PDA

View Full Version : 3M protective film tape

MGC
08-28-2004, 12:47 PM
hey,

I searched in all the other forums about the 3M protective films and stuff but couldn't find the answer. many asked where they where able o purchase a role of this badboy to protect there hoods and such but to no avale.

So I just got my front bumper and hood painted and I wanted to protect it.

So can anyone tell me where I can go get my hands on a couple of rolls. and how much would they run me.

Thanks everyone.

buh_buh
08-28-2004, 12:48 PM
just get a professional to do it.
Go to Shadow Tint.

Mckenzie
08-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah once that stuff goes on it cannot be removed without taking your paint with it. Before I got my car painted I asked the painter about it and he showed it tear a strip off my car.

Get the pros to do it.

Zeibart does it but Shadow is very reputable

MGC
08-28-2004, 01:55 PM
hey thanks guy. do you know some prices. the auto body place that I got my car painted quoted me for 175. Iam guessing thats pretty cheap for the front bumper of my mdx

MGC
08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I was planning to go to auto protectors to have my car 3m protected there. any reviews on the place? thanks

custom culture
08-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Yeah once that stuff goes on it cannot be removed without taking your paint with it. Before I got my car painted I asked the painter about it and he showed it tear a strip off my car.

Get the pros to do it.

Zeibart does it but Shadow is very reputable

It wont take the paint off i use it every day...granted once its on its on..however a heat gun and a little work can remove it..if your car was just painted i dont reccomend doing it for 2 months(allow proper time for clear to harden) When applying keep hood and film wet...very wet...dont let the film contact its self. you can buy the good stuff from cmax or uap napa.

grocko
08-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, a heat gun will work to take it off...had to take it off a vw I was prepping once....takes some time if you don't want to ruin the paint...3M Trimline is a damn good place to get it done too :thumbsup:

ACS-e36
09-16-2004, 12:30 AM
i wanna get 3m film so i can protect my external screen on my phone

Chester
09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
i wanna get 3m film so i can protect my external screen on my phone

:werd: I was thinkin about doin that a couple of months ago, you just reminded me

?????
09-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Chester

:werd: I was thinkin about doin that a couple of months ago, you just reminded me

You got some extra 3m film left over? :D

Kenny_boy
09-16-2004, 08:20 PM
K, quick question, i am jsut getting into the car stuff and such, so what exactly does this stuff do, just protects the paint, and from what exactly, like would it protect key scratches and stuff or what...?:dunno:

?????
09-16-2004, 10:40 PM
It basically protects your hood, bumper, side mirrors and whatever you decide to put it on from rock chips. You would normally just "apply" (can't think of the word to describe the procedure) it to places with high risk of getting rock chips and such like whatever is stated above.

abyss
09-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I have that 3M film on my hood....car is "champagne" colored, but the film is really dirty, and I think it's stained or something, cause no matter how much I wash it it still stays yucky, anybody know any good cleaning products that would take the dirt out?
Thanks.

Weapon_R
09-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Off topic, but staples or any other office supply store has something that protects palm pilot screens which is excellent for cell phones.

Bonka
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I was told by my bodyshop that rock ships and road debris can still go through the tape??

I had inquired when I got a quote to have my car repainted.

FiveFreshFish
10-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Bonka
I was told by my bodyshop that rock ships and road debris can still go through the tape??

The 3M stuff protects against most rock chips. It would have to be a pretty big rock to go through it.

RiceCake
10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

The 3M stuff protects against most rock chips. It would have to be a pretty big rock to go through it.

It would have to be a pretty big rock or one going at a very high speed:eek:

KoukiS14
10-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake

It would have to be a pretty big rock or one going at a very high speed:eek:

Yup, seen it. My dads mirror on his car took a nice one last year. Right through the film and into the mirror body itself chipping/denting it. Im curious as to how well my driving lights are protected, cause its alot thicker than normal.

DuPont
11-20-2004, 12:15 PM
I've heard 3M is discontinuing their "rock gaurd" It's the thiner stuff. Supposedly only western Canada uses it, so the demand isn't great enough.
They still make "riccochet" which is alot thicker, and should only be used on headlights, fogs, and relatively flat surfaces. Riccochet is so thick it can't be wrapped, or follow compound curves, so it just peels, and yellows.
Another company "Avery" who makes plastic products like 3-ring binder protective sheets, and stuff like that, is going to start making something simmilar though.

S14maniac
11-27-2004, 12:39 PM
how much is this film thing?? i saw it on TV but iw as told its really expensive?

three33
12-03-2004, 09:43 PM
if you go to the auto protectors they get it the 3m done at shadow tinting...as for the "riccochet" there are some guys out the who use a heat gun to heat it up and they put it on just like the 3m...its is almost double the thickness of the 3m...the whole idea of the 3m if to appear invisible....your looking at abou 200-300 bux to get the 3m done as far as i know but it is really worth it imo