PDA

View Full Version : Werid whining noise after sub/amp install...??

SAiamNE
08-18-2004, 11:24 AM
I recently installed some new subs and an amp.
After the installation i keep hearing a weird whining noise ONLY when the car is running. If i don't have the car running there is no whining whats so ever, so im thinking it has something to do with the alternator.
This whining noise also get's louder the higher i rev the car, again leading me to the alternator.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what it might be or what i can do to get it to shut the hell up??

Thanks

EK 2.0
08-18-2004, 11:27 AM
its the alternator whine...welcome to the world of Mobile Audio...

are your power and signal wires running on opposite sides of the car??...

make sure you have really well insulated power and signal wires that will quell a lot of that noise....

SAiamNE
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes they are running on opposite sides of the car.
What can i go out and buy to insulate my power wire? It's just sitting in the engine bay with nothing covering it...

Also when we were putting back the carpet and floor boards on the side of the car we accidently put a screw right through an RCA wire. We took it apart and resoldered them and put on some shrink wrap. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks for the quick reply.:D

EK 2.0
08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
I would replace the RCA...I mean its a cheap fix for MUCH better sound...

as for the power wire...unfortunately there isnt a whole lot you can do...I mean everything on that car that uses electricity will cause interference...make sure your Alt grounds are clean and in good condition I know that helped a lot in my install...as well as make sure all your factory ground wires are in good condition as well...

jerzboy
08-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Using an oxygen free RCA should clean up the sound....unfortunatly RX7's are notorious for engine noise....you can also use a ground loop isolator to eliminate the whine

Gonthro
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
the problem could be at the amp end of it too, if any of the speaker wires or rca's cross over the power wire anwhere it could create that sound

SAiamNE
08-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the help guys..

eblend
08-18-2004, 10:02 PM
do these ground loop isolators work alright? i got the same problem, and don't want to go and dig out everything in my car to relocate it...basicly my wires do run on the oposite sides of the car..but onfortunately i had to overlap in one spot at the back and was wondering if thsi ground loop thing will work?

Simple
08-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by eblend
do these ground loop isolators work alright?

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with them.

I just redid my entire system, and had a nasty whine despite following "proper" wiring methodology. I added a ground loop isolator that I had sitting around and it took ALL the noise away...

Hey if it works, then who am I to question it?

BigBearWest
08-19-2004, 12:27 AM
where would i buy a ground loop?

Simple
08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
I figure you should be able to get a ground loop isolator at most places which sell car audio...