PDA

View Full Version : Rds, Tp, Ta, Tim & Tmc

bart
08-29-2004, 06:03 AM
so, i picked up myself a european OEM navigation system. its got nice stuff, such as RDS, TP, TA, TIM & TMC, but my question, which of these exists in canada?

i know recently RDS started coming into play, which is nice, so instead of my radio saying 96.9, it says JACK FM for example, but not all of them do this.

then there is TP, last time i checked, no radio station had this in calgary, its out in Red Deer. basically if you have this enabled, and you're radio is off, or you're listening to a CD, and there is a TA (traffic announcement) the radio switches to it, because a special signal is transmitted with it.

then there is TIM, associated with TP and TA, if you have TP off, it will digitally record TA's upto 4 minutes, so you can play them back later on your radio by pressing TIM.

finally, the best of them all, TMC! only for navigation units. its dynamic routing. its the rich mans TA. stations with TMC can transmit traffic congestions digitally, telling your nav what streets are blocked, your nav will analyze this info and reroute you...

http://www.rds-tmc.co.uk/

anyone else familiar with these or use these things in their car?

-bart

barmanjay
08-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I can't help you,.... but that's sweet that you got one from europe,..... I was there a while back and my grandma (freakin german speed demon - she's a crazy driver,... makes all those street racing guys look stoooopid, but bless her soul, she's sick and may not pull through) had a deck with some of those options,... I thought it was great,... and was also wondering if North America had the ability for some of those.