PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Everyday?



max_boost
08-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Do you drink Coffee everday?
ARe you addicted to Coffee?

Recently I have a tough time of going through the day without a Starbucks or Tim Horton's. It doesn't matter if I'm tired or well rested, it's just part of my day.:dunno: Is this bad for long term health? It can't be worst than smoking or drugs since I do neither.

Ben
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
I dont drink coffee.

I told myself early on that I never want to be one of those people who cant get through the day without the morning coffee.

All that tells me is that you've got bad sleeping patterns, are stressed, and have a lack of willpower. Hell, I hear people all the time at the office "I havent had my morning coffee yet so please excuse me."

Weak. Thats no excuse.

If you enjoy the taste well so be it, I have no problem with that aside from the terrible breath you people have afterwards, and the nice stained teeth, but for those who religiously cannot live life without their "Timmies" in the morning, haha, damn, I pity you. I've seen someone get fired for that. Late so much cause they stop at tim hortons in the morning regardless of if they're gonna be late or not.

My thoughts however I know will DEFINATLY not be shared with the majority. I dont care however. I prefer fresh Juices in the morning if I had to drink something.

max_boost
08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Interesting thoughts Ben......

None of that really applies to me but I've never worked in an office setting so can't really dispute what you are saying.

benyl
08-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I just read recently, that coffee makes your synapses misfire. So while you are more alert after drinking it, you a not a smart.

So basically, the offices downtown are full of alert idiots. lol

Everrything is all about moderation. As long as you are pumping coffee directly into your veins, you shouldn't have any long term affects.

Ben
08-21-2004, 04:58 PM
I think a lot has to do with your succeptability to Caffeine. I could drink 12 cokes and go straight to bed. Granted I'd likely have to get up a few hours later to take a leak, but caffeine does jack shit to make me stay awake.

little_wan
08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I drink coffe just about everyday. I'm not addicted but it sure makes my morning go by a lot faster.
But coffee's not healthy at all. Causes raise in blood pressure, loss of minerals (like calcium) and so on and so on. But so does everything else in life

SwitchBlade
08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree with Ben it doesnt affect me whether i drink it or not. Anything with Gurana will shake you up a bit tho.

1badPT
08-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I don't drink and it doesn't really have an effect if I do. I used to drink it almost every day. Can't even remember the last time i had coffee. :dunno:

Shaolin
08-21-2004, 08:05 PM
i don't like the taste of coffee.. although this chick i work with bought me one of those French Vanilla coffees and those were pretty good.. but that's as much coffee I'll drink for the rest of the year..

1badPT
08-21-2004, 08:08 PM
You'd probably get just as pleasant a taste experience if you had the flavour shot without the coffee... most of those flavoured coffees have so much syrup in them that the coffee is insignificant. :dunno:

xrayvsn
08-21-2004, 09:22 PM
I was like you, Ben. Never touched the stuff for years, then I started having a bit to help me stay up while I studied, and that eventually led to me having a cup of coffee daily. I didn't even like the taste of it at all initially, but I think its something I like to have in the morning.

Its not like I become a grouch without it, and I would not forsake coming on time to work for it, but I find now if I don't have a coffee, I get a migraine. Its probably best not to start drinking it in the first place.

max_boost
08-21-2004, 09:30 PM
My Coffee drinks are one of those Cafe Mocha, French Vanilla, English Toffee, Caramel Macchiato (sp) or if it's a Hot Day, Timmy's Ice Cap or Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino will do the trick. I don't like traditional Coffee+Sugar+Cream:D

Khyron
08-21-2004, 09:42 PM
I didn't start drinking coffee until after I quit smoking. I still don't like regular timmy coffee, but I drink it on occasion.

The thing I noticed is the morning or afternoon coffee runs are a non-smokers "smoke break" - it gets you out of your desk and moving around. After I quit the smokes, I didn't take breaks at all and I really noticed a change in overall mood. So now I force myself to - there's a reason why taking breaks is required by law.

But yah, anything you HAVE to have, be it smokes, coffee, cocaine, porn, french fries, internet, whatever - it can become a problem. I've seen a few people fired for internet addiction, and my grades got hurt while playing muds all night (right Henry?)

