PDA

View Full Version : Gun laws

szw
11-11-2002, 03:39 PM
What exactly are the gun laws in this country and in the US?

I'm just curious cuz I never knew exactly who can have guns and what not.

And another thing...every single main internet forum I've watched, has had some thread like "What kind of gun do you own?", "Whats your fav. ammo?", "Favourite gun?"...

Zephyr
11-11-2002, 03:46 PM
states u can't own anything higher than a shotgun and rifles r limited. pistons have no limits jsut require a registered license to handle one. if an intruder comes into ur house and u point a gun at them, u have to empty your entire clip to show a sign of fear. thus if they do survive and sue you in court, you have that to show as defense and evidence. you can carry a gun with you outside, as long as its in the holster and its displayed publicaly and can be seen from anyone. guns of any type require and must have a gun lock.

Ben
11-11-2002, 04:23 PM
anadas laws are pretty stiff...Anything with a barrel length of less than 8 inches requres a restricted licence...automatics are prohibited. In order to purchase a gun, you must have a valid licence which requires you to take a firearms safetly course. You can also not have a criminal record.

redline
11-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Any restricted firearm also needs proper storage and a permit to transport if you want to take the firearm anywhere but your house.

So if you had a hand gun and you are a member of a gun club you need a FAC, Club membership, permit to transport, a restricted licence for the handgun. And the firearm must be securely stored for transport. And you can only be in a direct route from your house to the gun club. If you get caught anywhere but in a direct line bye-bye gun and hello big fines.

bol
11-11-2002, 04:47 PM
All handguns are Restricted weapons, only for use for target shooting and competitions. Any handgun with a barrel of less than 105mm is a Prohibited weapon and unavailable for purchase to anyone but grandfathered individuals(people already owning these guns before the firearms act was put into place.) All rifles, shotguns with an overall length of 660mm or greater are non-restricted weapons.

There are two types of gun licenses, non-restricted with permits you to buy and use non-restricted guns. Restricted licenses allow you to buy and use handguns with barrels no less than 105mm.

There are two firearms safety courses(non-restricted and restricted), both of which _ARE_ optional. You can buy the course manuals and challange the exams(but if you don't have prior firearms experience, it's not a good idea to challange the exams - there is a lot of material covered and practical tests.)

Then theres the prohibitted guns, all automatics, handguns with barrels less than 105mm, .25 or .35 handguns, long guns of less than 660mm, etc. If you don't already have one of these guns, there is no way to legally buy one.

There are also two different types of licenses, POL(Possesion only) and PAL(Possesion and acuisition.) The POL is for people who don't need to buy new guns, only ammo, and is only around because of the new firearms laws, so that people with the old firearms license(FAC) don't have to go through a lot of trouble to 'get legal.'

There is _NO_ concealed carry in Canada, don't even think about it.

If you just want to shoot off a few rounds, goto the shooting edge(http://www.theshootingedge.com/). Although really pricey, $50 for 50rounds of 9mm para, what a joke! They're pretty good with new shooters and will help you out a lot with proper technique.

Oh, and I'm not going to tell you what my favourite ammo is :D

badseed
11-14-2004, 05:04 PM
I ended up takin my course there (PAL). The course instructor told us there was a 28 day processing period before our applications would even be looked at, after that it all depends. I'm hopin to receive mine b4 xmas.

Question for bol - Can you bring your own ammunition to "The shooting edge" if you own your own hangun and posses all necessary permits???? I'm wondering cuz then you would just have to pay the day fee for using the range right???? If not if your a member can you use your own ammo atleast??

Ben
11-14-2004, 05:20 PM
You can bring your own ammo and stuff to the shooting edge :)

Just pay the day fee :)

If you use their guns you have to use their ammo.

badseed
11-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Thats what I thought

Thanx:thumbsup:

Toms-SC
11-14-2004, 06:53 PM
Any outdoor rifle ranges Ben?

Ben
11-14-2004, 09:40 PM
The Steve Johnson Range - Located in north east Calgary, adjacent to the Calgary International Airport and close to Deerfoot Shopping Mall.

The Homestead Shooting Centre - This facility is located in the foothills of the Rockies, 45 minutes west of Calgary. It contains a 900 meter range, a 300 meter range, a Smallbore Silhouette range, a High Power Silhouette Range, a 100, 200 & 300 meter Benchrest range and has a 50 meter pistol range.

http://www.albertarifle.com/Images-subs/Map.jpg

Calgary Firearms Association - South of Calgary Near De'Winton

http://www.aheia.com/gunclub.html#Firearms%20Centre%20Map

There are a few others, I know there's one out towards Indus as well.