PDA

View Full Version : Everything Below the "D"

js11288
08-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I've been driving for about seven months now and just got my license last month. I never had an official course or anything, I've just been taught by my parents. But, now that I have my own car and a license, I'm curious as to when you're supposed to use "Neutral", "2", and "1" on the Automatic transmission?

driftkingAE86
08-23-2004, 10:50 AM
You don't know that! I'm 14 and I've known that for years.

The N is neutral you cant shift directly into reverse or you'll break the trans
And the 1 and 2 is for pretending you have a manual trans

Gonthro
08-23-2004, 10:51 AM
yeah, 1-2 is essentially useless for normal useage, it just good for launches ect...

403Gemini
08-23-2004, 10:54 AM
lol i only know how to drive standard so i dont even know haha i think its for gettin up hills better or something haha

QuasarCav
08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
"2" is for engine braking on hills or for more power.

1 is for even more engine braking and it holds the shift to 2nd until close to redline.

basically, leave it in D unless you are going down a huge hill and you dont want to overheat your brakess.

js11288
08-23-2004, 02:46 PM
So if I'm going down a really long, steep hill, shift into 2 and brake when needed? Or with it being in 2, I won't have to brake as much? Then when the hill is over, do you just normally shift back to "D"?

Skylinelover
08-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Does it matter can't you just keep it in D all the time

js11288
08-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I do, but I was wondering what the 1 and 2 were supposed to be used for.

Skylinelover
08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Well like other people said they are for steep hills I guess?

QuasarCav
08-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Find your owners manual. Look in the "driving the car" section.

As the explaining will be there, but it's pretty much what I said.

Seanith
08-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Isn't 1 good for ice too since you get more torque from it or something??

GTS Jeff
08-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
yeah, 1-2 is essentially useless for normal useage, it just good for launches ect...

haha id like to hear u try to explain that one.

GTS Jeff
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by js11288
I've been driving for about seven months now and just got my license last month. I never had an official course or anything, I've just been taught by my parents. But, now that I have my own car and a license, I'm curious as to when you're supposed to use "Neutral", "2", and "1" on the Automatic transmission? theyre there to look pretty. ignore everything but P,R, and D no matter what u are doing.

ZorroAMG
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
Isn't 1 good for ice too since you get more torque from it or something??

LOL nope...that is why on more sophisticated autos there is a winter/summer mode where winter mode starts the car moving in 2nd always to avoid excess slippage on snow and ice.

Beginner drivers need only worry about P, R, D as GTS Jeff says...2 and 1 is mainly for underpowered cars trying to make it up steep hills...
;)

Seanith
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
oh i see.. some tool told me that years ago and it stuck in my head :rofl:

M_Power
08-23-2004, 07:27 PM
1, 2, and 3 can also be used when towing so that the auto doesn't shift as much going up and down hills. Also 1st is good when launching or docking a boat.

90_Shelby
08-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Neutral is for reving the engine at stop lights. Neutral is also used to rev the engine up before slamming it into drive for racing or spinning your tires...............:angel: :angel:

GTS Jeff
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by M_Power
1st is good when launching i keep hearing this, but no one can explain why. :nut:

Seanith
08-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i keep hearing this, but no one can explain why. :nut:

i think because it won't shift up until you let off the throttle or you hit the shift point (redline??)

benyl
08-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Wow, I have never seen so much horse poop in a thread.

1. RTFM
2. Having an Auto in 1 = same as D when you are stopped. It doesn't help launching. It is the same.
3. Most auto transmissions, if put in 2, will start in second gear for winter starts. In an older car, this may not be the case.

Stick with P, R and D.

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

i think because it won't shift up until you let off the throttle or you hit the shift point (redline??) ok theres a few things:

1. launching has nothing to do with how long its in 1st gear. launching an automatic entails torque-braking.

2. when its in D, its in 1st gear from a standstill and will stay in 1st gear when the gas pedal is mashed.

3. contrary to ricer opinion, redline is NOT the optimal shift point for a lot of cars. if the car shifts from 1 to 2 before redline and while ure flooring it, its probably better that way. let the computer do its thing.

if u guys want to launch your automatics hard, then do this:

1. dont touch the f-ing shifter.
2. step on the brakes as hard as u can
3. step on the gas as hard as u can
4. rls the brakes really fast
5. resist the urge to touch the shifter
6. feel dumb

:D

V6-BoI
08-24-2004, 01:04 AM
ok theres a few things:

1. launching has nothing to do with how long its in 1st gear. launching an automatic entails torque-braking.

2. when its in D, its in 1st gear from a standstill and will stay in 1st gear when the gas pedal is mashed.

3. contrary to ricer opinion, redline is NOT the optimal shift point for a lot of cars. if the car shifts from 1 to 2 before redline and while ure flooring it, its probably better that way. let the computer do its thing.

6. feel dumb

Heh or you can do the Neutral drops and blow up your transmission

blueripper6
08-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by driftkingAE86
You don't know that! I'm 14 and I've known that for years.

The N is neutral you cant shift directly into reverse or you'll break the trans
And the 1 and 2 is for pretending you have a manual trans

HAHAHAHAHA... ownage!!

anyways, leave it in D, 1 and 2 will not help u launch. In my car it feels like the same power untill high revs(oooooohh)

lol.

Xtrema
08-24-2004, 08:05 AM
2 and 1 are nice when you drive a 80HP Tercel and living in San Francisco.

If you need to drop to 2 or 1 to tow, you shouldn't be towing with this car in the first place.

In Calgary D is and occasional 3 or 2 engine braking in winter on icy road is all you need to know.

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
occasional 3 or 2 engine braking in winter on icy road is all you need to know. hm id like to hear that one explained too. engine braking on icy roads? :nut:

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 11:19 AM
ok theres a few things:

6. feel dumb

auto's are set to shift for the most economical revs, not the best performance.

maximus
08-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Ya, just leave it in D. Don't become one of those idiot hardcores that shifts 1-2-drive every time. Dosn't make you cool. I can't stand people that do that.

Texas
08-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Unless its tiptronic....

if it is a 4 speed auto....you can do city driving in third....They say that you can use neutral when you are in a slide to take the drive out of the drive wheels...it IS effective.

HighVelocity
08-24-2004, 04:14 PM
About the only thing you'd ever need to venture out of the standard D/P/R is if you have a second drive (sometimes 3) which runs without the overdrive gear. Can be good for towing. I don't think this option exists on many new vehicles anymore though.

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

auto's are set to shift for the most economical revs, not the best performance. just like your life is set by generalizations eh?

haha fuel economy is way more influenced by load than by rpms. so when u are flooring it, it wont matter what the revs are, ure burning thru gas. unless u are cruising, the auto wont go to "economical revs"

and as i said, most cars arent at their fastest when shifted from redline anyways.