Khyron

PH1PH1
08-21-2004, 09:58 PM
i neva knew that coffee could make u slow .. like in the head .. :banghead: wa bout tea?

chibi_chas
08-21-2004, 10:44 PM
coffee stains your teeth really bad .

EK 2.0
08-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by PH1PH1
i neva knew that coffee could make u slow .. like in the head .. :banghead: wa bout tea?


some teas have WAY more caffiene than that of a comparable cup o' java...

sillyd
08-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Caffeine is like nitrous for your body. For me it really works. I drink green tea every morning, but when i need to boost, fresh ground coffee is the best drug in the world.

BigMass
08-22-2004, 10:47 AM
If i dont have coffee every day i will get a headache and feel like throwing up. Yeah im addicted but fuck it. Im not going to get home from work at 7pm, eat supper, shower then go to bed at 9pm just so i can wake up without being tired the next morning. I dont live life so all i do is work and sleep and nothing else. I would rather be dead. So i make sacrifices and am able to get by with doing my own thing with the goodness of caffeine

awd
08-22-2004, 11:21 AM
"Coffee is bad for you."

- Huge misconception, in moderate amounts coffee is not bad for you.

"Coffee stains your teeth."

- My dentist told me, "If you keep the coffee in your mouth for 15 minutes before swallowing it might.", "If you are really paranoid, just rinse with water after every cup."

But, if your choice of coffee are the sweet, rich ones (read: frapcrappachinos, caramel macchiatos or if you fill them with heavy cream and sugar) then watchout -- all that cream and sugar is terrible for you.

I drink 2-3 cups of coffee with skim milk every morning and will continue to do so.

Melinda
08-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I dont drink coffee.

I told myself early on that I never want to be one of those people who cant get through the day without the morning coffee.

All that tells me is that you've got bad sleeping patterns, are stressed, and have a lack of willpower. Hell, I hear people all the time at the office "I havent had my morning coffee yet so please excuse me."

Weak. Thats no excuse.

If you enjoy the taste well so be it, I have no problem with that aside from the terrible breath you people have afterwards, and the nice stained teeth, but for those who religiously cannot live life without their "Timmies" in the morning, haha, damn, I pity you. I've seen someone get fired for that. Late so much cause they stop at tim hortons in the morning regardless of if they're gonna be late or not.

My thoughts however I know will DEFINATLY not be shared with the majority. I dont care however. I prefer fresh Juices in the morning if I had to drink something.
^^^ :werd: that fits me to a T. Don't drink the stuff, never will. I dont want my body to have to depend on a drug to function through the day. Juice works well to get me going in the morning

C4S
08-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I will have at least ONE starbuck + Tim or Second cup .. or .. whatever ..

big expense .. :banghead:

Gondi Stylez
08-23-2004, 01:35 AM
well i drink 2-3 cups per day but usualy during the school year! i think it helps the day go by faster and keeps me focused

but then again i can drink a cup of coffee just b4 hitting the sack and ill be out cold! my caffine tolerence is pretty good so its not like i need it to keep me WIDE AWAKE! but it does give me a boost!

FiveFreshFish
08-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by C4S
I will have at least ONE starbuck + Tim or Second cup .. or .. whatever ..

big expense .. :banghead:

Haha! Reminds me of this swf animation:

Clicky (http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/star_schmucks.swf)

:D

1badPT
08-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish


Haha! Reminds me of this swf animation:

Clicky (http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/star_schmucks.swf)

:D

Foamy rocks, I always like the ones with that kid who's tripping out on way to much prescription medication. :D :clap:

KoukiS14
08-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I think a lot has to do with your succeptability to Caffeine. I could drink 12 cokes and go straight to bed. Granted I'd likely have to get up a few hours later to take a leak, but caffeine does jack shit to make me stay awake.

Same Here. Doesn't do a damn thing.

