PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Tubing?

Chrisw
08-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever done this before? Taken a blow-up dingy and gone down the Bow River? It seems like it would be a blast if the weather is nice. Anything I should watch out for?:dunno:

sleeper
08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh its the best, me and my buddies go every Sunday in the summer weather permitting. Make sure you wear or carry a life jacket. Reason 1 its the law but also the water can be very dangerous if you fall in. It moves much quicker than you think. I usually enter the bow after the damb in inglewood and go to sikome lake. It takes anywhere between 3 to 4 hours. Also bowness park to the zoo its also very nice route. :thumbsup:

78si
08-21-2004, 09:47 PM
If you go on the elbow, you can start at glenmore dam and float to stanley park or lindsay park.... Life jackets aren't really enforced.. :)

Chrisw
08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
is the elbow river slower, and calmer?

jfry98
08-22-2004, 04:09 PM
can i come i have some lube

tulit
08-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Ive done the bow from just after the bears paw dam to kensington and once to princess island. Just make sure you get out before the wiers. It takes a while to do that route (about 6 hours going slow), but its a blast. Bring some kind of ore otherwise you might run up onto the rocks or hit one of the piers on the bridges along the way. The water is never more than a few feet deep, but a lifejacket is a good idea. The fire department runs up and down the river all day. I'm not sure what kind of fine they give you, but probably not worth going without one... They dont seem to care about alcohol either as long as your not doing anything dumb (at least they didnt say anything)

I hear the elbow is significantly slower...

BumpinTalon
08-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Me and buddies raft from Ghost Damn to Wildcat Island and then the bridge on highway 22... it's a fuckin blast. Waters cold though. we usually don't bring life jackets and we usually go in those $10 rafts you get from Canadian Tire that have like a 120lbs maximum capacity. If you capsize you will get your ass kicked by the current though slamming you into the bottom, but unless you are really drunk you should be able to work your way to the side unless you are in the deeper part of the river (then you should hope you have a lifejacket).

If you really want to make a good rafting trip, start at Ghost and spend the night at Wildcat. It's a blast. It takes 2 hours from Ghost to Wildcat and about 2 more from Wildcat to the bridge. It would take you at least 4 more to reach Calgary.

Seanith
08-24-2004, 10:46 PM
120lb max rafts? Isn't that asking for trouble? :dunno:

BebeAphrodite
08-25-2004, 12:51 AM
lol, it was funner than I figured it'd be. Too bad I don't think I'll get another chance to take out the raft I just got, ha ha ha

legendboy
08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Me and a couple buddys went with the owners of CJ's years ago. We started at bowness park and stopped at princess island. It took like 4 boring hours. We all got drunk and started to let the air out of our rafts so by the time we got the princess island we were just floating in the water :rofl: