PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup left behind because of weight limits

roopi
08-24-2004, 08:04 AM
All I can say is Idiots!
:banghead:

Associated Press
FORT ST. JOHN, British Columbia -- The Stanley Cup spent Sunday night in luggage limbo.

The fabled trophy disappeared during an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Fort St. John over the weekend when Vancouver airline officials removed it from the plane because of weight restrictions.

Walter Neubrand, keeper of the Cup, was delivering the trophy to Jake Goertzen, head scout for the Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning.

As the two waited by the baggage claim, it didn't take long for them to realize something was wrong.

"We were waiting for it to come out," Goertzen said. "Everybody's bag was there, except the Cup."

Air Canada agents checked the plane, but there was no sign of the Cup or its special travel container.

After a call to Vancouver, they learned the 35-pound Cup was sitting in the Vancouver airport's luggage area 750 miles away. It was too heavy to fly.

Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said the Cup was held in a secured facility overnight and flown to Fort St. John to be "placed in its rightful hands" early Monday. Cooke said the airline is reviewing how the mistake occurred.

Goertzen described the situation as a nightmare.

"[Neubrand] told them specifically it was the Stanley Cup," Goertzen said. "He is just so distraught."

Fitness gym owner Brent Lock, who had planned to view the Cup Sunday night, said he doesn't understand how Air Canada could have left it behind.

"It's not like it's a brown paper bag; it's the holy grail," he said. "It's probably the most important non-religious artifact in Canada."

xkon
08-24-2004, 08:48 AM
ha ha ha

someones gonna get fired!!

nismodrifter
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm not surprised....seems like shitty service is what Air Canada is all about.
I've never seen worse baggage handling than the shit that we went through a couple days ago with Air Canada on the return trip from india.We got to the airport 3 hours early....then after all the security bullshit we get in line and it takes us an huor to get to the desk where they put the tags and shit on yyour bags. The guy gets 4/10 bags processed and then his PC locks up. He shits his pants because he doesn't know what to do. We wait there for like 2hours while they figure out what to do, no professionalism...everybbody is yelling at each other in front of the computer that is messed. Everybody else is gone...we are the last people on the flight left getting our bags checked in. Then to top it off, while we are waiting for their PC to get fixed their god damn supervisor has the nerve to come and tell us that we are late and that we should have came earlier...
:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:
Worst service I have EVER seen in my life by an Airline...

FiveFreshFish
08-24-2004, 09:42 AM
It's no wonder Air Canada shares were suspended at $0.07. :rofl:

Ben
08-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Thats pretty frickin sad.

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 09:47 AM
umm, i realise it is the "stanley cup" and most people treat it like a god, but this whole article is comeplaining becase wir canada did not make an exception for it?? what if i had something that was 35 lbs that was more important to em than my own life... you think anybody would give a shit, not likely, they'd make me get it couriered or some shit... i know the stanley cup is important and all, but to complain because you're breaking the rules and they did not make an exception for you... thats just arrogant and ignorent if you ask me.

Ben
08-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
umm, i realise it is the "stanley cup" and most people treat it like a god, but this whole article is comeplaining becase wir canada did not make an exception for it?? what if i had something that was 35 lbs that was more important to em than my own life... you think anybody would give a shit, not likely, they'd make me get it couriered or some shit... i know the stanley cup is important and all, but to complain because you're breaking the rules and they did not make an exception for you... thats just arrogant and ignorent if you ask me.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Considering the value, irreplacability, and public images as well as corporate influence on that 35 lb item, I would damn well home it would have an exception made. Exceptions are made all the time in every day life.

Your reply is even more ignorant. You should know business is far more important than personal.

Hakkola
08-24-2004, 11:23 AM
umm, i realise it is the "stanley cup" and most people treat it like a god, but this whole article is comeplaining becase wir canada did not make an exception for it??

The fact that they didn't make exception is only half the issue. They did not notify the keeper of the cup and that's huge, imagine waiting for a national treasure and it doesn't show up and you have no idea why.

ryder_23
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
what if i had something that was 35 lbs that was more important to em than my own life...

cause if an airline company has so much shit in there, a simple 35pounds will fix the problem? I dont think they'd cut it that close

FiveFreshFish
08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

cause if an airline company has so much shit in there, a simple 35pounds will fix the problem? I dont think they'd cut it that close

The cup may have been one of several items left behind that could have included other parcels and luggage.

ryder_23
08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
^
i figured that, but they dont mention it...just going by what i see :D

fast95pony
08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by xkon
ha ha ha

someones gonna get fired!!

I doubt it. If they actually blame anybody, he'll get suspended
with pay for a week or two to "think about his actions". :rolleyes:
That's how AC's unions work...

The Cup was probably bumped off the flight along with other bags. This happens quite often on the smaller aircraft,where weight is a problem.

However , the AC staff should have told the Cup's keeper it was being bumped BEFORE the flight left Vancouver,so he would have the option of staying with it in Vancouver.

It comes down to the mess that AC is in . The staff have zero moral .No one cares anymore.

blueripper6
08-24-2004, 08:29 PM
My dad worked for Canadian and now works for Air Canada because of the merger.

He said that they knew it was the cup, and they did it because they are dicks because calgary lost.
Which is not surprising cause air canada is a bunch of dinks, in my expierences the only good ones are the old canadian employees.

Gonthro
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
My dad worked for Canadian and now works for Air Canada because of the merger.

He said that they knew it was the cup, and they did it because they are dicks because calgary lost.
Which is not surprising cause air canada is a bunch of dinks, in my expierences the only good ones are the old canadian employees.

i dont beleive that for one second, if anythign vancouver is happy that calgary lost because we knocked them out.

BumpinTalon
08-24-2004, 09:03 PM
it's the cup and air canada. if anything - this should be just another excuse to finally shut down that fucking shitty ass airline that has sucked up government money for fucking years. why would you bail out an airline that has spent so long putting together its horrible reputation? No matter what - people are always going to remember Air Canada for who they've been for the past decade, no matter how many new managers come through.

If you are Canadian, you don't lose the cup - ever - period - for any reason. Who cares if Tampa won? It's OUR Cup.

inawiJ
08-27-2004, 01:35 AM
now thats hilariouss

bbcustoms
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Classic Air Canada
Those guys are useless

GQBalla
08-27-2004, 02:04 PM
HAHAHAH wow how stupid can people get? ahahha pretty funny!

Proyecto2000
08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
lloll

Majestic12
09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Yea, Air Canada sucks.. They lost my buddy's passport in Hawaii, and tried to make it out to be his fault.

And after he complained directly to the president of Air Canada, what did he get?

AIR MILES.

How lame is that.