R34GTRVSPECII
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
If i dont have coffee every day i will get a headache and feel like throwing up. Yeah im addicted but fuck it. Im not going to get home from work at 7pm, eat supper, shower then go to bed at 9pm just so i can wake up without being tired the next morning. I dont live life so all i do is work and sleep and nothing else. I would rather be dead. So i make sacrifices and am able to get by with doing my own thing with the goodness of caffeine

ya your slower then a sh!t in the morning if you don't get your coffee and a Krispy kream.

Personally I started drinking coffee in University, now I love it some much some that I bought an espresso machine to supplement my addiction!

QuasarCav
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
For me it's part of a routine. I get to work and get a coffee, Have done that for 2 years.

It's like smoking, albeit not as addictive but once you work it into your routine it's nearly impossible to work it out.

Ive tried switching to Tea and cutting that down to one cup a day but I dont know if that helps.

Nothing like the taste of a fresh double double though:)

awd
08-24-2004, 03:16 PM
sidenote: Tim Hortons tastes like a brown crayon dipped in hot water -- thats not what I call coffee.

QuasarCav
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by awd
sidenote: Tim Hortons tastes like a brown crayon dipped in hot water -- thats not what I call coffee.


Well then what do you call coffee?

Favorite store bought:

Favorite homemade:

JustinL
08-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I just read recently, that coffee makes your synapses misfire. So while you are more alert after drinking it, you a not a smart.


I've actually heard the oposite of that. Caffeine can actually improve your performance in intellectual tasks and physical endurance tasks. There is an increase in lipolysis (fat burning) and an overall increase in resting metabolic rate.

There is always bad to go with the good though. Caffeine will blunt your absorption of calcium, which is needed for bone growth and maintenance. Caffeine is also not a replacement for real rest, so the tiredness will catch up with you.

I'll admit to enjoying a nice cup of coffee nearly every day. It's not just the taste that I like, but it motivates me to get stuff done. And, like others have mentioned it gets me away from my desk for a few minutes. Around the office people are more receptive of "going for a coffee" than "going to walk around".

Facts about Coffee (http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/caffeine.html)

yeerj
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Each cup of coffee excretes 75mg of calcium out of your body. So for those of you drinking 2-3 cups per day you are losing 150-225mg of calcium per day.

Best thing to do is take a calcium supplement. I'd recommend a calcium citrate since it is better absorbed than the other types of calcium.

I actually take a new calcium citrate called Osteocit. I like it because it disperses easily in liquid, so I just drop a tablet in my protein shake. By the time I finish the shake the Osteocit has already dispersed into the liquid and don't even realize that I'm taking a tablet.

nismodrifter
03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
ughhhhh..coffee...after an all nighter back in October during midterms I crashed HARD...and I mean HARD, like something I've never experienced before. I had a midterm on a friday, which I studied late late on Thursday for. Then I had another on Saturday, which I stayed awake for by loading up on coffee. During the test I was shaking like a crack addict mofo, came home, and just died. Shivering, body shaking, felt like vomiting but luckily didn't.

Have not touched a cup of coffee to this day and now even the smell makes me sick. Coke and other caffeine, sure why not, but coffee..:barf:

abyss
03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I stopped drinking coffee too, I used to have 2 cups/day+ when I worked at Canadian Tire, that plus the 60 hour work weeks was too much for me, I went home sick one day with the same symptoms, shaking, dizzy etc. I passed out on my bed and slept for like close to 16 hours. I still drank coffee after that though, but I just quit recently, I drink green tea every morning instead now. I may have a cup of cofee on the weekend cause I still like the taste, but one cup a week is much better than 14 cups a week.

/////AMG
03-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Used to buy a French Vanilla when ever I could, or even a timmys umm Ice Cap.

Now I'm in the Uk I never drink any of it cause they don't have a coffe shop or something even 5 blocks. So I guess thats a good thing, I also don't drink tea (only in India cause its soooo good).

sputnik
03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My Coffee drinks are one of those Cafe Mocha, French Vanilla, English Toffee, Caramel Macchiato (sp) or if it's a Hot Day, Timmy's Ice Cap or Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino will do the trick. I don't like traditional Coffee+Sugar+Cream:D

I would be more concerned about the sugar, fat and calories you are consuming rather than the coffee.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_info.asp

Tyler883
03-07-2005, 01:35 PM
......um.......


