, thats the fuckign point

KoukiS14
08-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Dude youve never fucking been to Winnipeg for a cruise night have u? fuckoign moron, the only thign out are the fuckign cars for the show, they coudl easily shut that shit down, thats the fuckign point

you're a moron....sputnik is from winnipeg, as am i, so stfu noob

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 02:33 PM
you stfu, even rage prooved u wrong

Ben
08-19-2004, 02:58 PM
you stfu, even rage prooved u wrong

KoukiS14
08-19-2004, 02:59 PM
He made a comment in regards to the topic...that hardly proves me wrong. Besides, i didnt even say anything, lol. A law like that will never fly. Sunday night crusing is a part of winnipeg and will never be shut down. Its been going like this for decades

AllGoNoShow
08-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks Ben :P, Kouksi, ur right it may not get passes, but they can still give tickets out for stunting and shit and give os many out that peopel woudlnt want to come anymore

GTS Jeff
08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks Ben :P, Kouksi, ur right it may not get passes, but they can still give tickets out for stunting and shit and give os many out that peopel woudlnt want to come anymore ben was probably making fun of u. ha-ha!

and :english:

AllGoNoShow
08-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
ben was probably making fun of u. ha-ha!

and :english:

I know he was hence the :P and stop post whoring

sputnik
08-20-2004, 02:50 PM

Born and raised in Winnipeg... moved out to Calgary late in 2001. The whole reason the cops arent too happy with it is the few idiots who race around and just act like general morons.

ALSO... it clogs up the primary east/west corridor through the city. People are now forced to go down side roads to avoid the jam.

Personally I think it is great. Grab a lawn chair, sit on the sidewalk and meet tons of people. It is generally quite behaved without any fights or BS (other than the typical car-talk-BSing).

:D

AllGoNoShow
08-20-2004, 03:02 PM

The whole reason the cops arent too happy with it is the few idiots who race around and just act like general morons.

Personally I think it is great. Grab a lawn chair, sit on the sidewalk and meet tons of people. It is generally quite behaved without any fights or BS (other than the typical car-talk-BSing).

:D

Well thanks for beating around what I said then finally saying the same thign, and yah, its sweet too, even if your not by the main group of cars, you can still see a bunch of them leaving and joining the main group if your somewhere else on the main drag

sputnik
08-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Please quote yourself where you agreed with me. Perhaps a summary of some of your quotes would help.

I think the only thing I agreed with you on is the fact that Winnipeg cruising is fun.

And 16th Ave N is the place to hang out on a Sunday night? People dont care is businesses are open. The only reason I brought up 16th Ave is the fact that it is a major thoroughfare for quite a few people all of the time. In Winnipeg Portage is a MAJOR East/West thoroughfare.

ur right it may not get passes, but they can still give tickets out for stunting and shit and give os many out that peopel woudlnt want to come anymore

You can get stunting tickets ANYTIME during the week. That wont keep people from driving. The stunting tickets will keep people from acting like idiots and generally keep people safer. It WONT stop cruising.

Sure the cops could slow down cruising with making it illegal to drive in circles. However Portage Ave is 20km long and it would be pretty hard to enforce. Besides if cruising lulled for a bit the cops would back off and it would start again. And if it was illegal to cruise on Portage people could just move to Henderson Hwy, Pembina Hwy or Regent Ave.

Its a difficult thing to enforce in a big city for an activity that only requires a length of road. Its not like the Sunset strip where people are driving by clubs and restaurants.

Cruise night is friggin tight but the polioce have been trying to shut it down lately because too many stupid kids are goign and street racing and its ruining it for everyone

Contrary to non-local gossip and the media. Portage Ave on Sunday nights has VERY LITTLE street racing. Most people cruise around Portage to meet up with friends. And if they are going to street race they will do it in the more common locations such as Springfield Rd, Pipeline Rd, Brady Landfill Rd or the industrial park just off Keewatin (north of Logan).

Hopefully Winnipeg gets a track where people can race legally and prove to their friends how "fast" their car really is.

Yah they can, they can give everyoen tickets for whatever that is, supporting street racing, I forget what the legal name is, they can give everyone tickets for disrupting business on Portage, start impounding cars if they don't pay the tickets... theres lots of ways the police can shut it down

Right.

"Sir, do you realize that having a big wing on your car and a bunch of anime stickers is a CRIMINAL offence? I'm sorry we will have to impound your car for 'illegal use of rice and looking like a moron' the sheer ugliness of your car makes people want to RACE away from you"

Sounds like the cops will be all over that one soon.