PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Timing

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 01:26 AM
When someone advances the timing on a vehicle, what exactly is done?

And what would be the ideal advance for my car? How many "teeth" should it be moved? Any disadvantages associated with doing it?

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 01:40 AM
It all depends on the engine but basically advancing the ignition timing will cause the fuel air charge to begin burning earlier and which gives you lower exhaust temperatures as the engine becomes more thermodynamically efficient (this is obviously more important in turbo cars). There is a point where advancing the timing no longer yields increases in power (torque, whatever) because the combustion event is occuring too early and loads the piston as it approaches top dead center with force equal to that of the subsequent increased force on the downstroke.

In general, advancing timing will always result in an increase in power since detonation will usually occur before this point.

Bottom line:

Lean out the mixture until the point of best power. Then advance the timing until the onset of detonation and back it off slightly.

This is very difficult with the factory ECU...hope this gives you some insight
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 01:43 AM
Thanks man that was very informative. Any ideas on how much gain I can expect? Is it something noticable?

Do you know where it can be done and how much it costs? Any disadvantages to doing it?

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 01:53 AM
I always run 92 octane anyways.

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Thanks man that was very informative. Any ideas on how much gain I can expect? Is it something noticable?

Do you know where it can be done and how much it costs? Any disadvantages to doing it?
Im basically making reference to my car and amnot entirely sure how much advancing will give you in terms of hp, it may be best for one of the NA honda guys on here to give you the proper numbers in which to advance timing but Id give 12 or 13 degrees a shot. I you advance the timing too much it will lead to pining or knocking. This can be heard, typically at full throttle when under a lot of load (like driving up a hill in mid rpm range). Knocking is a bad thing, but will not blow up your engine. Using premium gas will help..

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 01:58 AM
it doesnt cost much to advance it, find out how much would be best for your car and either go buy a timing light , or borrow one and do it yourself or take it to any shop, takes about 5 minutes if that

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 02:04 AM
Thanks redlyne, i read about it a bit on another integra site. It seems really easy to do, but the only thing I haven't found yet is what it means to set the timing at 16 degrees BTDC. I don't know what that means exactly...

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Thanks redlyne, i read about it a bit on another integra site. It seems really easy to do, but the only thing I haven't found yet is what it means to set the timing at 16 degrees BTDC. I don't know what that means exactly...
btdc means before top dead center..top dead center is when the piston is at its highest point ..16 degrees sounds like alot but like I said im not a honda guy..
heres some steps to give you an idea on how to do some advancing...the wrench sizes may be different for your car I just used mine as reference
Advancing the timming will give you about 5hp on top end, you will lose some low end power though..

1.Locate the Distributor cap. IF you don't know what that is, follow the spark plug wires until ll four reach a rubber cap.

2.Locate the timing adjustment bolt. there us a 14mm bolt going into the engine. it is on the left side of the distributor cap.

3. Use a marker and draw a reference line on the distributor and engine. (so that you know where stock is!)

4. after you drew the reference line, loosen the bolt (do not remove it).

5. you should now be able to rotate the distributor, (if not, loosen the bolt some more.

6. Rotate the distributor about 5 degres in the CounterClockwise direction. If you don't know what 5 degres is, look at a clock, each hour is 30 degres. so you want to turn it about 1 minute.

Caution: turning it too much can cause detonation. Also, Make sure your stock timing was set to specs.

7. Tighten the bolt, start the engine and go for a drive.

8. If you feel the car misfiring o making a ping sound, basically if it runs like ass, then stop the car and turn it back a little until it drives like it did
:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-11-2002, 02:17 AM
all i know is....with a crx si, u can advance the timing as far as it will go with no problems!

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 02:18 AM
hehe sounds really easy to do. Do I have to be concerned about that BTDC or just trial and error kind of thing? Is there any concern about reliability or damage to the engine?