PDA

View Full Version : canadian medal count

rice_eater
08-20-2004, 03:47 AM
have we won anything yet? i'm in europe right now and they dont show the medal counts by countries

Weapon_R
08-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Only a very dismal lone Bronze medal.

Melinda
08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
We just won a silver medal in the women's trampoline! Haha our medal count is two! Go Canada! :clap:

7thgenvic
08-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
We just won a silver medal in the women's trampoline! Haha our medal count is two! Go Canada! :clap:

do they even broadcast that? :( GO CANADA

Melinda
08-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I just watched it on CBC so yep they do

Gonthro
08-20-2004, 10:24 AM
we're tied with 10 other countries for 16th position :thumbsup:

Boosted_TL
08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
The Olympics are always good to watch, but this year I think they are lacking entertainment.

Not just cause of Canada doing bad, but all teams in general..

One highlight, is that Captain from the US womens Volleyball team.... DAYYYUM thats a tight ass

:bigpimp:

1badPT
08-20-2004, 01:18 PM
What kind of entertainment do you mean? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/ups/budaz/jerk.gif

Boosted_TL
08-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah thats it buddy !! You hit it right on the nail.....

:drama:

speedracer
08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/results/

hjr
08-20-2004, 03:11 PM
wow, we suck soo bad. its not even funny. the aussies that have 1/2 the population of us are in 4th. thats it. im going down under

QuasarCav
08-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by hjr
wow, we suck soo bad. its not even funny. the aussies that have 1/2 the population of us are in 4th. thats it. im going down under

There budget is 4 times greater.

hjr
08-20-2004, 03:26 PM
did i mention awsome beaches, jdm cars, hot women, nice weather???? DOWN UNDER!!!!1 yaaaayyyyyyyyy

Khyron
08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Sharks, most of the poisonous spiders and snakes and kangaroo jack.

Even in a huge city you have to watch for funnel web spiders.

Khyron

car
08-20-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/interactives/photo_galleries/cartoon_gallery/images/010_medals.jpg

three.eighteen.
08-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL

One highlight, is that Captain from the US womens Volleyball team.... DAYYYUM thats a tight ass

:bigpimp:

is that logan tom or whatever? or that chick with lots of piercings...either of them are friggin hot though

1badPT
08-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey at least we are on par with Azerbaijan... :zzz: :thumbsdow :(

iceburns288
08-21-2004, 12:29 AM
woot... US pwns everyone with 40...:D

BTW there is one hot gymnast and she's American too!

rogue
08-21-2004, 01:02 AM
mmmmmmmm gymnast mmmmmmmmmmmmm. We suck at summer olympics compared to the aussies but how do you think their winter olympic program is? :D still it is kinda sad.

Gonthro
08-21-2004, 02:49 AM
Rowing
Cameron Baerg
Thomas Herschmiller
Jake Wetzel
Barney Williams

Men's Coxless fours

canada takes another silver... thats 2 silver 1 bronze we have now :D

rice_eater
08-21-2004, 02:51 AM
muahaha...even romania has more than us...GO OLD COUNTRY:D

pinoyhero
08-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I bet a friend, more than 3 golds, I can't believe I' mgoing to loose

badseed
08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Yeah we won a silver medal in trampoline, I beleive her last is "Cockburn" !!

Represent Cockburn!!

///M3
08-21-2004, 10:40 PM
man is this ever sad. :cry:

accordboi_02
08-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by badseed
Yeah we won a silver medal in trampoline, I beleive her last is "Cockburn" !!

Represent Cockburn!!

I'm still trying to figure out how her name is pronounced "Coburn"... maybe it's because I'm tired, but are there any other words in English where the "ck" is silent?