......er........

GOOD GOD MAN! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COFFEE!

....thank you....

;)

bol
03-08-2005, 10:42 AM
For me coffee is a social thing. Every morning when I get to work some of us go and get a cup. It's part habit, part fun. Caffiene really doesn't do much for me but a warm drink in the morning especially on a winter day really does make you feel better.

cycosis
03-15-2005, 12:48 AM
for me, coffe is part of life. being that i work at starbucks i understand a lot more about it then the average joe. ill have approximately 4 ounces of espresso a day mixed of course and it affects alot. enough to give me a pleasant buzz but not enough to send me into a shaking crack state like nismodrifter. i did that once though, it was my third shift there and i had 20 shots in 5 hours. i was shaking so badly they had to sit me down in the backroom, partly cause they couldnt stop laughing, partly cause i was scaring customers:D

Carfanman
03-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I dont need coffe, but I like to get a dunkaciino (SP?) whenever I can because they taste so dman good!
Occasionally Ill have regular coffe if Im REALLY tired and I have to be up anyway, but I think it only works because of the placebo(sp?) effect.

Healthy Coffee
03-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Hello All!

I couldn't help but notice all the coffee lovers here and just had to jump in to inform you all that there is new trend in North America that is taking coffee lovers by storm!

I have found an incredibly great tasting gourmet 'healthy coffee' that is truly amazing. The best thing about this coffee is that it has less caffeine than decaf (8.4 mg where decaf has 10-20 mg/cup). It contains an ancient 2000 year old proven ingredient know as the 'King of Herbs' and is more powerful than Ginseng. It is called Red Reishi or Lingzhi in the Asian community. The scientific name is 'ganoderma' and if you go to www.pubmed.com or Google and type ganoderma in the search for ganoderma you will find hundreds (pubmed.com) and over 50,000 (Google) of 3rd party verification on its healing properties.

This stuff tastes GREAT!

It boosts your immune system and gives you more energy and stamina than your traditional caffeine SPIKE.

This coffee is truly amazing and did I mention it tastes GREAT!

If you want to try some free samples then fill out the form at http://www.javahealth.biz and one of my associates will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,

Dave P
03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I hate coffee, But I love coffee Breaks

hockeybronx
03-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
I hate coffee, But I love coffee Breaks

:werd: x 1 million

Carfanman
03-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Healthy Coffee
Hello All!

I couldn't help but notice all the coffee lovers here and just had to jump in to inform you all that there is new trend in North America that is taking coffee lovers by storm!

I have found an incredibly great tasting gourmet 'healthy coffee' that is truly amazing. The best thing about this coffee is that it has less caffeine than decaf (8.4 mg where decaf has 10-20 mg/cup). It contains an ancient 2000 year old proven ingredient know as the 'King of Herbs' and is more powerful than Ginseng. It is called Red Reishi or Lingzhi in the Asian community. The scientific name is 'ganoderma' and if you go to www.pubmed.com or Google and type ganoderma in the search for ganoderma you will find hundreds (pubmed.com) and over 50,000 (Google) of 3rd party verification on its healing properties.

This stuff tastes GREAT!

It boosts your immune system and gives you more energy and stamina than your traditional caffeine SPIKE.

This coffee is truly amazing and did I mention it tastes GREAT!

If you want to try some free samples then fill out the form at http://www.javahealth.biz and one of my associates will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,


You registed just to tell us that??
I call SPAM

Do you search google for "coffee bad health" and then sign up and post this?

Zero102
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I hate SPAM....
But I like coffee :)

I'm not a huge coffee freak, maybe 3 cups a week. I find it's nice to have once in a while in the morning, moreso if I was up late the night before or are tired for some other reason.

It's extra nice in the winter, since you can head out the door with a nice warm cup of coffee when it's bloody freezing outside.

I do suffer from hypertension though, so I'm going to have to switch to decaff :(

On days where I drink coffee my blood pressure is between 10 and 35 points higher... not good.