PDA

View Full Version : All/P.Boxster Cabrios dangerous when lightning??

V_gts
08-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Hi, I wonder does the Porsche Boxster have any safety or something against lightning strike that lets the lightning go to the ground?( when soft top is enabled).

Just thought of it because it is lightning here, and then saw this article about the c.l.k.

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2003/April-2003/April-2003-5/April-30-03-p2.htm

Thanks for any info.

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 11:10 AM
its common knowledge that all cars are good in a storm cuz of the rubber tires. its hard to ground electricity thru a thick insulator like a set of tires.

bigboom
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
its common knowledge that all cars are good in a storm cuz of the rubber tires. its hard to ground electricity thru a thick insulator like a set of tires.

errrr thats quite a common misconception...

Rubber tires keep you safe in a car because they do not conduct electricity.
Nope. In strong electric fields, rubber tires actually become more conductive than insulating. The reason you are safe in a car is because the lightning will travel around the surface of the vehicle and then go to ground. This occurs because the vehicle acts like a Faraday cage. Michael Faraday, a British physicist, discovered that a metal cage would shield objects within the cage when a high potential discharge hit the cage. The metal, being a good conductor, would direct the current around the objects and discharge it safely to the ground. This process of shielding is widely used today to protect the electrostatic sensitive integrated circuits in the electronics world.

(from howstuffworks)

canadiandaytona
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Actually its because the car is a Metal cage-- and you can't have a electrical charge inside a metal cage...

canadiandaytona
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
haha same time

V_gts
08-24-2004, 11:18 AM
hmmzz, so instead of the "soft top"it will rather hit the metal cage, because of the atraction to the ground?

ICEBERG
08-24-2004, 02:03 PM
So what would happen if you had this in your Boxster.:D ;) Would you get zapped.:D

QuasarCav
08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
You would get shot.

V_gts
08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
So what would happen if you had this in your Boxster.:D ;) Would you get zapped.:D

hehe Yeah thats what I am trying to find out m8. :angel: :D

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
In strong electric fields, rubber tires actually become more conductive than insulating. :confused:

everything else makes sense, but how does rubber turn into a conducter?

Essence
08-24-2004, 08:23 PM
it becomes a better conducter then the air around it:)

chibi_chas
08-24-2004, 09:14 PM
well i guess yur not safe becuase it isnt a "cage"

ZorroAMG
08-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Are current tires (high performance or not) still steel belted? If yes, that wouldn't really be a good insulator...

GTS Jeff
08-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Essence
it becomes a better conducter then the air around it:) doesnt the electricity have to go thru a bunch of air to even reach the car? what about tall trees and whatnot?

Rockski
08-25-2004, 12:28 AM
if the metal cage concept is true, then how come ive seen cars that have been hit and the bolt went straight through the roof? and where can i get a chain stearing wheel like that? (serious, i need it to go with my yosemite sam "back off" mudflaps)

bigboom
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Rockski
if the metal cage concept is true, then how come ive seen cars that have been hit and the bolt went straight through the roof? and where can i get a chain stearing wheel like that? (serious, i need it to go with my yosemite sam "back off" mudflaps)

ive never seen any that have gone straight through the roof. it hits in one place sure but its ditributed throughout the frame of the car.