1badPT
08-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Many last names are made "etiquitely correct" by pronounciation... so yes its spelled COCK burn, but pronounced co-burn. My family's original name when they first came to North America was also changed for similar reasons...

finboy
08-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Many last names are made "etiquitely correct" by pronounciation... so yes its spelled COCK burn, but pronounced co-burn. My family's original name when they first came to North America was also changed for similar reasons...

you should see some of the lastnames i run into at my job :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"cockerham"
"hiscock"
"helmut schwakhoffer"
"sukochoff"
"woodcock"

nosegrindR
08-22-2004, 11:42 AM
We just got a gold in tumbling, it's our first medal ever in this category :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
08-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by nosegrindR
We just got a gold in tumbling, it's our first medal ever in this category :thumbsup:

Finally, I need to see three more gold to win my bet.

Melinda
08-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Finally, I need to see three more gold to win my bet.
I figure we'll get a few more from the rowing events next week

badseed
08-22-2004, 12:32 PM
The guy that won the gold for us is from Calgary!

Represent.

rice_eater
08-22-2004, 02:03 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaahhaahahahahahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: we won in the 800m wheelchair dash :burnout: aww this is fucking hilarious :rofl:

Gonthro
08-23-2004, 11:06 AM
We're up to 5 medals now, we just scored another silver

Artistic Gymnastics
GOLD
Kyle Shewfelt
Men's Floor

Diving
BRONZE
Blythe Hartley
Emilie Heymans
Women's Synchronised high board diving

Rowing
SILVER
Cameron Baerg
Thomas Herschmiller
Jake Wetzel
Barney Williams
Men's Coxless fours

Trampoline
SILVER
Karen Cockburn
Women's Individual

Wrestling - Freestyle
SILVER
Tonya Verbeek
Women's 48-55kg

gongSHOW
08-23-2004, 12:26 PM
we should have another one too, how did that guy still get the bronze when he fell, :bullshit: (two judges gave him a 9.5, the rest were 9.2s, 9.1s.)

hyperwhite
08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
i don't know if these officials and judges are anti canadian or just stupid. there was that rowing DQ, the boxing match that the judges were clearly favouring the other guy and now this :dunno:

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 10:01 AM
nother gold for canada

Cyclist Muenzer wins Canada's 2nd gold

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Edmonton's Lori-Ann Muenzer won Canada's first gold medal in track cycling in the Olympic sprint event on Tuesday.

Melinda
08-24-2004, 02:03 PM
We just won a silver in men's 3 m diving! Whoo hoo! :clap:

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 02:07 PM
just gave away a medal in mens baseball, played agianst cuba in the semi's so now we play japan for the bonze and in the prelims they waxed us.

mo_virgin
08-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Ok within 10 FUCKING MINUTES so much shit happened

We were up on cuba in baseball, then bottom of the 8th, we let them score 6 !!! WTF !!! Then last inning 8-5 for cuba with canada at bat and two bases loaded, the guy can't make it happen for the tie.

In diving we coulda won the gold, but no! our diver had to completely miss one of his dives to end up second.

and felicien in track... i don't even want to talk about that shit.

Canada sucked at the olympics and our athletes are chokers.

turboMiata
08-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Felicien fell in the 100m hurdles final. Dammit!

Melinda
08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Ok within 10 FUCKING MINUTES so much shit happened

We were up on cuba in baseball, then bottom of the 8th, we let them score 6 !!! WTF !!! Then last inning 8-5 for cuba with canada at bat and two bases loaded, the guy can't make it happen for the tie.

In diving we coulda won the gold, but no! our diver had to completely miss one of his dives to end up second.

and felicien in track... i don't even want to talk about that shit.

Canada sucked at the olympics and our athletes are chokers.
Alright big shot, you get up there so we can rag on you like you are on them. People make mistakes and there are people that are better than our olympians out there. Get off your high horse and support our teams, they are doing well in my opinion and they are trying. She fell on the hurdles cause she was trying too hard. And some of the best divers in the world were making bigger and more mistakes then our canadian and professionals in the field thought he's only get bronze. So again, you get up there and be perfect with the pressure of the biggest competition in the world on your shoulders.

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 03:26 PM

Alright big shot, you get up there so we can rag on you like you are on them. People make mistakes and there are people that are better than our olympians out there. Get off your high horse and support our teams, they are doing well in my opinion and they are trying. She fell on the hurdles cause she was trying too hard. And some of the best divers in the world were making bigger and more mistakes then our canadian and professionals in the field thought he's only get bronze. So again, you get up there and be perfect with the pressure of the biggest competition in the world on your shoulders. :werd: if these guys suck so much why aren't you there to show them hows its done bigshot.

