PDA

View Full Version : stealth problems

markymark
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
hey
I have a 92 dodge stealth twin turbo
The other day after i had the boost controller on for about a minute it started kicking out blue smoke from the engine and when i shift...there is also a knocking noise is coming from the bottom of the engine. its like a double noise so clank-clank. Then there was a bit of oil sitting on top of the heads.
I was debating tearing the engine apart and looking at it myself to see whats wrong but i dont know too much about import engines so im gonna take it to a shop to get a diagnostic on it all but first i wanna see if any of the import guys on here know anything that it could be. At first I assumed that my turbo was blown and kicking back oil but i was told then it wouldnt be knocking like that, so i assumed that its a headgasket...does this seem right? anyone know anything else it could be? A friend told me that those engines with a boost controller turned to too high a PSI can heat the engine up and actually weld the rings onto the block and then break them off...
if anyone has any other suggestions itd be awesome right now.
Thanks to anyone who knows anything.

Weapon_R
08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Doesn't sound like a headgasket problem to me.

Sounds like your engine needs replacement.

EK 2.0
08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
sounds like your motor is toast my friend...if you can...pull off one of the intake tubes to the turbo though...just to rule out a hooped snail...

other than that...Import Mills are just like domestic mills...run a compression test...both wet AND dry and see what it leaves you with...

if you have any other questions PM me or post here...

Arif.

CelicaST-162
08-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Clank Clank, blue smoke....assuming it burns oil then, do you check your oil level often? Clank Clank is usually a spun bearing.

canadiandaytona
08-24-2004, 09:39 PM
How high did you turn up the boost?
do you have an air fuel or EGT meter?

Compression test definatly a good start.

markymark
08-24-2004, 09:41 PM
the oil pressure gauge doesnt work so i check the oil alot...
It was checked half an hour before it happened and shortly after.
no the only aftermarket meters i have on right now are Voltage and boost.
the boost was at about 12 when it happened. which im an idiot for doing in the first place....

EK 2.0
08-24-2004, 09:44 PM
if your boost guage is accurate...12PSI on the 6G72 is not enough to blow it up...trust me:D

now its starting to sound more and more like a spun bearing...

you can rebuild if you wish to, and have time...or replace the motor with a newer one from JDM Land...

I have included a link to a great source for JDM motors...they are called...

JDM Source (http://www.jdmsource.ca/)

give them a shout for some pricing...the owner is a great guy to deal with and very up-front...

markymark
08-24-2004, 09:45 PM
have you had any expirence with rebuilding after a spun bearing? how much is involved"? also if a spun bearing that shouldnt blow smoke should it...?

EK 2.0
08-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by markymark
have you had any expirence with rebuilding after a spun bearing? how much is involved"?

you CAn just replace the bearing and put everything back together...thats the DSM way:D...or take the time, pull the motor and do everything right...take aprt the block, build it up to be a MONSTER...and then call it a day...I have included a link to the Stealth/3000GT forums...ask away on there, they can and will offer you WAY more info than most of the people on here can...

Stealth/3000GT (http://www.3si.org/)

the "clank, clank" you describe indicates a spun bearing...

markymark
08-24-2004, 09:52 PM
lol i would love to build it up myself it would be awesome to learn how these engines go toegether a bit better than i do but i dont think i have time or money...
Thanks to anyone who gave any opinions

:)

CLiVE
08-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a spun bearing. A stock 6g72TT can handle up to 14-15 psi without any problems. I suggest you head over to the stealth/3000gt forums. We'll help you there. www.canada3si.org or www.3si.org. There is a company out of Winnipeg that is selling stealth motors for about 3 grand.

markymark
08-24-2004, 10:02 PM
one more quick thing to ask for Clive or Cyclone, if it is just a spun bearing how does this describe smoke?

HillBilly
08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I run my Twin Turbo Stealth at 14.5 psi every day and it has never had a problem.

Spun bearing for sure..

markymark
08-27-2004, 05:51 PM
hey
I found out exactly whats wrong with my engine today. There is a collapsed piston.
So my engine is screwed. so JDM source it is, i just have a question or 2.. they get their engines from japan so a 3000gt...so when i get an engine do i need to get a different transmision? And does this engine fit in a stealth without any modifications (engine mounts, censors etc.)? Does the computer match up right?
Also does anyone know of a shop in calgary or edmonton that is good at doing swaps like this because i dont really wanna screw it up by doing something like this on my own for my first time.
Thx

EK 2.0
08-27-2004, 10:19 PM
everything bolts right in...aside from the sensors...a few you might need to change to make it "N/A Spec"...or you can forgo a few of the emissions controls thats up to you...

But it should all work...you should be able to keep your current ECU and everything...but check out the 3000GT forums that I and a few others posted...there is TONS of info there...

DSM Power
08-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by markymark
Also does anyone know of a shop in calgary or edmonton that is good at doing swaps like this because i dont really wanna screw it up by doing something like this on my own for my first time.

Well if you check out the forums that CLiVE mentioned, one of the guys on there will probably have some suggestions for you.
:werd:

HillBilly
08-30-2004, 07:54 AM
there are differences in 3000GT engines...

91-93 - 300hp OBD I
94-98 - 320hp OBD I/II Hybrid
99 - 320hp OBD I/II Hybrid with advanced roller rockers to keep the engine a little quieter. (best choice but good luck finding one)

markymark
09-23-2004, 09:10 PM
i just dug this thread up today and noticed there is an edit.
Does a 99 bolt on to my tranny the same? and is that 20hp just from the boost?