PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 question

Paul
08-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey,

I've recently been compairing a number of SUV's that i'm considering purchasing.

- 2001 Land Rover Discovery II
- 2000 Cadillac Escalade
- 2001 Infiniti QX4

I was on the Canada Consumer Guide doing a cross comparison of all 3 when i got a little stumped. It says that the drive train for the Escalade and the QX4 are 4x4 and for the Land Rover it's All Wheel. Can some one give me an answer to what the difference between these 2 are? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

ole dsm
08-28-2004, 01:00 PM
the cady and the infinity u must switch the lever or the button in 2wd till u do that. and the land rover it is an all wheel drive (traction sensitive ) syatem were its not fully in 4x4 untill u shift it into 4x4 at that time i believe that the transfercase /differentials actually lock up.

if u actually go offroading then i would recomend the landrover

turboMiata
08-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
the land rover it is an all wheel drive (traction sensitive ) syatem were its not fully in 4x4 untill u shift it into 4x4 at that time i believe that the transfercase /differentials actually lock up.

Wrong. AWD systems are sometimes called full time awd. That's because there are actually three differentials, front, center and rear. Power is transfered from the engine to the center diff, which is then proportioned to both front and rear axles according to torque bias. When there is minimal torque bias, power will be transmitted equally between front and back.

There is no way on a fulltime AWD to go into 2WD unless you remove a prop shaft. That's why it's called full time. The lever on the discovery allows you to lock the center diff only, so torque is split equally between front and back. If you go with a 2001 discovery, make sure it has a CDL.

The drivetrain on the escalade and QX4 does not use a center diff. It's actually a transfer case. When you shift to say, 4H or 4L, it locks up the t-case so power gets transmitted to the front wheels.

Paul
08-28-2004, 02:39 PM
which set-up is better?

turboMiata
08-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Both are awesome and bulletproof.

Kenny_boy
09-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Paul
which set-up is better?

Well, I would go with one I can shift out of 4wd to 2wd if your concerned with fuel economy, and when you are in 4wd, you don't have as sharp of a turning radius, plus for being able to shift out of 4wd, and when you are in the middle of summer, why do you want all 4 tires providing power on dry pavement, sure you get better acceleration, but after that, it is just a drain on your fuel consumption...