RiCE-DaDDy
08-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
:werd: if these guys suck so much why aren't you there to show them hows its done bigshot.

He's just disapointed, we all are. Our first initial reactions are always "WTF!?"

sputnik
08-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

on the FIRST hurdle... hell... i could do that to represent my country.

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

on the FIRST hurdle... hell... i could do that to represent my country.

yes, and it was quite obvious that she was EXTATIC and very pleased with her attempt.

Merkur
08-24-2004, 04:04 PM
mistakes happen, at least she was good enough at something to even represent us. And really we don't suck that bad, if there were medals for 4th's and 5th's, we would dominate, 4th in the world, damn thats bad eh?

mo_virgin
08-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Alright big shot, you get up there so we can rag on you like you are on them. People make mistakes and there are people that are better than our olympians out there.

You're right... i AM a big shot. I bet you know nothing about being at the top of your game and competing in sports. Yes i know what its liked to be ragged on. I know what it is like to make mistakes at an international level. Thats why i know that these mistakes are inexcusable. Not making it past the first hurdle, giving up 6 points in the bottom of the 8th...

Get off your high horse and support our teams, they are doing well in my opinion and they are trying.

You are obviously not an athlete. Doing well DOESN'T cut it!!! this is the Olympics. Why don't we give them a ribbon for trying? while were at it why don't we make canada's motto "its ok as long as you tried"

And some of the best divers in the world were making bigger and more mistakes then our canadian and professionals in the field thought he's only get bronze.

Oh... what? other divers are making mistakes too? i guess that makes it ok for our athletes to make some mistakes just to keep up right? and i didn't understand what you're last sentence was.

These athletes are weak in the head, honestly! Why do you think canada does worse in the games compared to similar sized countries?... is it because we don't have enough funding? is it because we don't train enough? maybe its neither one of those. Maybe because we're choking when it comes to clutch time.

I'm not a pessimist, but they made mistakes and they failed. I still have alot alot of respect for these guys and girls, but patting them on their back and saying its ok cause they tried isn't gonna cut it... not for me, and i know they don't want to hear that shit either cause they are there to be the best.

mo_virgin
08-24-2004, 04:17 PM
:werd: if these guys suck so much why aren't you there to show them hows its done bigshot.

What kind of dumbass argument is that? I guess just because they are better than me at their sport means they have the right to screw up!

I mean why have a coach then? The coaches arn't better than the atheletes at their sport, but they still yell at them, and rip into them when they screw up.

Canada sucked!!! look at our potential and look at where we ended up.

In the olympics, Second place is the first loser, nobody is gonna care or remember you .

1badPT
08-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Canada isn't doing as bad - seriously. USA is a much warmer climate (more chances for their athletes to work out in natural conditions), 10 x the size (more people to draw talent from) and more funding. The Americans are hovering around 70 medals right now, we're at 6 which is pretty good when all things are considered(just under 10%).

The games are as much a test of the physical as they are the mental and if they broke in the final moments of competition, then they don't deserve a medal.

But I don't think think you have the right to dismiss their performance as inexcusable, but I can certainly understand your frustration with their performance. They did their best and that's all they can do, sometimes its good enough for a medal, sometimes it isn't. You can't expect medals or count them before they are awarded because the best of the rest of the world is competing for exactly the same thing.

FiveFreshFish
08-24-2004, 04:33 PM
In the olympics, Second place is the first loser, nobody is gonna care or remember you .

In the olympics, 4th place is the 1st loser.

