PDA

View Full Version : totally messed up the timing on my friends colt

EstoMax
08-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some HELP. today i was tryin to help my friend install his tach , so i thought i could hook the tach wire up to the distributor somewhere, so i proceeded to unhook it (like a retard.. i didnt think i would fuck up timing.) so i got the distributor loose and it clicked, the rotor on the distributor was spinning freely now.. so basically i had no idea where it needs to be to hook it in.

We tried a few trial and error runs with it.. but there are no marks on the rotor , so we couldnt get the car to run.

can a shop fix this? and how much could it cost? because basically the rotor could go anywhere in the 360 degrees :|

Max:cry:

hjr
08-20-2004, 05:53 PM
big mistake. you always have to mark the distributer when you pull it out. you need to get a manual. it will tell you how to time the whole engine. there is a process to getting the distributer back to the right place.

funny thing is, you dont touch the distributer when installing a tach. you get your signal from the coil, haha.

GTS Jeff
08-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by hjr
big mistake. you always have to mark the distributer when you pull it out. you need to get a manual. i will tell you how to time the whole engine.

funny thing is, you dont touch the distributer when installing a tach. you get your signal from the coil, haha. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hahaha oh man k dont worry about the rotor. it doesnt affect timing. what affects timing is the angle that your entire distributor is at. when u loosen the bolts that hold it down, u can move it back and forth a bunch on the bracket. what u need to do is get a timing gun, and wiggle the distributor til the timing is correct.

EstoMax
08-20-2004, 07:00 PM
umm jeff u sure about that? im pretty sure the rotor affects timing because i can set it at any location i want...

and the distributor itself i put back to where it was, (i figured out the location from the dirt lines that were around the screw so i got it back to original position..) i can only move it like half inch either way from center anyway.

tnx
Max

Ichigo
08-20-2004, 07:31 PM
You have to find top dead centre of your first firing piston. Then you repoint your #1 firing position on your cap/rotor..(dont remember which one does the adjusting) and voiloa.. somewhat of a timed vheicle..

I'll have to re-word this procedure out.. But this is pretty much how you retime it with limited resources..

GTS Jeff
08-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by EstoMax
umm jeff u sure about that? im pretty sure the rotor affects timing because i can set it at any location i want...

and the distributor itself i put back to where it was, (i figured out the location from the dirt lines that were around the screw so i got it back to original position..) i can only move it like half inch either way from center anyway.

tnx
Max edit: are we even talking about the same thing here?

edit2: are u sure u should be working on cars?

hjr
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
come on guys, timing is effected by both rotor position and cap (and therefor distributer) position.

EstoMax
08-20-2004, 11:44 PM
yea thanks hjr, thats how i understood it..

jeff.. ur a good guy, but everyone makes mistakes so u dont gotta come in dissin right away like that.

now. when i set cyl 1 at TDC, should i set the rotor right at the spark? or a little b4 or after?

max

GTS Jeff
08-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by EstoMax
yea thanks hjr, thats how i understood it..

jeff.. ur a good guy, but everyone makes mistakes so u dont gotta come in dissin right away like that.

now. when i set cyl 1 at TDC, should i set the rotor right at the spark? or a little b4 or after?

max yo i aints be playa hatin. i just think we aint talkin right, aight?