PDA

View Full Version : My friend thinks

blueripper6
08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
that the things that your tire gets bolted to are called the struts, like some cars have 4 and some have 5..
arent they called lugs?
hence the name lug nuts?

what is a strut then.

errmm someone just told me they bolt onto the hub, and that the struts are connected to the hub.

Can someone please explain all those damn parts for me.. heh.

Gspotracer
08-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Yeah your friend is wrong

Struts are pretty much shocks on most FWD vehicles:nut:

1badPT
08-19-2004, 01:02 AM
http://www.wrightparts.com/store01/images/hub219.jpg
The things that look like threaded bolts are called studs. Wheels are held onto the the studs by lug nuts. The round thing that the studs poke out of is called the hub. The hub is mounted on the end of each axle.

hjr
08-19-2004, 01:23 AM
jesus. wheels are bolted to the brake drum/disc using either studs and nuts, or bolts. the brakes are mounted on the hub. the hub is what it mounted to the strut in a macpherson strut equipped car.

www.howstuffworks.com - has the answeres to most newb questions

heavyD
08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
A strut is essentially a shock. The difference is that a strut is typically used in the front of a vehicle and not only acts as the shock but acts as a suspension component in the car's overall chassis. Struts generally are a cheaper way to go for auto manufaturers as going with fully independant front suspension (eg. 1990 Hondas) means the chassis has to be stiffer and more suspension components are required which means more money. Honda joined everyone else with the latest model civics and RXS's, etc. and now use struts to save money.