PDA

View Full Version : AMP install, where and how much

inspire
11-11-2002, 08:19 PM
i want to get my amp installed, i am just wondering where i shuold get it installed and how much it will cost?

infamous
11-11-2002, 08:20 PM
well it depends on how much you wanna spend...you can get it done cheap but it would prolly be shitty...or you can go higher end and have it done really nice...how much you looking to spend?

HRD2PLZ
11-11-2002, 08:23 PM
I get my installs done at A&B sound. I don't think amp installs are that expensive there. There's a few people on the board that might be able to get you a deal.

inspire
11-11-2002, 09:23 PM
well....i looked around, its not so much the price of install, its only around $40, which is very reasonable, its just that the price of wires like amp wiring kit, fuse, and rca's is like $180! umm...anyone have hookups so that i can buy some of this stuff for cheap??

D'z Nutz
11-11-2002, 09:38 PM
see: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4688

Just look for the cheapest kit you can find and have them install your amp with that, even if it's from Radio Shack or Walmart. $180 for a wiring kit is highway robbery.

Impreza
11-11-2002, 09:44 PM
will the sound quality drop dramatically if inspire buys the stuff from radio shack instead? cause if he buys the stuff for $180 it is prolly phoenix gold or something of the sort

D'z Nutz
11-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
will the sound quality drop dramatically if inspire buys the stuff from radio shack instead? cause if he buys the stuff for $180 it is prolly phoenix gold or something of the sort

see: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4688

There's no way a Pheonix Gold kit would cost $180, and if it did, they'd be playing anyone buying it for suckers.

inspire
11-11-2002, 09:54 PM
umm...it was phoenix gold, but the kit was only like $80, i included the cost of rca's which is a minimum of $100.....
so, i think i am gonna go the walmart or radio shack way...
can someone give me a list of EXACTLY EVERYTHING i need to buy?? from cables to fuses, etc...
how much r the rca's?? i dont wanna pay $100

do the kits from walmart or radio shack include everything?? like rca's too?

D'z Nutz
11-11-2002, 10:07 PM
You'd have to check with those kits yourself, I'm not sure. (Or ask someone who's purchased them.)

If you're just wiring a simple set up for speakers, you're probably not going to need anything bigger than:

- 10 gauge wire for power and ground
- 12 gauge speaker wire
- a battery clamp
- fuse and fuse holder
- rca's

Make sure you have enough length from the battery to where ever you're going to mount your amp. Your ground wire should be as short as possible, so anything less than 3 feet should be fine. Also, enough wiring to get from your amp to where ever your speakers will be mounted. And a long enough RCA cable to get from your deck to your amp.

Generally if you get a kit, it should be long enough. Some come with rca's, some don't.

inspire
11-11-2002, 11:15 PM
and i can buy this ALL at wal-mart or radio shack?
AND
if i plan on buying another amp for a sub later on, should i buy 4gauge instead?

Weapon_R
11-11-2002, 11:33 PM
it all comes in a single kit for about 14 dollars from Walmart. Everything you need to wire an amp. Everything.

inspire
11-11-2002, 11:37 PM
and the quality is not bad right?

boi-alien
11-11-2002, 11:41 PM
ludelvr and his ghetto hookups can prolly get u a good dea

inspire
11-12-2002, 12:12 AM
anyone have good sites on how to install and amp??
and how do i hook up my crossovers to my amp??

i am a newbie at this car audio stuff....

eur0
11-12-2002, 12:50 AM
I was and still am a complete newbie at doing audio but my buddy showed me how easy it was and I was like haha shit thats what you get $40 for doing?? Its really not that hard, goto a&b buy a 10gauge wiring kit, it comes with everything you need, Its like $65...

It has a simple diagram on how to hook it up (it includes remote wire, rcas, 10guage wiring, lots of speaker wire, etc.)

All you need is this kit and some butt connectors and a crimping tool (you can get that at canadian tire). Other than that your all set! :thumbsup:

- Just red power wire to your amp (it needs to go through your firewall)
- rcas from amp to deck
- remote from deck to amp
- speaker wire from amp to speaker(s)/sub(s)
- ground wire from your amp to some metal body part on your car.

Not sure about xovers but im pretty sure it tells you in the packedge...lemme know if you need any help

D'z Nutz
11-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Just to add to what tbk49 said:

Originally posted by tbk49
- Just red power wire to your amp (it needs to go through your firewall)
- rcas from amp to deck

Just make sure they're pointed in the correct direction. The RCA's should have an arrow on them, which should point towards your amp (since the signal is coming from your head unit to the amp).

- remote from deck to amp

I knew I forgot something! Some RCA's will have a remote wire already attached it them. If not, it's just a simple thin wire which connects from one of your power wires from your deck to the amp.

- ground wire from your amp to some metal body part on your car.

It might be a good idea to sand off the paint you're going to connect to.

Not sure about xovers but im pretty sure it tells you in the packedge...lemme know if you need any help

Just connect the xovers as you would regular speakers.

D'z Nutz
11-12-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by inspire
and the quality is not bad right?

There's no such thing as "bad" quality wiring, cause wire is just wire, regardless of how it looks. The "good" quality wiring is usually stuff reserved for competitions, which you probably wouldn't even notice a difference in sound anyways.

hjr
11-19-2002, 02:41 AM
The only thing that really matters in reguards to wire is size. for the power, i would sujest at least 6 to 8 gauge. Most people dont realize the difference a nice thick wire can make. It just makes it easier for the power to flow. (im using 4 ga, as is my friends golf, and my dads 38 chevy coupe)

You might also want to run a dedicated ground wire, of the same gauge as the power, right back to the - battery post.

Quality is usually determined by the size of the actual copper strands. Finer is better. More flexible, more material, easier to work with.

additionally, if your doing your own install, do it right with wire connectors and even soder if ya got it. No twisting the wires together and electr. taping them.

Hope this helps:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

i love those things

12V
12-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Im an installer I'll do it!
and I'll get you the best the best deal on an amp kit!

boi-alien
12-18-2002, 11:35 PM
get leo to do it for you