Melinda
08-24-2004, 05:12 PM
You are obviously not an athlete. Doing well DOESN'T cut it!!! this is the Olympics. Why don't we give them a ribbon for trying? while were at it why don't we make canada's motto "its ok as long as you tried"
I am an athelete there dude, or I was before I was in a car accident last year. But I know that in sports, winning isn't everything because if it was, there would only be one person in every sport so that they would always be the winner. Sometimes trying your best (whether you screw up or not) is really all that matters because you learn from it and someday down the road you will be good enough to beat the best out there. Pressure and stress does take a number on people and if you think that making mistakes at an international level is inexcusable, why the heck are you calling yourself a big shot since you claim to have made mistakes yourself? No one's perfect and demanding perfection of someone when you yourself aren't perfect in my opinion is the ONLY thing that is inexcusable in your rant about sports and their athletes.

bigboom
08-24-2004, 05:26 PM

I am an athelete there dude, or I was before I was in a car accident last year. But I know that in sports, winning isn't everything because if it was, there would only be one person in every sport so that they would always be the winner. Sometimes trying your best (whether you screw up or not) is really all that matters because you learn from it and someday down the road you will be good enough to beat the best out there. Pressure and stress does take a number on people and if you think that making mistakes at an international level is inexcusable, why the heck are you calling yourself a big shot since you claim to have made mistakes yourself? No one's perfect and demanding perfection of someone when you yourself aren't perfect in my opinion is the ONLY thing that is inexcusable in your rant about sports and their athletes.

what she said...you gota cut them some slack. shit happens. sure we may not be performing as well as the other countries but still you gotta look at these athletes as people. you cant be so brash about it just becasue she fell...you think she wanted to fall? dude you gotta chill out...

badseed
08-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

Fell, man she bailed hard, she practically booted the hurdle over with her heel and took that russian chick out with her. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:rofl:

civic_si_angel
08-24-2004, 10:44 PM
:drama:

i havent been paying that much attention to the olympics, the summer ones arent my fave anyways..really now, tho, no picking on our athletes, they were good enough to make it...:clap:

RiCE-DaDDy
08-25-2004, 10:48 AM
summer oly dominate the winter! more competitors and almost the whole world participates wheareas only like half the world in the winter

Gonthro
08-25-2004, 11:06 AM

What kind of dumbass argument is that? I guess just because they are better than me at their sport means they have the right to screw up!

I mean why have a coach then? The coaches arn't better than the atheletes at their sport, but they still yell at them, and rip into them when they screw up.

Canada sucked!!! look at our potential and look at where we ended up.

nobody is gonna remember these olympics in 6 months from now so whats the diffrence?

Hakkola
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm unhappy with Canada's performance as well, it's comical.

I think they should get rid of the silver and bronze medals as well, they didn't win. Historically in the olympics there was 1st place and then everybody else.

In six months I'll still remember these olympics, in 3 years I'll still remember them. Canadian atheletes need more funding. Canada is doing poorly in these olympics but I don't place all the blame on the atheletes.

Gonthro
08-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I'm unhappy with Canada's performance as well, it's comical.

I think they should get rid of the silver and bronze medals as well, they didn't win. Historically in the olympics there was 1st place and then everybody else.

In six months I'll still remember these olympics, in 3 years I'll still remember them. Canadian atheletes need more funding. Canada is doing poorly in these olympics but I don't place all the blame on the atheletes.

i can think of much better ways for the goverment to spend my tax money than on these bragging rights sports.

Hakkola
08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
I can't, I see way too many fat fucks lying around, sport needs to be a bigger part of every day life. There are far worse ways to spend money than in sport. For instance sponsorship scandals etc...

mo_virgin
08-25-2004, 12:49 PM

nobody is gonna remember these olympics in 6 months from now so whats the diffrence?

Maybe nobody will remember the olympics... but we sure as hell will remember the big names and stories, we could have remembered that canada has the fastest female hurdler in the world, we will remember if the united states doesn't win the gold in basketball, we will remember micheal phelps for winning so many golds, and I for one will remember to watch as much beach volleyball as i can.

Melinda
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Rack up another bronze from the kayak! Van Koeverden placed third in the 1000m K1 race was tight, canada came out too fast and got passed late in the race but he still held onto the bronze! :D

inawiJ
08-27-2004, 01:20 AM
canada needs way more funding for their athletes because without funding there not gonna improve its a sad sad day when 1 american has more medals than our entire country