PDA

View Full Version : buffer and polish?

beyondpinoy
08-26-2004, 04:09 PM
ok ive been reading up on how to paint my car, and everywhere i read, they say i need to buffer my car after the paint job is all done and dried, so i went to canadian tire to get a buffer, and i couldn't find any, all i found were a bunch of polisher's and wax applicators orbital thingy's.. whats the difference's between buffering and polishing?

bbcustoms
08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
You need a variable speed polisher usually from 1000-3000 rpm as well as a good cut polish
You should also wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper to get the dust nibs out first
Polishing is very tricky and you can ruin your paint job if you dont do it correctly
Also it is better to wait about a month for the paint to cure before polishing to acheive your best finish

Spyderman_MaryJ
08-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
Polishing is very tricky and you can ruin your paint job if you dont do it correctly

Yes be careful using a polisher if you have not used it before. The differance between a polisher and an orbital buffer, is a polisher spins in a circle (like a sander/grinder) where as a buffer or orbital spins on two axis so you can't "catch an edge" and burn through the paint. Go to http://detailcity.com/ it's a great resource for auto detailing and you should be able to get more info on polishers and orbitals.

bmeier
09-17-2004, 09:38 PM
I would not touch my car with anything if i got it painted, get a professional to do it if you care about your car.

I have watched alot of people screw cars up doing it themselves....

if you are really intent on doing it yourself though, you should practice on something else first. and definately wetsand your car too.