PDA

View Full Version : Torque Steer

szw
11-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Can someone explain to me what it feels like?

People with my car always complain about it. I imagined it as the car wanting to turn as you accelerate.

I find nothing like that though. BUT..when I take a 90 degree turn, sometimes my steering wheel doesn't rotate back very well. I have to give it some effort to straighten out the car. Is this it? Or something unrelated and should get checked out?

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 02:00 AM
it feels like someone else is controlling the steering wheel , you have to hold on to it and fight the car to keep it going in the direction you want it to go in

szw
11-11-2002, 02:10 AM
I don't feel it when going straight or accelerating, but I definately feel that when coming out of a turn. Does that count?

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by szw
I don't feel it when going straight or accelerating, but I definately feel that when coming out of a turn. Does that count?
it shoudl come back normalyy are you hauling ass around these corners?

GTS Jeff
11-11-2002, 02:21 AM
no ok, torque steer is this.

from a stop, floor your car without holding onto the steering wheel. if it pulls to one side, thats tq steer.

tq steer is present when theres more power being sent to one wheel than the other. this is usually in fwd longitudinally mounted engines that have different length shafts..

i wouldnt epect much tq steer in your spec v tho, cuz of the lsd which evens out power distribution a bit ;)

szw
11-11-2002, 02:33 AM
I'm going around the corners at about 20-30 km/hr.

I'll try to reciprocate the problem in different and situations (left/right/speeds) and then we'll see whats going on.

4wheeldrift
11-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

i wouldnt epect much tq steer in your spec v tho, cuz of the lsd which evens out power distribution a bit ;) Ever driven a Spec V? or any sentra? It torque steers damn near as badly as a front wheel drive talon, and they are notorious for huge torque steer (they'll literally yank the wheel right out of your hands)

turboMiata
11-11-2002, 10:08 AM
Torque steer is most noticeable if you mash on the throttle while turning (or sometimes in a straight line). Especially if you have a modded car witih plenty of low end power (e.g. SC).

My G60 Corrado had absolutely the worst torque steer ever. I fight with the damned thing all the time and it sucked. I love all VWs but my 4 years driving a FWD torque steer monster was the reason why I sold it for the Miata.

Jeff TYPE R, your torque steer explanation looked like it came from the dictionary!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
11-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Ever driven a Spec V? or any sentra? It torque steers damn near as badly as a front wheel drive talon, and they are notorious for huge torque steer (they'll literally yank the wheel right out of your hands)

yup i almost lost one when i was working for nissan man all that powers yanks the steering wheel right out of your hands
got caught by surprise the first time i drove it in the lot

SpeedStar
11-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
It torque steers damn near as badly as a front wheel drive talon, and they are notorious for huge torque steer (they'll literally yank the wheel right out of your hands)

:werd: haha! happens A LOT First day I had my new 16g turbo the torque steer nearly mounted me up on a curb :burnout: :nut: LOL

GTS Jeff
11-11-2002, 07:43 PM
actually i havent driven a spec v....(hint hint sean haha)

Fuji
11-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata
Torque steer is most noticeable if you mash on the throttle while turning (or sometimes in a straight line). Especially if you have a modded car witih plenty of low end power (e.g. SC).

My G60 Corrado had absolutely the worst torque steer ever. I fight with the damned thing all the time and it sucked. I love all VWs but my 4 years driving a FWD torque steer monster was the reason why I sold it for the Miata.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HAHA I found that too when I drove it... My buddy bought it from you... Randolph... your car is in cali now!!!!